close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

riding gear recommendations

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by pt945, Mar 18, 2007.

1. pt945

pt945 GLOCK 17

as i have posted earlier i am about to start riding again for the first time in a LONG time I have found a local 3 day school that is b oth classroom and hands on riding my problem now is what should i consider as far as riding gear (leather pads helmet type etc.) any recomendations are greatly appriciated

chris

2. kAr

kAr Netware Rocks!

I'm pretty partial to my Aerostich Roadcrafter. I have about 17,000 miles on mine. It's very water resistant, and has knee and elbow padding. It is uncomfortable in the heat of Phoenix's summer when your stopped in traffic, but when it's 110 I'm not sure anything wouldn't be.

3. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

Go to www.newenough.com [closeouts] and pick out some stuff. I paid ~$185 for a textile jacket, snell/dot helmet, and gloves. I've probably spend $500 at newenough over the last few years... probably equivalent to $1000+ at a dealer.

4. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Nerd

Yep, newenough.com has some great prices, and accurate reviews of each product too.

I've got three outfits, depending on weather.

1)under 75deg, leather outfit with full perimeter zip and CE armour.

2)75-85deg, identical outfit as above except perforated throughout.

3)85+deg, mesh/textile outfit with rear connect zip.

All of these get worn with boots w/ heel, toe, and ankle protection.

And one of several sets of armored gloves, again depending on temp. Favorite gloves by far are made of Kangaroo. Summer gloves wear out fast.

Helmet is usually a full-face shoei but will occasionally wear a 3/4.

Hmmm UPS just delivered more gear as I'm typing this. I guess I'm a gear junkie.

5. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Give us a price range that you want to spend and the types of riding (easy cruising, sport riding, commuting, bar hopping, etc.) so that we can make some recommendations.

I always recommend http://www.motorhelmets.com because they give extra discount over the typical internet/mail order discount for people who I send over.

6. EdTracker

EdTracker GTDS Lifetime Member

Unless you ride in HOT weather, go with Leather. Mesh doesn't hold up to abrasion at all.

Nice looking and fitting leather gear makes even ugly dudes like myself sexy...

fade in the "I'm too sexy" music.

Anyhow leather never goes out of style and with proper care lasts a long long time.

7. 87vert

87vert

I love my scorpion exo400 helmet, quality and protection of a 400dollar helmet for 140.

8. hapuna

hapuna Trusted Member

Anyone know where I can get some nice chaps at not too expensive a price. Oh yeah and also they have to be full size not skinny butt size.

9. pt945

pt945 GLOCK 17

i will be doing mostly around town crusing with a once amonth trip to my guard unit (weather permitting) which is about 225 miles price is not too much of a factor but i would like to keep my total deal package to $2000 to $3000 thanks for al the replies so far

ps in the words of hapuna no skinny butt sizes

chris

10. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

You can buy a lot of good gears for $2000-3000. A LOT OF GOOD GEARS!!!

As far as helmets go, go find a large motorcycle gears shop like Cycle Gear and try out different helmets. I always suggest Arai because while they're not cheap, they have different models for different head shapes. It's a rarity for a person not to be able to find an Arai that doesn't fit his head. Most other companies only make helmets for one type of head shape. Then you gotta decide if you want a full face helmet (best protection) or an open face helmet. Or a little bit of both as in a modular helmet that flips up at the front but also closes down like a full face. Less of a protection than a full face, less of a convenient than an open face, but a little bit of both. Unfortunately Arai doesn't make these things. Figure between $400-700 for a top quality helmet. Anyway, stick with brands like Arai, Shoei, AGV, Nolan, Dainese, Vemar, Schuberth. These are the top quality brands.

For riding gears that are suitable for around town riding and an occasional long distance cruise then all you need are a heavy leather jacket for cool weather and a heavy textile jacket for hot weather.
    For a heavy leather jacket, I'd recommend AlpineStar brand and Dainese brand for off-the-shelf stuff. These are some of the better upper quality brands. You can always go with the custom route and get something made specifically for from Vanson, Bates, Komodo, Z Custom. Believe it or not, a custom jacket doesn't cost much more than a premium off-the-shelf jacket. Figure around $400-800 for a top quality leather jacket.

For a textile jacket that will take care of the hottest days, I'd suggest for you to go and check out the BMW Venting Machine jacket at your local BMW motorcycle shop. This jacket is black and doesn't have "BMW" emblazoned on it. It's 100% heavy cordura mesh so it doesn't shred like the cheap $100 mesh jackets if you go down. This jacket is MSRP at $450, I think.

For pants, just get yourself a few Draggin' Jeans. These jeans are heavy-duty denim that are reinforced with Kevlar layers at the buttocks and hips area. Figure they go around $100-something a pop. Since that you're just tooting around town and occasional trip, I am not recommending leather pants or heavy textile pants. There are other riding-specific jeans by Icon, Shift, Joe Rocket and AlpineStar too, but Draggin' Jeans were the first and the standards to be judged by. BMW also makes a pants that looks like denim but not denim and it's called INOTEX retailing for $325 a pop. There's also a BMW jacket that makes out of the same INOTEX thing too if you want a denim-looking riding jacket that's made out something a lot better than denim.

For gloves, the very best is made by HELD and they are only sold at premium motorcycle stores or motorcycle gears stores. They go for around $150-250 a pair. But a good pair of AlpineStar will do just fine and these run between $100-150 a pair. Cortech also makes some decent riding gloves for around $70-90 a pair.

For boots, I wholly recommend anything by SIDI. SIDI makes street oriented boots with soles that you can actually walk around on and they look like regular boots or shoes instead of weirded out like a lot of race-type boots. Red Wing makes some nice heavy-duty riding boots too but they don't have the shin stiffeners and ankle protections like SIDI boots do. Figure a good pair of SIDI street boots go for around $150-220 a pair depending on the model. I recommend the Sport Tepor. It's not too high up but high enough to protect your ankle and lower portion of the shin and you can wear them inside your pant legs.

It's very important to go and try out the gears to make sure that they fit. For the first time, it's best to pay full price and shop at the places where you try out the gears. That way you know that the damn things actually fit. After that, when you buy replacement gears in the future, you know what you want and can buy online.

Also stock up on a set of rain gears too if you were to plan on riding in the rain. The riding rain gears are made out of heavier nylon than typical rain gears so that they can withstand the wind blast without becoming tatters.

Most people don't have $2000-3000 to spend on gears but since that you do, might as well buy the very best.

11. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Nerd

BTW newenough.com currently has the Held Profi glove on closeout for $92. I'm thinking about getting a second pair as they're discontinued (after about 6yrs in production).

Also I've been *very* happy with 3 AGV brand leather jackets. They have some cheaper models but the $250+ models are better. Too bad newenough don't sell'em.

Cortech stuff also seems to be well made, and is priced at the low end of "quality" apparel.