close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rider's Edge Instruction

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by Lowrider 49, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Lowrider 49

Lowrider 49

I just watched #2 son go thru the Harley Rider's Edge riding class to get his MC endorsement. I was very impressed with the quality and dedication of the instructors (they call themselves coaches) who gave the class. There were 10 students, half of which had never ridden before and all 10 passed the MD State course qualification and written exam to get their motorcycle endorsement. It was 20 hours long with about 40 miles of riding on a half acre pad.

Guess I'm just trying to say if all the Harley Rider's Edge classes are as good as this one, I would highly recommend them!! It was soo good, I'm thinking about taking the experienced rider class since I learned some things from the basic class and the advanced course may be worth doing.

Has anyone else taken it...if so, what did you think of it??

2. Clydeglide

Clydeglide

Riders Edge is an MSF Course.

Should you do the experienced riders course? Heck Yeah!

Two things will happen. 1, You'll realize what you forgot. 2, You'll probably learn at least one thing you didn't know.

Either way, you're the winner!

:cool:

3. FoxMustang

FoxMustang We Deal in Lead

I took the MSF Basic Rider's Course last year at the local community college. I had a great time and learned a lot. The range portion was most useful to me, as I had never previously ridden a real motorcycle. The classroom portion had good info, but I already knew most of it going in because I read a whole lot and had done my own research beforehand. Regardless, I was in a fun group with good teachers so it was a very enjoyable experience. Even the experienced riders said they got something out of it.

4. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Yep, Rider's Edge uses the same curriculum as MSF except that they use Harleys and Buells to teach the class with. I've seen them primarily with Buells but I've seen one or two Sportsters being used too.

5. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven Señor Mombo Millennium Member

Rider's Edge is exactly the MSF Basic Rider curriculum. However, often RE courses are conducted on ranges that are less than full MSF specification ranges. MSF allows this on a case-by-case basis and often requires a lower maximum number of students in courses taught on such ranges. Twelve students and two instructors in the standard (max) number for a regulation range.

Further, most MSF courses are conducted on beginner bikes that have very low first gear ratios. This way, a student who is 'frozen' at the controls achieves a lower top speed before encoutering something solid.

Buells and Sportsters have *relatively* higher first gear ratios. This, combined with ranges that a smaller than normal, can result is catastrophic accidents.

Two years ago, two riders were killed in seperate instances in RE operated courses. Both were on Blast's. Both courses had sub-standard run-off areas (i.e. fixed objects too close to range).

A really inexperienced rider might be better off availing herself/himself of a bonifed MSF course taught on a STANDARD MSF range.

6. Clydeglide

Clydeglide

Nice anti-Riders Edge post.

I guess that depends on where you live. All the RE courses around Tampa Bay are standard MSF ranges. No Sportsters, only Buell Blasts. All qualified instructors who took the same MSF class to get there. BTW the instructors just read the material out of the manual.

Lower gear ratio = wheelie prone. Yes, you can wheelie a small displacement bike especially if you don't get the clutch/throttle thing.

Since you know how many people died on RE courses perhaps you can tell me where I can find the stats on how many people died on MSF "standard" courses?

If you are anti HD/Buell just say so. No need to go the long way around.

7. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Apropos of nothing, an MSF Ridercoach died a few months back in one of those MSF courses. He was on break, had his helmet off, saw one of the riders went out of control, tried to help catch the bike but went down and bashed his head on the ground.

A Sportster may be a tad heavy for a teaching bike (but I've seen it on the RE courses) but the Blast is about as innocuous as it gets. It has barely any more horsepower than the Ninja 250 which in turn had barely any more horsepower than the Virago or Nighthawk 250 that are used for the MSF course.

8. Lowrider 49

Lowrider 49

Blasts are great little bikes. I have an 2001 that both my boys learned to ride on the road. I ride it some times just because it is soo easy to whip around corners and around town. I've been known to make special trips to town just to get a gallon of milk on the Blast. Only complaint is the vibration over 50 mph. I think they are a neat little first bike!!

9. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven Señor Mombo Millennium Member

Nope. I ride a Harley-Davidson Motorcycle and my wife rides a Harley-Davidson Motorcycle. I like 'em. Both of us have done some serious miles on our Harleys.

No riders have died in stadard MSF courses. Ever.

MSF approves non-stadard ranges in special circumstances, that's all I'm saying. And, the Blast has a high (relatively) first gear ration. I think these are potentially important to the novice who has never operated a motorcycle before. That's all I'm saying.

Why don't you ride your own attitude up your patootee.

10. Clydeglide

Clydeglide

Pretty much sums up your knowledge.

Oh, and my question about where to find stats....you never answered it. You just gave me YOUR answer.

11. Nyper

Nyper

Thanks for posting this.

I've been considering getting a motorcycle for a while - but it will probably be another year or so until it's financially a smart decision.

While I "think" I'm capable of riding a motorcycle, I really would like further instruction. (Haven't ridden a motorcycle in about 4 or 5 years - and it was my dad's Harley Heritage Softtail with about a 1450 - 100x too heavy for my skinny butt) Since I don't know anyone around here who rides, I was googling around and found the Rider's Edge website last night.

I would really like to have instruction on a bigger bike after completing the beginning rider's course... but who knows...

No point of this post really.. just a thanks for bringing it up and for giving your opinions. And thanks ahead of time for the other post/replies ya'll provide in this forum. I may be asking some dumb questions in the future. :tongueout:

12. Lowrider 49

Lowrider 49

Nyper,

Interest and desire are all that's necessary....all the rest can be worked out!!

13. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Yep. Once you have learned how to proper operate a motorcycle and get some seat times on a smaller bike, the transition to the bigger one isn't that big of a deal.