close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ride Along (from EMT-B plans thread)

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by Lynn D, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Lynn D

Lynn D Bullseye?

Did my first ride along today....unfortunately, no calls. Local suburban vollie agency. Very nice. Had me observing a nurse (the medic). This is BLS agency only, so driver is also EMT-B. Both very knowledgable. Very welcoming. Will likely plan re-visit to see how they operate.

Just thought I'd share.

Lynn

2. RLDS45S

RLDS45S

Gotta start somewhere! My first shift was with 911 ALS crew, and it was a real extremes of call, the alpha and the omega! I saw cardiac arrest and baby born! Sort of caught my attention!

I always liked the EMT-B students, esecpecially if they were bright eye'd and skeptical. One shift we had two students scheduled and the other truck with the FTO had a new medic orientating so we took the students for the 12 hrs all we did was the discharges and code 2 calls. Then we had an unresponsive female call, a diabetic having and insulin reaction! Both of students had thier eyes opened when the gal woke up from her stupor! Then other student we had along just had to complain about the types of calls we were dispatched to! We went to a # of nursing homes for hip fractures, and the guy was getting testy. We were always out of position for the 911 calls! We cooled his jets, by telling him that we were just doing ortho calls, and that did they not tell him that?

The best advice is do as your told, and never exit the side door!

3. Lynn D

Lynn D Bullseye?

I lied...I did get to ride while the crew went on a "dietary" run....And I did exit the side door, as I was told to do.

Why shouldn't you do this?

Lynn

4. hirundo82

hirundo82

On my bus I never made it a hard and fast rule for every. Mainly it was for MVCs; if the side door was on the side toward the road, you go out the back. You do not want to step out into traffic. Drivers get stupid when they see the pretty flashing lights.

5. RLDS45S

RLDS45S

On scenes like MVC it is very DANGEROUS to exit the side of the vehicle, and it is always good practice to not use the side door. Some really spring open fast! I will not say how I know this, but I know someone that once whacked the attending medic by flinging open the side door!Plus, it is a matter of perspective as you do not have a view of potential hazzards, ie on coming traffic or other responders! Plus in some van style trucks you end up opening two doors instead of one! Just good practice exit and enter through the back doors! Unless directed other wise! You will get the hang of things! No one learns everything on the first ride a long.