Rick Perry & Texas Have Found Coal . .

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by Silas.soule, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Silas.soule

Silas.soule

. . to just be more expensive than natural gas, wind and solar. Because the state has a very free energy market, Texas leads the nation in wind, if I'm not mistaken. "The Wall Street Journal" described Texas' energy market, a day or two ago. Coal just can't compete: https://www.wsj.com/articles/despit...shift-from-coal-is-set-to-continue-1490693406

Now, "The Atlantic" has a piece about Trump exaggerating the number of jobs that can be made available n the coal industry.

I'm tempted to conclude that Gilette Wyoming "energy capital" of the USA, has been misled, along with all other coal producing areas of the US. Behold:
    https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2017/06/pruitt-epa-coal-jobs-exaggerate/529311/

2. snerd

snerd Horselover Fat

You're getting might uneasy about clean coal making a comeback, aren't you?!

Cambo, LASTRESORT20 and "Doc" Cavalry like this.

3. Silas.soule

Silas.soule

The Republicans who run Texas and its grid aren't spending money on what coal costs.

4. Rabid Rabbit

Rabid Rabbit

If it were not for significant tax credits wind and solar would not exist14 in any amount. coal, gas, nuke and hydro are the only power generation sources that make sense. wind and solar are not reliable enough as a primary source.

Walt622, LASTRESORT20 and mj9mm like this.
  5. mj9mm

mj9mm

Coal has it's place in our country. To kill the industry without being able to phase it out gently was the issue. Clinton/Obama were ready to regulate it out of existence in areas of the country that had no options to replace jobs or power. Maybe statistics were fudged, but it makes little differance to the people who were saved by the election outcome

6. "Doc" Cavalry

"Doc" Cavalry MAJ (USA Ret.)

Texas is all about shale oil and natural gas. We don't mind coal, it works too. We are supposedly the saudi arabia of wind power..... We don't export this, because it only accounts for 12.6% of electricity generated in Texas. That's not bad, especially if we had teams collecting all of the protein deposited at the bottom of these windmills from the dead birds. 140,000 to 328,000 a year. Bald eagles, buzzards, Geese, Ducks. But not emus, penguins or ostriches. Lucky them.

Lethaltxn likes this.
  7. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

8. plp

plp

Easy answer, because exactly how many coal mines are there in Texas? Two words, transportation costs.

LNG is the energy source of the future. We have more natural gas than anywhere else in the world, and that should be the emphasis.

Actually, I'm wrong, nuclear energy should be the emphasis, but the liberals poisoned that well 40 years ago to the American public.

Lethaltxn and RonS like this.
  9. cbetts1

cbetts1

There is a coal mine just North of Austin. I was surprised when I drove by.