close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Richmond, CA 2011 Debriefing & Photo Thread

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by DannyR, Aug 27, 2011.

1. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

I hope the left coast weather is good.:wavey:

2. gary newport

gary newport

The weather is good, if a tad warmer than I prefer. There was an earthquake during the wee hours on Saturday, but it was less than magnitude 5 and Californians hardly notice little quakes like that! :cool:

I and my team, the Davis Street Regulars, will be shooting the match on Sunday. If anyone shot the match today, do you have any intel to pass along (sticky plates, "5" and "M" onfigurations, turn-out on Saturday, etc.)?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011

3. Beemerdave

Beemerdave

I shot at the Richmond CA Event on Saturday. By the time I arrived (~1030) registration was a breeze. The event seemed to me to be very well managed by the host club and well attended.
    The first event I shot was Amateur Comp with my G34. Using CCI Blazer (beer can) 147 TMJ ammo and the plates seemed to fall just fine. If I had to guess, I would say the 5 to GLOCK was the #5 version. What a relief! No NRA D-1's hanging out there at 75 feet to miss. I think the GLOCK M might have been version 5 also but could be wrong.
    The morning coulds cleared away and by noon is was getting sunny with some breeze. By the time I departed (1530) it was severe clear and down right windy but, after all, this is the SFO Bay area. The shooting venues were pretty well protected from the wind.
    Well done to the Host Club and GSSF. I had a good safe time!

4. Steven Jimenez

Steven Jimenez

Shot this Sunday afternoon. The whether was great, sunny and not to hot.

Well run match and a lot of RO's at least 3 Ro's at each station.

I was told they had over 400 plus shooters for the weekend.

I will be back next year.

5. gary newport

gary newport

I'm shocked at the lack of postings on the Richmond GSSF match! There were more than 420 entries and yet we have only 3 posts so far! Compare that with the 3 pages of posts for the Coulmbia, SC match held the same weekend.

My Civilian team and I arrived at Richmond about Noon on Sunday. There was virtually no wait at most stages (and a kindly group of shooters let two Old Farts shoot in front of them, even though that group had signed in earlier). The Range Safety Officers handled the match with precision and safety. I saw no equipment problems and no safety issues.

It was a well-run GSSF match--and my hat is off to the volunteer RSOs and to Cindy and Scotty.

6. SVI4ME

SVI4ME

This was the fifth year or so that My Gang has RO'd this match. Having 3 RO's per stage made things very smooth. One RO, one ARO and one to handle the sign-ups.

Three things I would like to stress to new GSSF shooters....
    1. If you have ANY questions dont hesitate to ask the RO. Most of us have been shooting in competition for many years.
    2. DO NOT.. I repeat DO NOT touch your gun until instructed by the Range Officer.
    3. Know the course of fire. Be it heavy metal or other. Dont spend hundreds of dollars and not know your particlar course of fire. Know how many rounds per target. So once again just ask for help. We all will be very willing to help.

Other than that just have fun and shoot straight. The speed will come. Accuracy is important. +10 seconds per miss will KILL you.

Cant wait until next year
    R

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  7. MustangGreg66

MustangGreg66

Can't say I'm on this board as much as I used to, but I was there at Richmond. I ROed stage 4 - Glock 'M all day Saturday, shot Sunday morning and ROed again Sunday afternoon on bay 2 - 5 to Glock.

Saturday morning was really busy. I think we had a 20-30 minute wait at the height of it. Everyone helped tape and reset the poppers. Competitors were safe and the new shooters we had seemed very safe and competent after going over the COF with them.

Having 3 ROs per squad was diffrent for us this year. I've ROed at this match for a couple years now, always with 2 ROs and it's a bit much to do all the scoring and greet new shooters and get them signed in. Having 3 ROs really keeps things going smoothly and takes a little of the pressure off. (though there were more names for the RO raffle haha)

Sunday seemed more relaxed. I didnt RO in the AM, but I didn't have to wait as long to shoot. I think I just lucked out and picked the right spots to sign-up at. When I shot, I felt like my times were slow, definitly slower than I thought I was capable of, but my hits were good. When I looked at my scores later and compared them to last year, I bested every one of my previous performances. I think my times were about the same as last year, but my hits were a lot better. Accuracy is the name of the game in GSSF forsure.

ROing the afternoon was nice. I got the RO alongside a good friend of mine and that made the afternoon fly by. We had a steady run of shooters coming in until around 3:30, but never got backed up and even ended early, packed up around 4 I think.

For some reason it didn't seem like there were as many people as last year. I remember it tapering off at the end like last year, and Saturday being really busy... but for some reason, it didn't seem quite as packed... maybe my preception is all off though haha. Last year we had 342 entrants and this year we upped it to 421, a new Weste coast record if I'm not mistaken.

I had really enjoyed the GSSF matches throughout the years and have done quite well at them. I think my personal goal for next year is to spread the word of the match more amongst my friends and family and bring a few new shooters out to the match. Hopefully we can reach 500 entrants next year :)

I usually take video of myself shooting this match, but for some reason my camera didn't want to work this year. I got about half the runs/stages for the 4 divisions I shot, but was really bummed when I wasn't able to get the rest as well.

8. KimboG

KimboG

I shot Saturday morning, super busy and lotsa people in line for registration.... there was a line for every stage but it was great weather and cool people...

I hope I ranked well ; )

9. MustangGreg66

MustangGreg66

10. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

11. MustangGreg66

MustangGreg66

Thanks, I've won two guns with them before so 1 of my 4 Am wins from this match will bump me to master... we'll see what they do with the rest of my 1st place wins from this match. No doubt I'll be in master class for future GSSF matchs

12. gary newport

gary newport

Congratulations on your performance, Greg! It does look like there will be more "room at the top" after the Richmond scores are finalized.

I also want to congratulate you and your Civilian team for placing first at Richmond--even though that relegated my team, the Davis Street Regulars to second place! :crying:

13. MustangGreg66

MustangGreg66

Thanks! Well the team I was on last year took second place "MustangGreg and the Geezers" still love that name hahaha. So it's nice to win one before I'm bumped to Meister :)

Definitly some room there at the top once they bump me to Meister.

14. KimboG

KimboG

VERY COOL!! Congrats!

I was lucky to make it close to the top ...

of the 2nd page : ) LOL