close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rich man's game?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by mpol777, May 2, 2006.

1. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

The regs for the AZ '06-'07 season came out.

It's going to cost me $122.25 for the licenses and non-lottery tags. I'll be sending in another $1674.75 for lottery tags. The lottery tag money is refunded if not successful, but needs to be sent up front just to get in the game.

If the stars align and I get drawn for everything that's damn near $1800 just to be legal. And that's just AZ at resident rates.

It does bother me that I have to shell out thousands of dollars to the king for the privledge of hunting. I also take trips out of state every year and those are costly too. While I'd rather not spend so much I can afford it. What really bugs me is that there are a lot of folks who can't afford it. Even 10 years ago I could not have sprung for this kind of expense. This isn't just inflation. The trapping license tripled this year and most tags went up 30%-70%.

No sir, I don't like it. Life isn't fair and not everybody is going to be able to afford a 10 day guided hunt. Everybody should be able shove a couple rounds in the gun their daddy gave them and go hunting on their own though. Whether it's the back 40 or some national wilderness, it shouldn't be decided by how much cash you have.

2. Neocon

Neocon

The rising cost of hunting is not an accident. There are many in this sport that wood like to see a little less Blaze orange in the woods. Here in GA it is not nearly that bad but still I figure I'll through down $1000 for licence, lease fees, and a little gear I need. I keep telling my wife its free meat but she knows thats a lie.:)

3. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

You got that right.... Man i can't believe it is costing you this much in your Native state! Point is though, i sure agree with ya about those 'who cannot afford it,' and love hunting the way 'we do.'

And the kids/teens, that want to get started in hunting, don't seem to have much hope here, if i am reading you correctly, unless their folks have some denero. This sounds like 'more money hungry bureaucrats.' I understand the "guide fees," etc, but just the 'resident fees' being so high, man, that is ridiculos.

Well, good hunting, and make every shot count Hoss! ;)

CanyonMan

4. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

i finally bought a lifetime hunting and fishing license for $500

totally worth it

only 7 more mos till deer season!
    ate venison last night and ate venison leftovers again tonite and im not complaining

5. noway

noway

I paid around $120.00 and some change for all of the permits and license ( that include fishing also ) for last . Man I very lucky and won't ever be complaining on how much licensing cost for hunting in my state , ever again after seeing those fees for AZ. ;)

I 'm also betting states like AZ have to jack up their fees to make that money vrs a state like MI/FL/LA that has various other means for raking in money in for fishing/hunting. ( i.e doubt AZ get alot of people going their for salt/fresh water fishing ;))

Also we ( FLA ) really nail non-residents who comes to this state for Fish/Hunt trips. $24.00 plus dollars and associate fees to stick a rod with bait in the water for 7 to 10 days is just kinda overly price imho.

But heck the various state gov gotta make dem selves some money I guess
    :frown:

6. Sulaco

Sulaco Guest

I spend $25.00 per year for a resident combination hunting, freshwater fishing and big game license. I hunt with friends on private property so I don't pay any dues or lease fees, etc. Granted, I only get to go a few times a year and that when invited but it's all I can afford.

7. bassman-dan

bassman-dan NRA Lifer

The part that makes me sad is that young people are not replacing the old guys who hunted and total numbers are declining.
    It is getting too difficult to find a place to hunt unless you pay through the nose.
    As our population has become urbanized, a lot of kids would rather do other things.
    When I started hunting 40 years ago, I hunted as hard and as often as possible thinking that someday the urban/PETA types would have hunting outlawed. Now, it looks like apathy and urban sprawl will beat them to it.
    (Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread with my rant)

8. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

No apology necessary bassman.

You know what? It's the same all over. EVERY place I hunted deer as a kid is now covered with houses and asphalt. All but ONE place I hunted ducks is in a 'no shooting zone'. The place where I trapped is a mall and a Wal-Mart. The only hunting I do in Ohio anymore is on ADC permit. Luckily I can get those, but I know some folks who have hung up their guns because they have no place to go. They have no place to go and companies are being paid $1,000 a head to cull the deer herd. Not me, but I wish. I'm paid in tenderloin. :)

The old guy I grew up next to used to shoot rabbits around his place. When he bought there it was dirt roads and fields for miles.

Suburbia is the killer. In a perfect world it would be city and country with no inbetween. Nowadays most folks want a little of both and there's more folks coming who will want the same.

Rising prices, shrinking habitat... damn straight it's not good at all.

9. BlackBelt

BlackBelt

my lease takes an hour and 20 minutes to drive to from my house, and I'm on the outskirts of Memphis. It's quite a trip at 3 a.m., but it's worth it to me to get out of the city. I've been considering buying some land out there and putting up a cabin. I'd love to live out there, but there's no way to make a living out there if you're not a farmer.
    Every year I try to recruit one more person to the outdoors. I take and train one new guy a year in fieldcraft and hunting and fishing. Just finished turkey season with a new guy who's now amp'd up to go deer hunting...archery and gun.
    Yes, it's expensive. When I was a kid, a lot of it was free. But I'll pay 'the Man' now, because what choice do I have?
    I look at it this way...at the end of my life, I'll have lot's of memories. Won't have much money left, but will have lived life to the fullest. That's better than a stack of cash anyday.

10. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Rich Mans Game

Just recently, a good friend of mine wrote me an email, and ask if there were any wild sheep , rams, in Texas.

As i told him, there are plenty of Mouflan here, with no closed season, and some of the rams sport very large headgear.

We also have Big Horn sheep/Desert sheep..... But, they are free roaming, and some on private ranch land.

Point is... I called a warden friend of mine in Persidio Co. on the Tex/Mex border, he told me the hunt for one of these rams, on 'government land' was by "draw only," once a year, at a cost to the 'lucky hunter' of.. (are you ready?), $108,000.

If you wanted to hunt one, on one of our 'private ranches,' it can cost as much as $60,000.

Unfortunately, we don't have any on our ranch. Got about everything else. I was hoping that a ram or two would wander over this way a mile or two, and i could pick up a quick $40,000, shoot, i ain't greedy, i'd cut someone a great deal! :supergrin:

Of course most all that 108,000 goes back into the wild sheep program to help increase herd size etc... But i was kinda blown away with the tag cost.

Anyone interested in a bighorn hunt here in W. Tex! ;)

CanyonMan