Rice Cooker teflon coating scratches

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by nathanenge, Feb 18, 2005.

1. nathanenge

nathanenge

Not sure how many of you cook rice in the rice cooker on a daily basis, but in my household it is. The pot's non-stick coating is wearing off, mostly by scratching. Where the scratching occurs, the rice burns and sticks. So, Is there a teflon spray to fix that? or should I just buy a new cooker?

2. Izze

Izze

My rice cooker has a removable bowl (maybe they all do). Mine came with an order form so I could order a new bowl if neccesary. I have no idea if there is any (safe) way to fix the old one.

S

3. 308endurdebate

308endurdebate

Nathan,

First of all, awesome that you have a wife that loves guns :)

Second, most rice cooker bowls can be purchased from the manufacturer. For sure if yours is a national/panasonic model (as long as it isn't really old).

I wouldn't use any spray ons. While there are teflon sprays, I don't think they are consumption safe (ie. the carrier is probably harmful) and it probably won't adhere properly in anycase - since it is supposed to be applied to a clean surface.

Ken

4. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

You need to get that taken care of ASAP. IIRC, the chemical left behind where the teflon comes off is not good for you! ;P

5. Rabid Rabbit

Rabid Rabbit

Maybe you can parkerize it.

6. chevrofreak

chevrofreak Senior Member

Use only wooden or plastic utensils around teflon, never metal.

7. nathanenge

nathanenge

Thanks folks, I'm not sure what brand it is. If my luck serves me correctly, it'll be some obscure chinese or nipponese brand and the order form will be written in hirigana or in chinese! In anycase, I'll probably cease and desist with the rice cooker and troll around for a new one. Hopefully it's an "americanized" brand

8. wiper

wiper

I have an old rice cooker that I still use I can remeber it from early childhood (I am 22). I should get a new one sometime, it looks old! The bowl in the inside looks old but it is not scrathed. One thing I know is that I've always used a plastic laddle. Maybe you used something else and that's why your bowl scratched. Or maybe the rice cooker you had was made badly. I would just get a new one.