ribs on the grill, how?

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by hokieglock, Oct 5, 2005.

1. hokieglock

hokieglock Proud Infidel

the wife and i are going to grill a rack of ribs tonight. we've never done this before, what's the best method? thanks! (we've got a gas grill);V

2. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Millennium Member

Season and grill them kinda crispy on both sides using the smoke from the meat's drippings...
    ...not necessarily cooked thoroughly thru...

I'm not a big fan of big wood flavor...

Then, wrap them up tight in foil and let them sizzle on the grill for an hour in their juices
    till tender...

For this second cooking, a lower or indirect heat will be helpful...

Before serving, I'll often spread a blend of minced garlic, Italian parsley,
    and olive oil on top, then cut into individual ribs and serve in a pile...

Often these'll turn out incredibly incredible...

All this is probably too late for tonight's ribbys...

;c
    :)

3. hokieglock

hokieglock Proud Infidel

thanks bill, we didn't cook 'em last night so we will give your technique a try. we also heard that if you boil them first they'll be really tender.;f

4. Gadgetman

Gadgetman

We don't boil ours. The way we do ribs is we first remove the membrane then cook them in a Nesco turned on to around 225 for about an hour or hour and 15 min. They are very moist and tender by then. In the mean time I'll have my Weber fired up and the coals off to the sides for indirect cooking. I'll also have some hickory wood chips soaking. After they are done in the nesco have your grill at about 350 degrees put a bunch of wood chips on the coals lay the ribs on the grate cover and let smoke for about 15 minutes. There pretty good this way and they don't have that overpowering smoke taste because there only smoked for a short time.

We are going to try to cook some up using Mild Bill's technique next time.

5. hokieglock

hokieglock Proud Infidel

cool, thanks!

6. noway

noway

You didn't say what type of ribs ( beef/pork ), which might require a totally different cook method but for pork rib, I like to get the split ribs in 2-3 ribs pcs with alot of fat around them. I rub my dry seasoning mix on them and slap them on the grill. I cook them till they are no longer pink and start to shrink some. Them I warp them in foil and cook another 45-60 or more and right before I take them off, I punch holes in the bottom of the foil to drain any liquid and then serve.

7. wallyglock

wallyglock

we personaly like the baby backs best. boiling is o. k. to tenderize, then grilling but we think there is a better method. 1st remove the membrane, put a smoker box full of the co mpressed wood pellets or wood chips( I too have a gas grill) gill to good browning stage on both sides, usually about 12-15 minutes each side. remove and cool to room temp. baste with mustard, on both sides and sprinkle a dry rub consisting of 8 Tbs brown sugar,2 Tbs paprika,2 Tbs fresh ground black. pepper,1&1/2 tsp salt, 2Tbs garlic powder. (this will coat 4-5 racks of baby backs with some left over) I use the dry rub LIGHTLY...it is the coating of mustard that really crusts up the ribs!! put directly on oven racks with foil lined pans to catch to catch drippings. bake 2-21/2 hours, untill ribs are fall off the bone tender. drain drip pans and transfer ribs to same foil pans. turn on oven broiler and brush bar bq sauce on one side, untill it bubbles, only about 1-2 minutes! coat with sauce on opposite side, and bubble sauce. remove and let cool 15 minutes and you will have fabolus ribs..! did 4 racks of baby backs last week-end with this method. it is work, but reward is worth it!! if you need my home made sauce receipe let me know.

8. wallyglock

wallyglock

forgot the oven baking temp. is 250.

9. hokieglock

hokieglock Proud Infidel

thanks for the replies i think we'll try several of your techniques and figure out what we like best. noway i think your's is the simplest and that's what we're going to do tonight. let you know how they come out. thanx again.

10. hokieglock

hokieglock Proud Infidel

noway, used your method and the ribs turned out awesome, thanks for the info. they were pork ribs by the way.;f

11. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Maybe it's heresy, but I boil them first. I add Worcestershire sauce, and Tabasco to the water. If not those, a couple dark beers. Boil for 20 minutes, then finish on the grill with barbecue sauce.

12. hokieglock

hokieglock Proud Infidel

yep, next time we plan to boil them.

13. PDogSniper

PDogSniper

Before you do that try this. Remove the membrane from the back side and rub liberally with a pork rub. The put them in cooking bags with maybe a quarter cup of water and seal them up. Cook in the oven at 250 degrees for around 1 1/2 to 2 hours or till the meat starts to shrink away from the bones. Remove from the oven and allow to cool to room temp. Place on the grill using indirect heat and finish cooking. The last 15 minutes baste with Sweet Baby Rays bbq sauce....:cool:

For gas grills there's a gizzmo, it's a metal box that opens and you fill it with wood chips and place directly on a burner. Really puts the smoke to your food....

[​IMG]

14. noway

noway

Another hint for makin good pork ribs are coat the mess with bacon drippings and rubbing old bay seasoning into the ribs with garlic salt and pepper. Use country style ribs ( no bone and from the blade end of the lion ) works best for this method. Let the ribs soak in this overnight and grill untill done using pecan and hickory wood.

Can you say hmm mmmmm mmmm good. ;) you will swear you diead and whent to heaven. Cook until they are done but not overdone and eat with rice or beans.

15. hokieglock

hokieglock Proud Infidel

awesome, i'm printing these out and will use all methods to try and find the best one. i like the old bay inclusion with noway's post.

16. FlaChef

FlaChef Steyroid

boiling any meats is a good way to get a flavored water, but since that flavor is what comes out of your ingredients it's none to good for ribs.

Try any kind of spice rub, lightly crust them on the grill and remove. Lay them in a roasting (or casserole) pan on top of a cooloing rack so they aren't on the bottom and put some beer, and whatever other liquids you want (worchtesier, etc) in the bottom. Wrap very tightly in aluminum foil and put in oven aroud 275 untill your desired tenderness (2-3hrs or so). Your basicly steaming them in your flavored liquid and adding, not taking away flavor while tenderizing.

a good trick is to save the juices/liquid from the bottom of your pan and work those into your sauce.

remove, cool, sauce and return to the grill w/ or w/out wood chips for final cooking.

17. PDogSniper

PDogSniper

+1...;)

18. W Turner

W Turner

Here's my technique......

1-rinse and pat dry the ribs after removing the membrane from the inside
    2-rub liberally with desired seasonings ( I use either Butt Rub or a concoction of my own with brown sugar, chilipowder, salt, black pepper and a few others). For an oriental flavor, just use salt and pepper and use sweet and sour sauce in place of BBQ sauce
    3-put in a charcoal smoker/grill with a combination of charcoal and seasoned hickory and cook at 250
    4-start drinking beer
    5-wrap the slabs in tinfoil when the meat has pulled about 1/4" away from the ends of the bones and place back on the grill for about 45 minutes

If you want sauced ribs ( I like mine dry) then skip the wrapping part and start slathering BBQ sauce on them every 10-15 mintues for about an hour.

Bull

19. batangueno

batangueno Shock Resist

Sorry if it's a stupid question but where is the membrane and how do i remove it?

Thanks. :)

20. PDogSniper

PDogSniper

The membrane is on the back, or bone side of the rib. It's kind of translucent. Take a butter knife and work it up enough to get your thumb under it and work it up far enough that you can grab ahold of it with a paper towel and gently peel it off.