RFC: 'mando' Toyota oem, AIRBAG "recall"/"free repair"??

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by MB-G26, Aug 30, 2018.

1. MB-G26

MB-G26 Ornery & Irreverent Lifetime Member

Attached is the 3rd-odd postcard I've received over time about this. (Previous issue was stupid floor mat thing, which I handled myself and thereafter fully ignored.)

Keeping in mind that I "trust" nothing pertaining to car stealerships.... sooooo, I finally call the stupid 888 number, braid my toes trying to understand through the woman's heavy, rapid-fire accent. She wants to set an appointment with an UNnamed 'local' dealership.... :blarf: (NWIH I'm willing to just blindly show up someplace, no pre-research, etc.)

I cannot go without the car, cannot afford a rental or paid ride-services, and I know damn good and well my lower tolerance for frustration and bs, or incompetence, will get me arrested if I'm stuck sitting there for endless hours w/o even being able to keep an eye on my car. I have no one here, and no one to fall back on if things go screwy (which, they seemingly do 99% of the time when I stand to get screwed over, when 'big ticket' stuff like home repair, for example, are involved.)

So..... other than targeted googoo'g the name of the dealership I was given over the phone (including local BBB, toyotasucks.com, and so on) .... how else can I cover my arse?
    Unauthorized charges are one thing that concerns me, plus lack of timely or useful recourse - especially since I simply cannot 'be the bank' and absorb ANY expenses related to this.

Sigh......

Attached Files:

2. Hauptmann6

Hauptmann6

Ramjet38 likes this.

3. Maxx702

Maxx702 Rottweilers making America great again!

Recalls are performed at no charge by law.
    They are not obligated to provide transportation.
    Since you distrust dealerships, decline the visual multi point inspection.

MB-G26 and janice6 like this.
  4. janice6

janice6

There is/was, a butt load of air bags bought that were crap, dangerous, and filled with junk that could act as shrapnel if it went off. Large quantities of these were purchased by different vehicle manufacturers from the same company.

larry_minn and MB-G26 like this.
  5. pag23

pag23 NRA Life Member

They should give you a rental...I know people effected by the recall and they were given loaners to use.

larry_minn and MB-G26 like this.
  6. Maxx702

Maxx702 Rottweilers making America great again!

A Japanese company called Takata manufactures airbags for most car makers. They went cheap and subjected most car makers to this huge mess.

I manage the service department at a dealership. We get paid a minimal amount to replace affected airbags, then get to listen to dishonest people make incredibly idiotic claims about problems with their cars after we replace their airbags.
    I get lied to all day long, yet people call us the stealership.

7. MB-G26

Maxx hit on the kind of thing I had read about and was vaguely aware of over time, but I had read of it in the context of Customer A brings vehicle in for specific and specified "warranty work" an ends up having to pay 'oop' for UNauthorized work which warranty entity refused to cover.

I was aware of the airbag blagh blah, but considering the big deal made over the stupid floormats getting stuck under accelerators, was not going to start quaking in uneducated fear over the airbag thing.

My primary general concern (vs. any specific, named dealership) is what clever little industry-type, or recall-work-specific tricks to be aware of -- especially those I might not think of or be aware of (vs. the well-known oil change games, front-end alignment games, billing games for parts/services NOT performed, those kinds of things.)

For instance: any similarities between recall work & mfg pmt therefor, and the many other ways warranties and various types of insurance/companies play claims and coverage games w/insureds.

?Are dealerships paid a lower price for recall parts/work, than what they would otherwise charge for those same parts and work?

8. MB-G26

Maxx.. ya beat me to it :) (Tablet typing takes me longer). And, yeah, I sensed I hit a nerve there, sowwy. :bowdown: Didn't intend to offend. Takata is the culprit, according to the recall notices. Damnit. In just the research thus far this afternoon, I'm much less than confident in the services of the place the 888 person told me 'it would be'. How the heck is that pre-decided, anyway?

9. WayneJessie

WayneJessie

Dude, you’ll be in and out in 30 minutes. Good grief. More drama than a female over nothing. Takata supplied SRS systems to every Asian and some Domestic cars. If it’s to much stress for you to handle just ignore the recall. If you have a frontal impact and the bag spews shrapnel in your face at least you’ll have something worthwhile to ***** about.

czsmithGT likes this.
  10. Detectorist

Detectorist

Actually, she is a female.

janice6 likes this.
  11. MB-G26

20180830_193051.jpg

12. WayneJessie

WayneJessie

That explains a lot. Drama for nothing. My statement was correct.

czsmithGT likes this.
  13. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

Don't drive your car into stuff, and you'll be OK.

14. napp32

napp32

My friend went thru this with her 2010 Corolla. She drove her car to the dealership for a pre-set appointment. She ate donuts, drank coffee, and watched TV in the dealership lounge for about an hour while the Takata airbag was changed out. No stress...no charge.

Detectorist likes this.
  15. itisbruno

itisbruno Devious Member CLM

Unless you think the guy is handsome, then offer yourself up for inspection

:thumbsup:

Detectorist likes this.
  16. The_Dan

The_Dan The underscore is silent

Or don’t go and just stop reading the notices...it’s not like the recall police are going to show up on your doorstep and demand the car. Eventually you may need to see the dealer for something or have a convienence time to drop the vehicle at your convienence...maybe get it done then.

It’s not worth stressing yourself out. I deal with used cars every day and see many with open recalls. My wife’s Cadillac has a couple open recalls that we have been ignoring for over a year and it happens to be headed in for service next week for an unrelated issue...they will perform the recall service while it’s there.

17. Hauptmann6

Hauptmann6

Ease up on the paranoia. 99% of people and companies are not out to get you. Take your car in, they will do the recall work and you will be on your way. I just had some recall work done on my van. Drop it off in the morning and pick it up after work(it was much more work that an airbag).

18. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
    While you're not doing anything, other people are scooping up the limited quantity of good airbags. Meanwhile, if your bag goes off, maybe you die.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

larry_minn likes this.