close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

RF exposure/safety question

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by n00b, Feb 20, 2010.

1. n00b

n00b

Hey,

I'm still don't have my ticket yet...but have some questions about RF exposure I hope you guys can help me out with. I read the similar thread on here posted a while back...but still would like to know what the experts think.

Lets say for a second I was running a mobile on 2 meters, connected to a 19.25" magnet mount antenna stuck on a file cabinet that was located about 4' from the transmitter. From what I understand about RF, and by using the RF calculator that there should not be an issue with pretty much anything under 5 watts. When I calculate for 25 or 50 watts then there could be a problem.

Now I'm pretty sure that this hypothetical setup should be all I need to hit the repeaters of interest in my area, as they are all only a few miles away.

All other factors aside, such as performance, cost, etc - my question is this - even though I should be able to reach those destinations at low power, what are the potential safety issues with using this configuration at 25 or 50 watts? The way I look at it, this would be a relatively common setup found in a vehicle...so would it be any less safe to use indoors versus in/near a car?

Thanks in advance.