Revolvers

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by The Viking, Jul 15, 2020.

1. thespork

thespork

Bollocks...
    You can read any number of articles with detailed explanations on this very subject
    It a repair that allows you to continue, and that might be all that matters..
    And steel is easier to work with, and bend back/weld in field expedient locations...

Go on a bike tour forum and ask "I'm going on a bike tour across India, what frame material should I use?" - not one person is going to tell you aluminum. Kumar, at his bicycle repair shop in exurban Kolkata will be able to get your steel frame bike back on the road, you aluminum frame, not so much.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  2. DrewBone

DrewBone

If your response above was directed towards me, then no, that's not at all what I was suggesting.

What I was suggesting was that if you hadn't done so already you experience the characteristics/recoil impulse of the very low bore axis design of the Rhino revolver and compare it to that of the typical revolver design.

3. JPARANEE

JPARANEE

Revolvers are awesome and there are plenty of modern ones out there that work great

8 shot ti and scandium pieces

aluminum framed etc 3CF2401F-0080-484A-A90D-CAC4FE0C85B2.jpeg 8D86450B-9D7B-498D-9C9F-8655BCCB94C5.jpeg View attachment 792868 C57B6D6E-65FE-4A20-AB78-1BDC1ACA47C2.jpeg 9AE6CF7A-7C89-4436-BAC2-0530D1D48450.jpeg 0A2078E1-D1C2-4D41-A90A-0E4FD1D6E040.jpeg DE969555-87CC-4478-BD5B-642789A42F33.jpeg

tacit mesa and Macc283 like this.
  4. DrewBone

DrewBone

...all of whom I'm sure are penned and endorsed by bicycle frame and component manufacturers, and further parroted by cycling related publications.

5. thespork

thespork

Lol...
    Are you kidding? The big bike manufacturers would love to sell you some super expensive, mass produced wonder material bike for a ridiculous profit margin...

The reality is, for the vast majority of applications they just don't beat steel.

6. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

Why try and re invent the wheel? No pun intended.

Some have already mentioned some of the more recent off the wall stuff, the smith with rail for example. You want Tactical wiz bangs buy a auto. Want simplicity and reliability buy a revolver.

Personally one of my favorite handguns is my 4 inch Ruger GP100. Built like a tank, you could load it with the hottest 357’s and let it eat all day. Have more “power” than a lot of your auto calibers.

It’s damn accurate in my hands, plot twist you can load it with some light 38’s and let your grandma shoot it till the cows come home. It’s almost like shooting a 22 with the right loads.

If you don’t think revolvers have advanced enough in technology, just check the revolver supply in today’s current panic.

Bus007 and Jack Ryan like this.
  7. DonD

DonD

You're right about that. Don

8. DonD

DonD

No, never knew any Betsy.

Strictly form over function? Hardly. My 500s are vastly more accurate than any Chiappa and have a universe more power. Scoped 500s in the hands of excellent shooters can do 1.5" @ 100.

Wow two guys get stirred up over a comment about the aesthetics of an odd revolver.

Are you two the type that would vote for an ugly girl for Homecoming Queen to boost her spirits? Don

9. DrewBone

DrewBone

Um, you're missing the point, and if you haven't ascertained it by now then please allow me to LOL!

slym2none likes this.
  10. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

Well, well, well!
    I'll tell you what, if I was lucky enough to get to shoot the Rhino and liked it, I'd probably buy one.

slym2none likes this.
  11. DonD

DonD

No I was replying to slym2none or whatever the handle is.

A very low bore axis would not be a good idea on a heavy recoiling revolver like the 500 Mag. Don

DrewBone likes this.
  12. Villuj_idiot

Villuj_idiot

Nah, that's old school.
    [​IMG]

March817 and Nick B like this.
  13. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan NRA Life Member.

For who?

Redeemed and Nick B like this.
  14. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan NRA Life Member.

Sooo, you mean, "for you".

Nick B likes this.
  15. DrewBone

DrewBone

Well [​IMG] to you Don, I could never handle the recoil of those big bore revolvers...they'd send me into tomorrow and further destroy my already destroyed joints.

The simple point I was trying to make was that the Rhino revolver barrel layout reduces the upward recoil impulse that is a product of the common revolver design. It doesn't come chambered in 500 S&W Magnum (as you noted it's lower bore axis would be unpleasant if one were shooting one of these revolvers chambered in '500, and I'm in agreement with that), nor is it touted as a precision shooter that will hit a gnat's eyelash at 100 yards; it's just a freakin' revolver that's chambered in common calibers that looks and acts differently, and to ignore it's positive characteristics because you think it's "ugly" is...well, regardless of what I think I understand and respect your viewpoints.

alwaysshootin and slym2none like this.
  16. ottomatic

ottomatic

No I've shot revolvers, they're damn hard to shoot.

I was raised shooting both. I compete on a Police Pistol competition team. When we are given the choice, about 90% of the competitors pick the revolver (including me).

Jack Ryan likes this.
  17. ede

ede

no not so much. I've been fairly successful with them, two World Shoot wins and I think 5 state match wins, few other random matches.

18. DonD

DonD

I suspect the Rhino's lower bore axis would facilitate faster recovery from firing and I knew it only came in typical defensive calibers and isn't intended to be a precision shooting entry.

This is one of those threads that gets off track over silly issues. I'm pretty confident that many shooters do not find the Rhino's appearance appealing and a number of threads in the past have said just that. Most prefer conventional appearing revolvers, nothing much more than that to my comments.

We're not in different universes in our shooting worlds. Re the 500s, my normal range routine typically means 3 cylinder fulls of medium heavy loads, but more of fun, plinking loads using Trail Boss powder. Those are very gentle. Have a good weekend. Don

DrewBone likes this.
  19. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

Making revolvers too light isn't gonna make them sell better. You lose shootability pretty fast when they get too light. No reciprocating action of a slide to lessen recoil and all.

March817 likes this.
  20. ede

ede

Light works to your advantage in transitions and splits especially when power factor isn't a consideration. All depends on what you're doing with them