Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

Overall, is a revolver still a viable firearm for self-defense?

• Yes

Votes: 129 96.3%
  • No

Votes: 5 3.7%
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
Glock 45/19X
8,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A comment came up just today that revolvers are 'damn hard to shoot'. And the member has the right to express his opinion. But it brings up the question of a revolver in the 21st century as a viable SD firearm. I think the answer is an obvious 'yes' however others may have a differing opinion.

Recently, in a different thread a member had a very hard time believing you could hit at distance with a long, heavy DA revolver trigger. I told him we use to qualify out to 50 yards with a S&W M64 with around a 12lb trigger. He didn't believe me until others chimed in they had as well 'back in the day' and various qualification courses were posted for him. Still not sure he believes us, lol.

Now I actually haven't owned a revolver in years, but they are what I 'grew up' on and carried on duty for the first third of my career. I like them. I trust them. Wouldn't mind having one again. Really like the Ruger GP100 and S&W 686 personally.

So what say you, is it still a viable platform for SD in this modern day and age of plastic-fantastics?

·
Native Mainiac
25,677 Posts
Yup...I don't want anybody chasing me around with one, even if they aren't John Wayne, Marshall Dillon or Dirty Harry.

They still work pretty good unless you've mastered that whole Matrix leaning back to dodge the bullets thing.

·
Mr. Awesome
11,985 Posts
Viable? Yes. Absolutely. Best? Unlikely, but possibly.

Reactions: Deputydave

·
Registered
13,555 Posts
A comment came up just today that revolvers are 'damn hard to shoot'. And the member has the right to express his opinion. But it brings up the question of a revolver in the 21st century as a viable SD firearm. I think the answer is an obvious 'yes' however others may have a differing opinion.

Recently, in a different thread a member had a very hard time believing you could hit at distance with a long, heavy DA revolver trigger. I told him we use to qualify out to 50 yards with a S&W M64 with around a 12lb trigger. He didn't believe me until others chimed in they had as well 'back in the day' and various qualification courses were posted for him. Still not sure he believes us, lol.

Now I actually haven't owned a revolver in years, but they are what I 'grew up' on and carried on duty for the first third of my career. I like them. I trust them. Wouldn't mind having one again. Really like the Ruger GP100 and S&W 686 personally.

So what say you, is it still a viable platform for SD in this modern day and age of plastic-fantastics?
You carried a revolver on the job??? You’re that old? Lol

there is an infection in our society and it replicates itself here as well, and it’s the “well if I can’t do it then no one can”…I’ve seen it plenty. And as John Lovell put it with James Yeager “it’s funny. On the internet everyone is an expert except the actual expert”. So true. oh and there’s the other funny one: “well if you call a technique or method something differently than where I work then You’re obviously a fraud and don’t know nothin”

revolvers are viable for self defense, of course! I don’t like their capacity etc on the world of today’s threats but that’s me. And as far as they’re too hard to shoot, people claim the same thing about G29’s and Glock factory triggers…and as always that aspect almost always comes back to training and properly training and putting in the work and not shortcuts.

·
Registered
13,555 Posts
Yup...I don't want anybody chasing me around with one, even if they aren't John Wayne, Marshall Dillon or Dirty Harry.

They still work pretty good unless you've mastered that whole Matrix leaning back to dodge the bullets thing.
I almost got that move down. Lots of weed helps as you can see on slow motion…that’s what they taught me in The Unit anyways

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
I carry a 442 pro series as my BUG at work, and often carry a revolver around the house off duty.

a lot of the guys at work don’t know anything about revolvers and think they’re antiquated. While teaching at the range one day, duty pistols, we did walk back drills on silhouette steel targets. Started at 15 yards, and if you missed your one shot, you were out, hit, you move back 5 yards.

Made it out to the furthest distance at the pistol range, about 65-70 yards (at a certain point, we were just pacing it out). I was still hitting with the J frame

it’s all about controlling the trigger, and knowing where your sights need to be for distance and bullet weight/type

·
Registered
19,751 Posts
I started shooting my Ruger GP100 double action only to improve my trigger skills. Now, auto pistols are a snap.
But, it was too late. I'm now hooked on revolvers and even picked up a Ruger Redhawk chambered in .357 as a range toy. It goes with me every time I go to the range now. Being able to hold a 52 ounce pistol stable while I manage a double action trigger pull has made me a better shooter.
I wouldn't shy away from using a revolver for personal protection. But, then again, a fifteen shot Glock 20 SF would probably be my preference. It's my Armageddon gun.

·
Registered
5,383 Posts
I regularly compete in IDPA with a revolver and I feel pretty confident that I could successfully defend myself with one if that was all that was available to me. I love wheel guns and I have a bunch of them. They're not necessarily my first choice as a defensive weapon (neither is an autopistol for that matter), but they're far from obsolete.

·
Registered
Glock 45/19X
8,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You carried a revolver on the job??? You’re that old? Lol
Yep :)

I carried that S&W M64 for the first 11 years of my career. I've told this story before but I always get a kick out of it; when we transitioned to the Beretta 92D I taught the transition course. But they wouldn't let me carry a Beretta on-duty until I took the course...I taught! Gotta love red tape. Same thing happened when we transitioned to the Glock 21.

·
Registered
8,089 Posts
Last time I used my revolver, a S&W 686 was on a wounded black bear tearing up the dogs at about 1.5’. worked fine😀.

I’m not the greatest, but I used to do a lot of DA revolver shooting, I think people just don’t understand the DA revolver trigger.

I shot in a local league. It was billed as a combat league, but was more like timed target shooting. two hand, strong hand and weak hand at various distances. I alternated between my 686 and G17, had to shoot DA at all distances, I actually scored better with the revolver.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I carried a SW .357 6" when I was a Dept. of Defense Police Officer (1978),
and I had to pass an FBI shooting qualification; rapid fire at 15', prone out to
50', standing, kneeling and from cover at various ranges - and had to shoot
with left and right hands, double and single action.

If you practice, you can be good, watch Jerry Miculek shoot revolvers, and
you'll see how fast and good you "could" be. I only have one revolver, now;
a 6.5" stainless Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull, I only use for SD in "The
Woods". I wouldn't carry a revolver for concealed SD; my G29 is too good.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I carry a 442 pro series as my BUG at work,

it’s all about controlling the trigger, and knowing where your sights need to be for distance and bullet weight/type
Carried a 640 for the same thing for many years. Great little revolvers. I’d never feel non-viable with a 4“ GP100 or 686. They work just fine,

·
Registered
10,687 Posts
I think the answer depends on who the question is posed to.

Military? Yes, it's outdated

LEO? Yes, it's outdated.

Civilian? No, it's fine.

The probability is extremely low you will need a gun
The probability you will need to draw that gun is much lower
The probability you will need to fire a shot is lower still
More than one shot, lower still

If you take a 1% probability event and then add another 1% probability event, the chance of them happening at the same time is 1 in 10,000.

Now, if the question was posed as - if you find yourself in a protracted gunfight is a revolver obsolete, I think my answer would be different.

As usual, there is not an answer here as much as a comfort level. We still have the freedom to make this choice.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
They're still very viable ------------------- as long as you can hit your target. The effectiveness is in the bullet, not the launcher.

Reactions: Chup

·
Oh, for a muse of fire
9,223 Posts
Six rounds of .357 magnum, and nothings says pistol whip quite like an N-Frame Smith.

Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Wood

1 - 20 of 89 Posts