Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Mas,

I came across this quote by an instructor on another forum....

“I’m sure some are unaware a skilled shooter can run a revolver quicker for 6 shots than is possible with a semi-auto.”

I was wondering if you agreed with it and would hopefully explain your opinions. Thank you.

·
KoolAidAntidote
5,914 Posts
I respectfully disagree.

Back in the 1970s, my colleague John Farnam was the first to publish research indicating that the average person can fire about four shots per second with a double action revolver (or double action only auto), but about five shots per second with the typical semi-auto pistol with short trigger reset, in each case timing from the first shot.

It's simple time and motion, really. Motion takes time. The longer pull of the double action revolver's trigger, and it's commensurately longer reset, takes more time for the shooter to operate.

Best,
Mas

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I respectfully disagree.

Back in the 1970s, my colleague John Farnam was the first to publish research indicating that the average person can fire about four shots per second with a double action revolver (or double action only auto), but about five shots per second with the typical semi-auto pistol with short trigger reset, in each case timing from the first shot.

It's simple time and motion, really. Motion takes time. The longer pull of the double action revolver's trigger, and it's commensurately longer reset, takes more time for the shooter to operate.

Best,
Mas

Thanks Mas,

That’s always been my perspective, but I found the statement intriguing nonetheless and apparently quite a few folks on various gun forums agree with that statement based on the results I’m seeing after a few google searches.

Would the same hold true for guys like Jerry Miculek? The common assertion seems to be that a revolver is mechanically capable of a faster firing rate and a select few very exceptional individuals are actually capable of it. I’ve seen statements that Jerry can fire 6 rounds out of a revolver faster than he can fire off an equivalent number of rounds in a 1911 supposedly being evidence of it.

·
KoolAidAntidote
5,914 Posts
I know Jerry Miculek, and I'd find that hard to believe. Jerry is on record firing eight shots in one second from an 8-shot S&W N-frame revolver (YouTube) has it, but Jerry is also on video doing a damn good imitation of bump-stock firing with a conventional semi-auto AR15.

(A few years ago, I told Jerry "I've found the secret to beating you, I'm just having a helluva time finding the Kryptonite.")

I'll stand by "semi-autos with short trigger pulls and resets are faster than double action revolvers" until I can SEE some proof to the contrary.

Best,
Mas

1 - 4 of 4 Posts