close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Revolver trigger vs DAO trigger.

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by frank4570, Mar 13, 2010.

1. frank4570

frank4570

I don't have a lot of experience with either of these. But my impression has been that a revolver double action is a lot better than the trigger on a semi-auto double action. Is that actually the case, or is it just my limited experience?

2. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Silver Member

Too many variants... It all depends on what pound trigger pull you are working with in either the revolver or Semi... Depending on that, it could go either way.

3. frank4570

frank4570

Do you have any examples of semi-autos which typically do have good double action triggers?
    I'm kind of shopping for a new gun.

4. captainkronosVH

captainkronosVH

A Glock

I've always though of it is a double action. You are pulling the striker (hammer) back as you pull the trigger=double action. Yea, technically it's "half cocked" but still DA.

5. Berto

Berto woo woo

Kahr and SIG have some decent 'revolver like' DAO triggers in the true long pull. Same with the USP HK. I still prefer a tuned revolver, but there are some autos with very good dao triggers.
    The thing is, with an auto I prefer Browning SA trigger and see little point in a DA/SA gun, although I admit the transition thing is over stated.

6. Novocaine

Novocaine

It's easier to make a good dedicated DAO trigger on semi than it is on revolver. Revolver trigger in addition to cocking and releasing the hammer and disengaging various internal safeties also has to rotate and time the cylinder. Problem is that most semi DAOs are just reworked DA/SA designs which are more complicated. Mostly it comes down to the quality of production, not some overall inherent trait.

Try Beretta 92 DAO if you can find one. Sig Classic line has a very nice DA pull (except for some of the early models) so does CZ.

Glock is closer to single action than it is to DA. As all the designs without the second strike capability are.

7. slumpmaster

slumpmaster Amateur

While a well tuned revolver DA trigger is a beautiful thing, there are better DA triggers out there on autos, in my opinion, if you are comparing stock, untuned guns from the factory.

The generation 3 S&W autos with DAO triggers are pretty nice. And as a previous poster noted, give the 92/96D a try sometime. The Beretta DAO has a long travel, but it is smooth, and breaks in fast. My 96D has a far nicer DA trigger than any of the five revolvers I have owned (none of which were ever touched by a gunsmith, which would change this result). So you will have a basis for comparison, those revolvers are:

S&W model 10, circa 1956.
    S&W model 67, circa 1974.
    S&W model 586, circa 1992.
    Two Dan Wesson model 15's, one Monson, one Norwich.