Home > Firearms Forums > General Firearms Forum > Revolver similar to Python

Revolver similar to Python

1. I’m a semi-auto guy. But I’ve always liked two revolvers: Colt SAA (and Ruger Blackhawks), and the Python.

Now, I’m never gonna pay $2k for a Python. Surely, someone makes a decent facsimile?

A double-action, with a vent rib. What does the GT Braintrust recommend?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Older S&W 586/686 would fit the bill. Has the underlug barrel and stout as hell, but it doesn't have the rib. Mine (a 686 no dash) is real accurate as well.

3. Tauri have ribs. If you want a nice revolver get a S&W 686+.

4. My younger brother has a 6 inch 586 that he bought back in the early 80's. Another friend of mine used to have a 4 inch stainless python and I shot them both many times and the 586 was more accurate. I think I liked the DA trigger on the python a little better, but a good gunsmith can make a Smith and Wesson trigger better than any python.

5. Look at S&W Performance Center or Pro Series 357's. Many of those should suffice.

6. Back in the 1980s I had a Python and a S&W 686. The Python was more accurate with the LRN and S&W were more accurate with the HBWC. I let them both go when I got great offers for them.

Last year I bought a S&W 686 Plus four inch and it is enough to get your nostalgia on and its a handsome revolver. :cowboy:

7. Pre-lock S&W model K gets close. Lots to choose from, best bet is one that has shot plenty of 38 special ammo. The K frame is just a bit smaller than the L frame and fits my hands better. My favorites are the Model 66, model 19, model 65 and model 13. Hard to beat a good model 10 for all around use, the original Military and Police.
    S&W model66.png S&W model65.png my S&W model10.jpeg S&W model 64.png

8. Dan Wesson has versions with a vent rib. Here is my .44

[​IMG]

9. I have owned all the models Bill listed except the Dan Wessons...I am still a Smith guy...I think a tuned L-Frame is the best all around for the $...I read that the high-end Korth's have their fans, but they just don't seem worth the $ to me

10. 20190528_132849.jpg The Dan Wesson model 15-2 would be a good choice, it has the vent rib and happens to be an excellent shooter.
    These are reasonably priced in LNIB condition too. Unlike the python, these are tunable, easy to work on and swap barrels.

11. i have the opposite, 4” 586, 6” Python. The Python is way more accurate in my hands. Could be the 6” barrel helps in both cases.

12. I like S&W the most, too. I was only saying the DW has the vent rib.

Best gun choice, for non-collector money, is probably the S&W 686 :)

13. Just save up and get the real deal. There is nothing similar to a Python, in my opinion.

C68EF89C-B009-42EB-99A7-48C53AF990FC.jpeg
    71A91306-7AE9-4D5E-A150-EE532B94A4A5.jpeg

14. that's 3 you like then :eyebrow:

15. I kinda agree with Bac here. If you want a Python, nothing else will scratch that itch. You'll always look at it and think, "But it's not a Python." How well it shoots won't matter. It just won't be a Python.

16. I bought my first Dan Wesson back in '76 . Its a 15-2 with a 8" and 4" barrel and I passed on a python then . Mine is well used and still just as good a shooter as when new . Bought two more DW revolvers over the next couple years , still have them all . I mounted an early 1 inch tube type red dot on a buehler no drill mount for hunting and have a ultra dot on it today . Its still good for 6 shoots 4" group at 100 yards if I am .

17. The Taurus revolvers from the show elementary come to mind

18. A local gunsmith tells me he can tune a S&W to be a much smoother shooter than a Python. :dunno:
    I finally scratched my Python itch - but it took a lot of years and substitutes (ie Dan Wessons).

python.png

19. and Python prices have been inching down again.

20. No more Rick.

21. I've said it plenty of times on these forums. When Python's were sitting in the displays next to S&W's people bought the S&W's. That's why there are no more Pythons. Now that they aren't made people who never had the choice think Pythons are the end all. My Python was absolute junk. It spit lead out the cylinder gap and I thought it was unsafe to shoot. I sent it back to Colt and they told me there was nothing wrong with it. It was accurate if you didn't mind getting sprayed or having people around you get sprayed.

Lt. Donn...... handle a Korth. Look at the tolerances, feel the trigger, and if you have the opportunity shoot one. Compared to what people are paying for semi custom 1911's Korths are bargains. They are hand made from beginning to end by one person, and they shoot great.

22. lol so much for posting from my phone lol

23. Don't forget the MR 73 my personal favorite along with registered magnums and pre model 27s

24. With the exception of the forward cylinder release, the DW is the gun the Python should have been.

25. Awesome revolvers as well.

26. Sorry, but there is nothing like a 6in. Blue Python.

27. You're right. I'll take this all day long over a 6" Python.

IMG_0287.jpg

28. I forgot the DW had ribs also. I think they're a nice looking revolver too. I've seen them for sale new with 2, 4, 6 and 8 inch barrels for $800. I almost bought one but something else cauhgt my eye.

29. Picked up this DW not too long ago. It is a flame thrower & a beauty.

DanWesson.png

30. Yep, the DW 15-2 is exactly what you're looking for. I'm in the process of finding the right set (Pistol Pac), myself.

Here's my .44 Mag...

20191027_153750.jpg

31. Very nice

mice always liked the bluing on the old Dan Wesson’s. I’ve had a couple myself.

32. In the early 1970's I bought a new Python. I shot and liked it. I kept it for a long generation and sold it, making enough out of it to buy three S&W K frames that I still have. Guns are fun to shoot, and a necessary tool in a sometimes violent world. I have a part time hobby of buying low and selling high. It all started with that Python. :flag:

33. That is a beautiful revolver Josh

34. There is a cult of personality with Colt that I’ve never felt has been justified for the past 30 years I’ve been purchasing firearms. I’ve only owned one Colt that was perfect from the factory, a Blue Label 6920 H-Bar and I sold it because it had oversized pins and a riveted trigger block making it non-mil-spec to kow-tow to those who would trample the Second Amendment.

On 1911s, Colt was notorious for building loose rattle traps, which is why Kimber came to exist. As well, plunger tubes with inadequate staking and too short mounting ears are common. Thumb safeties weren’t crisp and had over-travel. Basically you bought a Colt retail and had to spend double for a good gunsmith to make it how it should have been to begin with, but it was much cheaper to just do that with a Springfield Armory instead. Ask me how I know. Colt killed 1911s and just about all of their products due to crappy quality in the 1980s and Kimber revolutionized the industry in the ‘90s.

The same has already been said about Pythons. You can get better quality for less money with Smith and Wesson as well as Dan Wesson. I’d get a Ruger Security-Six before I’d buy a Colt Python.

35. Thanks and the same to you!

36. joshhtn That 44mag looks like a virgin !! Beautiful

37. I do agree, especially with the 1911s. The Python is unique though, there may be better and there are certainly worse, but nothing like it.

38. I really think the Python is getting shortchanged by many of you. Sure there are tougher revolvers available, Dan Wesson and Ruger certainly come to mind. However, the Python is not as “weak” as many people perceive it to be. I honestly feel many people scoff at the prices they fetch and instantly feel the need to bash it. That happens with many guns. I see it time and time again.

39. Very true Bucky

I’m laughing at some of the comments here. Sure you can buy a Dan Wesson or Ruger and have a very solid 357 Magnum. They are sure as hell no Python, nor would they satisfy someone’s desire for one.

If you want a solid 357, there are plenty of options. If you want a Python, there is one option.

40. Very true CB

I feel there are a handful of 357 Magnums that are "better" than a Python, but the list is short. Those all sell for more money than a Python does.

They still aren't similar to a Python. The Python is unique.

41. Absolutely Bucky

I've never been a fan of the L frame Smiths. I've owned multiple 586's and 686's and never felt any connection with them whatsoever, albeit I tried to like them.

Now, the 6" Python is a thing of pure beauty and very accurate as well. :hearts:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 4" blued was always my favorite, but I'm a 4" revolver guy in the first place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

42. Although my pics of the Korth are't that great, zoom in and look for a gap where the rear sight is attached. You won't see a gap. Then look at bacs pic of the Python. No need to zoom in. Look at the cylinder and even though it's interchangeable. It's the same way.

Back when I had a choice between the Python and a satin blue model 27 I took the 27. The Pythons were great looking but had a reputation for not being as robust, and harder to work on.
    That was back when you pretty much did a trigger job on everything. My Browning High Power went straight to Kings Gun Works for a trigger job, mag disconnect, and S$W sights. My Colt 1911 went straight to Jim Hogue for EVERYTHING. That's the way it was. Pythons had good triggers but were considered weaker.

43. The N Frame Smiths were stronger, but not quite as fined in my opinion. Before the war, they certainly were every bit as refined, if not more so. After the war, much of the hand fitting of the pre war (Registered) Magnum was gone.

Case in point: This Pre-27 from the first year of production (1950) is beautiful and very nicely fit and finished. I still give the Python the edge in overall refinement.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

44. The RM, Korth Combat, and Manurhin MR73 are three 357 Magnums that I'd put a clear step above the Python in almost every way. I still love the Python's look over everything except maybe the Registered Magnum.

S&W Registered Magnum

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Korth Combat (yes vented ribs and all)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Manurhin MR73

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

45. A little off topic...

Does anyone know or remember what Dan Wesson Pistol Pacs went for when new, back in the late 70s/early 80s?

I'm looking to buy a set in .357 and have been curious what they originally sold for, but my googling comes up empty.

46. I like the K-frames, too, but while the gun is slightly smaller than the L-frame, the grips are the exact same size.

The L-frame is a lot closer to the size of the Python.

47. Fairly cheap, Josh

48. I guess the collector in me never liked the L frame. No pinned barrels, no recessed cylinders, no cool history, and basically no character.

I tried to like them, but never could warm up to them for better or worse.

49. I like the older pinned and recessed guns as well, but sometimes "pretty is as pretty does" and my brother has an early 80's 586 6 inch L-frame that has a nicer trigger and is more accurate than any python I've ever shot. The trigger was nice right out of the box but a skilled gunsmith made it better. It is an exceptionally accurate gun, but I can't say they were all like that, though most people who own them say that they're accurate.

Sometimes with mass produced guns, you get one that all the tolerances are perfect on it. Same with automobile engines. Sometimes you get an engine that turns out to have been accidentally "Blueprinted" at the factory and develops significantly more power than an identical model.

Overall, I'd say they're pretty nice guns or they were until S&W eliminated the hammer mounted firing pin, employed other dost-cutting measures, changed the grips, and added the dumbass lock.

50. Someone said that "back in the day" when there were racks of Smiths and racks of Pythons side-by-side, the Smiths always sold out first. Well, YEAH - the Smiths were a third less in cost! I know when I faced that choice I knew I wanted a Python but how could I ever explain to my wife that I spent so much for a service gun. Well, my dear wife recently passed away and she never knew that 60 years ago I spent about $140 for that Python when I coulda got a Smith for less than $100! Or maybe she did know and was just too nice to say anything, she was a real sweetheart like that.