Revolver similar to Python

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Willard, Oct 27, 2019.

1. bac1023

bac1023

The Trooper prior to 1969 when the Mark III debuted.

gamecocks and PattonWasRight like this.
  2. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

so specifically I'd be looking for a mark 2 or mark 1/no mark, correct?

3. bac1023

bac1023

It went from Trooper to Trooper Mark III

Nothing between

4. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

For those not in the know, are there easily identifiable features? Shrouded ejector vs not? Firing pin on hammer vs frame?

Mayhem like Me likes this.
  5. PzGren

PzGren

Having money doesn't guarantee good taste, nor excellence in marksmanship.

6. bac1023

bac1023

Very true Andy

Just because a person is loaded doesn’t mean they will appreciate the finer things in life when it comes to firearms or anything else.

Dynactus and PzGren like this.
  7. bac1023

bac1023

Yes Bucky, the ejecting Rod is shrouded on the MK III and the hammer is of a different profile and style. The transfer bar is present in the MK III.

gamecocks and PattonWasRight like this.
  8. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I have a question(s).

Looking at wiki, Trooper = 1953. Python = 1955.

People say, even in the wiki it says, that Colt offered the Trooper as a less expensive alternative to the Python.

If Trooper came out first, wouldn't instead the Python be a more expensive alternative to the Trooper? Are they based on the same gun, same action, same frame? Or are they completely different?

Did the changes for the Trooper Mark III also get given to the Python? Or did the Python stay with things such as firing pin on hammer?

9. bac1023

bac1023

The Python never had the firing pun on the hammer. The changes that the Trooper Mk III brought on did not affect the Python.

The early Trooper used the same action as the Python and the same frame, with a bit less attention to detail and obviously with less elaborate styling.

10. Fox

Fox Varmit Control

Which is only a problem for people that dont know how to handload their own ammunition.

11. Fox

Fox Varmit Control

Do you mean that one can't find .38/44 factory ammunition these days? If so then you missed my point about handloads and yes. hand loading brings out the full potential of the .38 Special cartridge. It can equal much of the .357 Magnum factory ammunition.

Elmer Keith had developed a good load for the .38 Special with a 170gr bullet of his own design. You can order the mold from Lyman.

12. bac1023

bac1023

Oh ok

So everyone would rather handload 38-44 over 357 Magnum? What point are you trying to make, that the Official Police in 38 Special is a good substitute for a Python?

Whatever floats your boat, I guess...

13. bac1023

bac1023

Not everyone handloads or has the time to do so even if they wanted to bother. I personally haven't handloaded anything in 15-20 years.

If you think the 38-44 spec 38 Special is a good substitute for 357 Magnum in 2019, I think you're mistaken. Lots of folks wouldn't even know what you were referring to.

Give us a break already.

Joshhtn likes this.
  14. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

Ref early trooper,
    They were the shooter version of the 3 5 7. The 357 was the premier revolver till the python came along.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

gamecocks likes this.
  15. Pluto57

Pluto57

I think this thread took a wrong turn quickly and only occasionally veered back on track. It seemed to me that the OP was looking for something physically similar to the Python, specifically something with a vent rib. Seems like the DW would be the best bet.

Berto and gamecocks like this.
  16. scattershot

scattershot

17. Berto

Berto woo woo

With all due respect, you should speak for yourself here...not 'us'.

18. bac1023

bac1023

With all due respect, I’d like to see how many folks consider the 38 Special Official Police or any 38 Special for that matter, a good Python substitute.

...and yes, the vast majority of shooters do not reload or know a whole lot about 38-44 ballistics.

Berto and fx77 like this.
  19. gamecocks

gamecocks

I think about it like this- Some people like to enjoy fine wines. They might enjoy the taste, or the complex flavors, or who knows what. Some people might like cheap wine. They both get you drunk, but they are obviously not the same thing...

Some people like to enjoy fine revolvers. They might enjoy the fine hand craftsmanship, or the flawless finish, or who knows what. Some people like cheap revolvers. You can take both to the range, pull the trigger, and put rounds on target and hopefully a smile on your face. To SOME people this might make them the same, or similar, but they are surely NOT the same.

ithaca_deerslayer likes this.
  20. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Your wish has come true.

Does the "38 Special Official Police" look the same as the Python? I dunno.

Is the "38-44" the same brass as the .38 special? I dunno.

I handload, and I've never seen a 38-44. I'm not sure, but I have the vague idea from foggy memory of reading that it might be a hot loaded .38 special, before .357 magnum was invented. But maybe it was .44 brass necked down to .38, and then loaded hotter than .38 special?

I thought in S&W it was an N frame gun, so it could be based on .44 brass. But if it is in a gun someone thinks is similar to a Python, then that is about a S&W L frame size, and it therefore wouldn't be .44 brass unless only a 5 shot. But bac would have mentioned 5 instead of 6. So based on all that, I'm guessing .38 special brass loaded above +P (which may not have been invented yet).

As a handloader (even before becoming one), I'm aware that .38 brass can hypothetically be loaded to average .357 magnum levels, but generally not safe to do so unless one really knows the gun it will be used in. Because of the extra length of .357 magnum, the very top end of performance can't be matched, but otherwise there could be a lot of overlap in power.

But if the 38-44 fits in guns only designed for .38 special power levels, who'd want those rounds lying around. All handloaders die someday. Wife and kids or grandkids or strangers end up with the stuff.

When I make .38 special +P ammo, I use brass marked +P. I think most, if not all, .38 special guns can probably handle some +P. It just might wear them out faster. I'm not positive about that, but at least +P ammo has guns marked + P that it goes into.

But if I loaded .38 special brass to magnum levels, I'd be concerned it would blow up a .38 special gun (even a +P gun).

Is there 38-44 marked brass available? I don't know. I get all my brass from shooting factory ammo. Is there 38-44 factory ammo? But even if the ammo was marked 38-44, I don't know what would keep someone from putting it in a .38 special gun.

I, myself, could research 38-44. But at the moment that's all I know about it.

As a consumer, I favor revolvers marked .38 special, .38 special/+P, .357 magnum, .44 special, and .44 magnum. I don't have any .45 revolvers, but I'd consider the varieties of .45ACP, .45 Colt, and .454 Casull.

I'd be very hesitant to buy a 38-44 revolver unless I researched it and the various issues I mentioned a lot more. Plus I think it'd have to be nearly free before I considered tackling these issues. I'd question the strength of the older gun, and I'd question me getting into it, if the guns aren't readily available. I would not want to invest into the handloading dies (if I didn't have them) or the load development time for just one gun, especially an older gun that might have issues and I might not be able to fix or easily replace.

Put all that together, and I'd be much more likely to get involved in a bunch of .45 guns, or maybe .32 guns, if I wanted something different than .38/.357mag and .44/.44mag.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019