Revolver similar to Python

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Willard, Oct 27, 2019.

1. bac1023

bac1023

Absolutely Bucky

I've never been a fan of the L frame Smiths. I've owned multiple 586's and 686's and never felt any connection with them whatsoever, albeit I tried to like them.

Now, the 6" Python is a thing of pure beauty and very accurate as well. :hearts:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 4" blued was always my favorite, but I'm a 4" revolver guy in the first place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SpringerTGO

SpringerTGO

Although my pics of the Korth are't that great, zoom in and look for a gap where the rear sight is attached. You won't see a gap. Then look at bacs pic of the Python. No need to zoom in. Look at the cylinder and even though it's interchangeable. It's the same way.

Back when I had a choice between the Python and a satin blue model 27 I took the 27. The Pythons were great looking but had a reputation for not being as robust, and harder to work on.
    That was back when you pretty much did a trigger job on everything. My Browning High Power went straight to Kings Gun Works for a trigger job, mag disconnect, and S$W sights. My Colt 1911 went straight to Jim Hogue for EVERYTHING. That's the way it was. Pythons had good triggers but were considered weaker.

3. bac1023

bac1023

The N Frame Smiths were stronger, but not quite as fined in my opinion. Before the war, they certainly were every bit as refined, if not more so. After the war, much of the hand fitting of the pre war (Registered) Magnum was gone.

Case in point: This Pre-27 from the first year of production (1950) is beautiful and very nicely fit and finished. I still give the Python the edge in overall refinement.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ithaca_deerslayer and fx77 like this.
  4. bac1023

bac1023

The RM, Korth Combat, and Manurhin MR73 are three 357 Magnums that I'd put a clear step above the Python in almost every way. I still love the Python's look over everything except maybe the Registered Magnum.

S&W Registered Magnum

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Korth Combat (yes vented ribs and all)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Manurhin MR73

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Gold Member

A little off topic...

Does anyone know or remember what Dan Wesson Pistol Pacs went for when new, back in the late 70s/early 80s?

I'm looking to buy a set in .357 and have been curious what they originally sold for, but my googling comes up empty.

6. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

I like the K-frames, too, but while the gun is slightly smaller than the L-frame, the grips are the exact same size.

The L-frame is a lot closer to the size of the Python.

45caldan and glock1097 like this.
  7. bac1023

bac1023

Fairly cheap, Josh

Joshhtn likes this.
  8. bac1023

bac1023

I guess the collector in me never liked the L frame. No pinned barrels, no recessed cylinders, no cool history, and basically no character.

I tried to like them, but never could warm up to them for better or worse.

9. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

I like the older pinned and recessed guns as well, but sometimes "pretty is as pretty does" and my brother has an early 80's 586 6 inch L-frame that has a nicer trigger and is more accurate than any python I've ever shot. The trigger was nice right out of the box but a skilled gunsmith made it better. It is an exceptionally accurate gun, but I can't say they were all like that, though most people who own them say that they're accurate.

Sometimes with mass produced guns, you get one that all the tolerances are perfect on it. Same with automobile engines. Sometimes you get an engine that turns out to have been accidentally "Blueprinted" at the factory and develops significantly more power than an identical model.

Overall, I'd say they're pretty nice guns or they were until S&W eliminated the hammer mounted firing pin, employed other dost-cutting measures, changed the grips, and added the dumbass lock.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    45caldan and glock1097 like this.
  10. OleFart

OleFart

Someone said that "back in the day" when there were racks of Smiths and racks of Pythons side-by-side, the Smiths always sold out first. Well, YEAH - the Smiths were a third less in cost! I know when I faced that choice I knew I wanted a Python but how could I ever explain to my wife that I spent so much for a service gun. Well, my dear wife recently passed away and she never knew that 60 years ago I spent about $140 for that Python when I coulda got a Smith for less than $100! Or maybe she did know and was just too nice to say anything, she was a real sweetheart like that.

45caldan, Willard, CajunBass and 5 others like this.
  11. gatorboy

gatorboy ( . Y . )

Which war are you referring to?

12. SpringerTGO

SpringerTGO

The difference in refinement between a satin n frame S&W and a Python is at best splitting hairs. The difference in durability is large. The difference in serviceability is also large. This was typical thinking at that time. As to the difference in price (not to insult anyone) most people who could afford a $100 handgun could afford a $140 one. And again, not to insult anyone, but most people who couldn't afford the $40 difference should have been making the car payment instead and held off on buying any handgun.

One more thing for bac........ you say pre war N frames were as refined (or more so) than the Colts. What about post 1970 Pythons? How do you think they compared? My experience is that they don't, and not in a good way.

13. gatorboy

gatorboy ( . Y . )

If you're talkng about the gun with multiple barrels of different lengths that can be swapped; there are some on GB for $800 -$900 that I was looking at about a year ago. I thought that was a very reasonable price though I'm not very famliar with DW revolvers. Dan Wesson is a good name IMO.

Joshhtn likes this.
  14. bac1023

bac1023

WWII

When it comes to revolvers, that’s the only war generally referred to, especially Magnums.

gatorboy likes this.
  15. gatorboy

gatorboy ( . Y . )

I assumed that but was confused by all of your beautiful wheel guns.

16. bac1023

bac1023

:supergrin:

Thanks

17. bac1023

bac1023

I prefer pre 1975 Pythons. The two blues models I posted were built in ‘65 and ‘71, respectively.

I have this 2003 matte stainless Python Elite. As pretty as it is, it’s not nearly as nice as my older Pythons.

C1B7C3D4-2CE5-4593-B734-1ECA8C2A266C.jpeg
    630B245C-9183-411B-A6E2-B592DF48BF1F.jpeg

18. Steel & Wood

Steel & Wood Build the Wall

My suggestion as well.

You have the same 686 that I have, a no-dash, mine is the 4" barrel.

[​IMG]

glock1097 and gatorboy like this.
  19. IAhunter

IAhunter Venor ergo sum

Just north of the wall, Cochise County, Arizona
    Looks just like mine with one exception, mine wears the same Pachmayr grips I used on a duty (agency issued) 686-4 back in the early 1990's. They are well worn and feel like I am shaking hands with a close friend when I grip the gun.

G19 DB, glock1097 and gatorboy like this.
  20. Liquid

Liquid

Keep an eye out there, I just won a 6 inch date code 1990 on gunbroker for 1200. Granted it's not that pretty and definitely not a safe queen, more like a shoebox harlot. I'll post pictures when I get it.

Willard and ithaca_deerslayer like this.