Revolver sights

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by motorcyclist, Jan 17, 2010.

1. motorcyclist

motorcyclist

Love my Ruger SP101 and it may wind up as my carry gun. Over the years though I'm having a harder time picking up the front sight in poor light. Painting the sight helps, but would like to find something more permanent. Would like to hear from some that have a Trijicon or Meprolite (only ones I can find for the SP) front sight. Like it? Does it help?

2. Bruce M

Bruce M

I find it more difficult to acquire the sights lately also. I dont have a SP101 but a couple other revolvers including a Ruger and a couple pistols. Lately I am impressed with the TruGlow TFO - good in both bright light and darkness. I have a pistol with tritium sights; it is easy to find the sights in darkness but I find them less easy in the daylight now than standard all black sights. Ride safe.

3. jmb79

jmb79

I have a Meprolight front sight on all my SP101s, except for the .22lr version. The Meprolight makes acquisition of the front sight much easier/quicker in low light to no light conditions.

Another thing that I have done to help is to have the rear sight notch widened. I don't use my SP101s for precision target shooting. They are self defense guns. The wider rear notch aids in the ability to quickly pick up the front sight.

4. RayB

RayB Retired Member

5. motorcyclist

motorcyclist

Thanks for the replys. Looks like I'll be ordering a Meprolight front sight as soon as somebody gets them off backorder. I've heard a lot of good about XS big dot and Truglo, but I can't find anything for the Ruger SP101 that they make.