Revolver sights for my 1911?

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by darwin25, Jun 7, 2005.

1. darwin25

darwin25 Make your move

I recently saw an old article about 1911's made by the late Armand Swenson. I know that he has very good reputation in the US as one of the finest gunsmiths during his time. I read also in some other articles that one of his most common modification to a 1911 is the use of Smith & Wesson K38 adjustable revolver sights. I have been using revolvers for a long time now, and revolver sights are very good for defensive use. My S&W M51 .22 Magnum's black front sight is easy to see even in very low light. You just cant miss those big front sights. I am now also planning to install those same kind of sights with my 1911 Norinco Commander.I want revolver adjustables because I want the best of both worlds, Large front sight for defense. Adjustable rear for competition and accuracy work. Is there anybody who knows of this kind of modification in a 1911? And does anybody know what gunstores has them in stock?

2. revo

revo

That's kinda old.

These days it's Bomar rear and Nowling front.

3. darwin25

darwin25 Make your move

4. darwin25

darwin25 Make your move

Yah I know. But I hate the post configuration of pistols' front sights.

Anyway to give you guys an idea of what I am talking about this is the picture of Wault Rauch's Swenson 1911.

This is the caption in the M1911.org: Walt Rauch Swenson-build M-1911 This gun, was made by the late Armand Swenson and is currently owned by famous lawman Walt Rauch. It features several of the modifications that made Swenson guns famous, like the square trigger guard (I can't agree with that, but... ), the Smith & Wesson adjustable revolver rear site, melted on the top of the slide, a notched barrel hood, which acts as a loaded-chamber indicator, and the barrel positioner, a small piece of metal, welded on the inside of the slide, which allows better lateral precision during lock-up.

5. darwin25

darwin25 Make your move

6. batangueno

batangueno Shock Resist

It might be hard to find that kind of rear site locally. Maybe you can take a look at the Novak style adjustables that Col Bayang has, then have him make you a tall front sight also.

7. Alexii

Alexii Janeway Forever

I know what you're talking about, Darwin. Swenson .45s are now collectible guns in the US. Even Walt Rauch limits the range time of his Swensons. I think Swenson is also the one who pioneered the use of squared off trigger guard.

I once explored this S&W revolver sight option but my predilection for fixed sights won over. Ditto that it could provide fast sight acquisition.

8. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

Kaya'ng gawin ng mga local smiths natin ya. Yun lang pag nag-bago isip mo sa sights at gusto mo na palitan ng iba, tigweld ang kailangan kasi mahaba yung milled portion.

I'm willing to bet ang sight pic ng sights na yan 'di magkaka-layo sa square bomars. You can always have the notch widened to match your wide front. ;)

Another cool and unique rear is yung milled Novak like this:

[​IMG]

9. bulm540

bulm540

What revo said, they use to use it prior to the bomars- ( IMO, best iron sights in the market today).

10. Allegra

Allegra

Wala pa kasi bomars nung panahon nu swenson
    Bomars will outperform those smith adjustables

IMO, stick w/ the fixed rears
    and have a gunsmith machine you a front sight you want

11. Mang Danny

Mang Danny

12. FAlvar

FAlvar I love Iya

Like you I prefer the S&W adjustable's sight picture. The notch is just the right width when paired with a S&W front sight also. I also trust the durability of this sight. Anything that can handle revolvers up to 500SW Mag is certainly a strong sight.

IMHO, the Bo-Mar lets just a tad too much daylight on both sides of the notch when the front post is centered. But I like the Wilson adj sight picture too. So that might be one option you can explore.

I've read a couple of complaints about Novak's lo mount adjustables.

The biggest downside of having the S&W sight installed is the need for a new slide if you change your mind down the road.