Revolver question(Taurus, Rossi, S&W)

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by ilgunguygt, Feb 13, 2010.

1. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

I have been kicking around a 357 mag revolver for a while. I was debating getting a cheapo ala rossi or taurus. Possibly a Ruger GP100. Today I was offered a 99.9 pre-lock S&W for 500 FTF. Its a 4" 686. 6 shot, adjustable sight. What say you, good deal, or let it pass?

2. ilgunguygt

I forgot to mention it comes with two sets of grips, the black rubber ones and wood finger grip.

3. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Sounds good to me.

The last couple years the pre lock Smiths have been fast increasing in price.

Plus, now days, it's worth a extra $100 if the gun doesn't have a paper trail.

4. 2afreedom

2afreedom

$500 doesn't seem like a horrible deal on a pre-lock model. You can probably get a GP100 for around $400 or maybe a little less if you look around some. I have owned or known people who have owned Taurus or Rossi revolvers that shot well and held up fine but they do seem to be more of a crap shoot than Smith or Ruger.

5. 2009Glocker

2009Glocker Right Winger

A 686 is a very good choice, you will love the way it shoots.
    A 4 inch is a good balanced gun.

6. ilgunguygt

I think I am going to pick it up tonite. Its actually going to be a valentines day present for my wife. She has always wanted a stainless 357. I feel totqally comfortable with a ruger, I own two of their SA revolvers. It just seems like a good deal on a good smith. That and I have always liked the 686.

7. thisaway

thisaway

8. oldnoob

oldnoob

$500 is a decent price for 686 lock or not. As long as the gun is in great shape (I'm assume your "99.9 pre-lock S&W for 500 FTF" meant 99% new).

These days in my neck of wooks, a NIB Ruger GP cost $600+, and NIB S&W L frame goes $700~800+. One of reason why I stay with my last gen Ruger Security Six and my Smith pre 14 Target Masterpice.

9. gatorhugger

gatorhugger

I have a smith 65 and 66, and have had a Ruger Security six. Also had and sold a Taurus 66 and a Taurus 85 I both sold.
    Loved them all. The Taurus 66 did have to go back to the shop to get the barrel set back a bit but after that it was fine.
    My favorite though is surprisingly a Taurus 608. It is a Huge gun, but has a
    very sweet trigger,much better than either of my old Smith's.
    It will outshoot a Smith 66 anyday and that is saying a lot since I consider the 66
    one of the nicest shooting and looking handguns ever made.

I don't know if the 608 is better than the 686 but you may want to compare a Taurus 608 side by side with the smith 686.
    The Taurus is a fine gun, if you read reviews on that gun you will see why I am
    so positive on that particular revolver. There was one review I read of the 608 versus the 686, I think in Gunblast and the 608 came out on top. Might want to search for that.
    It offers 8 shots, and like I said is smooth as silk right out of the box.
    For $400 it can't be beat.

10. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

While I would never place one even with a glock or other good semi-auto, Taurus, S&W, and Ruger all three make very good revolvers. Don't know about Rossi. Never owned one, never wanted to. Sounds as if your price is a bit high. Find a few more of that gun for sale at auction or bulletin board sales. Gauge the price from there. I wouldn't pay 500 for it, but that may be the going price in your area.

11. Magus

Magus Deo Vindice

Get a Ruger GP100, I will say no more.

12. Puppy

Puppy

I am really fond of 686's, so it'd probably be my first choice.

13. deathpriest

deathpriest

I got a new Taurus tracker 4" for $480 OTD. No problems with it and is more accurate than me. S&W $500, almost new, I'd say go for it.

Blessings,

14. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I have the 586. Nice gun. I wouldn't mind if it had a shorter barrel.

[​IMG]

15. glocknick

glocknick

i have a ruger sp101 i got used for 300 and has been running like a champ.

16. oldfort

oldfort

Several years from now the Smith should be worth more of a higer percentage of initial cost than the Ruger. The Ruger will be higher than the Taurus/Rossi. Smith's have been the best investments over the years. Good luck.

17. ilgunguygt

I couldnt find one for less than 425. When you add shipping and ffl, it isnt much cheaper, and doesnt come with the extra grips.

I went ahead and got it, very nice. Hopefully I will p ut some pics up soon of my wifes new gun.