Revolver or Glock for Home Protection?

Discussion in 'GATE Self-Defense Forum' started by Jetdoctorbox, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Jetdoctorbox

Jetdoctorbox

One of my neighbors walked up to me yesterday and told me he went to a gun range yesterday for the first time. This guy is in his early to mid sixties and asked me what I thought would be a good first handgun for home protection. At the range he shot a G17 and now seems hell bent on picking one up. My first thoughts were to recommend some type of revolver for the home for starters, take a few classes, and then work his way up to using that G17 for home protection once he's more familiar. What would you recommend???

orangejeep06 likes this.
  2. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob KoolAidAntidote Moderator

For a new shooter, the double action only revolver tends to leave fewer openings for mistakes. You don't mention what firearms safety training he's had; did the range officer load the gun for him or show him how to load or unload, etc.

Since he's a neighbor, what's chances of you taking him to the range and showing him the ropes?

Good luck,
    Mas

3. Jetdoctorbox

Jetdoctorbox

Thanks for the reply. From what I understand, he went shooting with a friend of his who is a police officer. I'm assuming he showed him the basics. (You never really know) I did tell him the next time I go down to the range he was more than welcome to come along. He has absolutely no training and I did press the point of him to take some classes offered at the range I go to.