close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

revolver metal damage?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by rsm688, Jan 19, 2010.

1. rsm688

rsm688

I found a sweet revolver at a local gun shop with lots of custom work for a good price but on the frame and cylinder there are rough marks in the metal (looks like it was ground on concrete). Is there anyway to remove these, can you just sand it down until they are gone or what are other options?

Thanks,
    Spencer

2. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

You may be able to bead blast some of it out.

3. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

4. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

Gouges are one thing, scuffs are another.
    A scuff or light scratches on a brushed stainless gun can be removed with a pencil eraser.

Gouges would probably have to be ground and filled. Pretty much how a person would repair a gun with pits.

5. rsm688

rsm688

no pics, its an old Smith and Wesson PPC revolver with a big slab side bull barrel, bar sto vent rib sights, lots of trigger work, etc. Its gouges not scoughs, looks kinda like asphault indentions. Any idea on how much it would cost to have it ground and filled?

thanks,
    Spencer

6. diamondmike

diamondmike

I have heard of people filling in pits and dents with stuff like liquid steel etc.

They said they filled the pits and dents in with the liquid steel and let it dry and then sanded the excess off to make it flush with the rest of the gun and then reblued it.

In case you dont know what I mean by liquid steel it comes in a tube like glue and there is no heat or anything needed to use it.
    You just apply it like you would do glue out of a tube.

They say some brands are better than others and actually holds up as good as real steel.

7. rsm688

rsm688

Are you talking about like JB weld? I am just going to get a new cylinder if I get it (as they are all over gunbroker and not too pricey) and would just need to do work on the frame itself (the barrel and sights are perfect).

thanks,
    spencer