Revolver action getting tight with use?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Adam5, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Adam5

Adam5

I ran into a minor issue with two of my revolvers at the range the other day that I wanted opinions on. I rarely run more than 50 rounds through them, but tan more this time. I ran 100 rounds of Winchester White Box 130gr fmj as well as a handful of Critical Defense 110gr through my S&W 60, and 150 American Eagle 40 gr through my Ruger SP101 .22. I ran all the rounds on about 40 minutes and both were getting fairly hot. Both loads were kind of dirty and smoky. After a while the actions on both started getting a little tight feeling, especially cocking into SA. I tend to over lubricate my pistols at times and am wondering if this could be too much oil collecting dirt? Could it be the dirty ammo? After sitting and cleaning both actions are smooth as always. Thoughts?

2. ede

ede

My guess would be rebound slide and /or rebound spring.

3. R*E

R*E

Check the b/c gap. Clean the face of the cylinder if needed.

4. newglocker10mm

newglocker10mm Texas Born & Bred

check distance between cylinder and forcing cone after shooting. Buildup on the end of the cylinder could restrict the free rotation, causing a harder trigger pull to rotate the cylinder.

5. Adam5

Adam5

I was wondering if it was buildup from running cheap and dirty ammo.

45caldan likes this.
  6. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Heat expands metal, so not surprising if something started to bind. Maybe, dunno :)

CAcop and apmcdaniel like this.
  7. wild cat mccane

wild cat mccane

Or the gap could be so tight that the cylinder heating up, like you said you were a bit into it, that any amount of expansion is causing the cylinder to bind on the forcing cone.

Should be easy to tell if that guess is wrong though.

CAcop likes this.
  8. collim1

collim1 5ft of fury. The champ is back!

Check the ejector rod. Make sure it hasn’t backed out. I have one revolver that the ejector rod backs out on after a few hundred rounds and can jam the action up.

I also have another revolver that is particularly sensitive to crud buildup. It gets in the cylinder internals and gums it up. It’s especially tightly fit compared to my other guns and it’s the only one that jams up from being dirty. It’s a 2” K frame and it jams up pretty quickly shooting my reloads with Win231. I think because it doesn’t burn fully in the shorter barrel.

I just got in the habit of doing a disassembly and clean/lube every few hundred rounds.

So much for revolvers being “jam proof” huh? Quite to contrary actually, most people just don’t realize revolvers have some issues as well

Getting an empty case stuck underneath the extractor Star is a particularly nasty jam. You better have a backup if it happens during a fight. It’s only happened to me twice in practice. Both in my J frame due to the short ejector rod.

FullClip, orangejeep06 and Ross-in-Pa like this.
  9. Berto

Berto woo woo

Make sure the muzzle is pointed straight up when punching out the empties. It helps keep unburnt powder from getting under the extractor star. If you overlube especially, that area under the star will get cruddy faster and you'll notice a dragging sensation in the trigger pull or hammer cocking effort.

10. flyover

flyover

I have a Ruger SP 101 that gets tight after running several hundred rounds through it. I clean the ejector rod and it is good to go.

FullClip likes this.
  11. PRKJayhawk

PRKJayhawk

Plus one on checking under the star. Even if you hold the revolver muzzle up, I’d wipe that out every 50 rounds or so.

12. ruffterrain

ruffterrain

Whenever the action on my revolver feels tight, I just shoot a heavier load through it to loosen her up...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    UNIT 6639, gatorboy, Johnix and 2 others like this.
  13. Bill Keith

Bill Keith

Good tips here so far. Crud can build up if you overlube a pistol. Do check the cylinder gap between the barrel and forcing cone, buildup does happen on the end of the cylinder toward the barrel.

14. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

Let them cool down and try again

15. 45caldan

45caldan

I had a S&W 19 that had a tight b/c gap and yes it didn’t like dirty reloads. After a box of 50 you could feel it really dragging.
    I said before I would rather grab a dirty Glock off the table to fight with than a dirty revolver any day!

16. TheBigCroaker

TheBigCroaker

I have a S&W 19-3; had same problem. I my case, Collim1 was right; ejector rod backing out. Tightened it and periodically check it and no problems since.
    tbc.

17. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

How well do you clean them? Shouldn't be a major problem with FMJ ammo, but I have had to clean the front of the cylinder and rear of the forcing cone to keep one running in the past.