Revisiting Fran

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by DBradD, Jun 26, 2007.

1. DBradD

DBradD Guest

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Sorry guys, but I gotta brag about this one. I did Fran (21,15,9 of 95 lb thrusters + pullups) for the first time tonight since last November when I was CFing. The first time I did Fran, it took 16:10. Second time, it was 11:40. Tonight, I did it in 7:45!!!?!?!?!!??! With all dead-hangers and no squat rack to sit the barbell on between rounds, I'd say that's not too bad of a time. Needless to say, I'm pretty psyched about all the burpees, etc., in the Never Gymless program!

I might never be a CF sub 3 minute beast, but I'm happy!

2. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

3. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Awesome!

Good for you:banana:

4. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

Having done Fran (the workout :) ) a good few times, I know how tough that really is. Congrats! :thumbsup: That is a spectacular time improvement.

The 3-minute folks are simply freaks of nature - end of story. Then again, there are tons of freaks around. Watching some track & field this weekend, I was just in awe (as usual) to see them run 400m in the 45 second range. That just astounds me. I'd have to shave my time nearly in half to reach that.

5. DBradD

DBradD Guest

Certainly true. I ran track in HS and competed against some of those guys. It's no fun getting beat by 50m-60m in a 400m run! Powerlifting was the same deal for me. I trained for a long time and go to a barely respectable level. Then there would be guys come on the team who were almost as strong as me from Day 1 and pass me up in no time.

FWIW, just like any other sport, a lot of the elite CFers seem to be built for those exact events, in other words, about like a rock climber, with strong upper body and light legs.

Skill also plays a big role in a lot of these workouts. I'm convinced that's a big part of my improvement on some of these--just getting better at the movements and gaming the event. This probably makes me look like I've improved more than I have. For example, for 100 burpees race, I figured out how to break up the subsets to get the max number of reps (go in manageable sets instead of charging through about 30-40 and standing there with hands on knees for 2 minutes trying to get going again). I also got smoother at the form and figured out when to breathe. I'd speculate that a lot of the elite CFers are similar, except more extreme (smoother kipping, etc.).

6. proactive

proactive

That's a very respectable improvement IMO.:thumbsup:

7. austin slater

austin slater Guest

Hate to revisit an older post but Im curious what type of training you used to improve your fran time so much. Do you think the burpees helped with metcon enough to improve on your fran score? Great time by the way!

8. DBradD

DBradD Guest

Austin, LOL, that IS an old one! Thanks for the compliment on the time. Not bad for me, but nothing like the sub-3:00 cyborg-implanted CFers.

I had been doing CF for a little while and then switched to Ross Enamait's Never Gymless for various reasons. I had done his 50 day program. In case you haven't taken a look at it, it's similar to CF, but with almost no equipment. It focuses quite a bit on burpees. My guess is that drastically increasing burpees made all the difference.

9. proactive

proactive

:wavey: Hi Austin!

LOL I opened this thread thinking DBrad was back on the CF.

10. DBradD

DBradD Guest

Nope. Maybe someday. The "one size fits all" approach isn't to my liking at the current moment. All one's gotta do is have one little nagging injury and that wipes out most of the WODs. It's much easier to workaround using a custom program.

11. Slotback

Slotback Glock 35 Millennium Member

Damn impressive. Period. A couple of weeks ago, I tried something in the same vein...but with KB Snatches and Burpees. I didn't keep time, but it toasted me.

12. C0BRA

C0BRA Guest

DBD,

Do you have a specific time you want to reach? I'm sure you can shave that down to sub 6:00 :supergrin:

13. DBradD

DBradD Guest

Thanks guys. I gave myself a case of golfer's elbow, so haven't done pullups since about the time I posted that last summer. Folks who are really good at Fran do it in the 2:19-4:00 range, so my times plant me firmly into the mediocre category, LOL. Anybody doing it sub-3:30 or 4:00 is a beast IMO.

14. Scarecrow28

Scarecrow28 Guest