Review of Seth's Custom Leathers holsters & belts

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by fnfalman, Apr 15, 2012.

1. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

A few months back, I spoke with Seth's Custom Leathers about making some holsters for me. One of them is a crossdraw for my Colt snubbie (driving in car), one is a Face/Off style SOB dual holster for the Colt snubbies (just for the heck of it), a regular right side Paladin for the P228 plus single mag pouch and belt. All in dark brown, naturally.

First of all, I love the leathers that they use: substantial yet supple. Break-in is going to be relatively painless and fast.

Secondly, to address Seth's Custom Leathers' concern with the P228 mag (it's a new high carry design that they're trying out and they are afraid that the mag may twist away from the body too much), yes I think there may be a validity in their concern BUT it's not all bad. It does twist away from the body a bit...HOWEVER, it may be a blessing in disguise for us fat folks. It doesn't stick too far out and it doesn't dig into the rib cage/side. I think that for people with spare tires, this design would be good. My own concern is with the "bite" of the mag pouch. It's only about maybe 1/3 worth of contact with the mag and when the pouch is well worn, I am not confident that it will still retain the mag. Right now the mag is fairly easy to pull out.

The P228 holster is super swell. Holds the gun securely yet I can draw very smoothly from it. The small rake/draw angle is not too extreme for me. Just about perfect for yours truly.

The Colt snubbie holsters...I think they need to advertise the crossdraw holster. The crossdraw can be carried near the appendix while driving and it doesn't dig into the belly at all. It can be scooted back to the waist when walking around for more concealment and I can still draw from it.

The Face/Off holster...call me crazy but there might be a valid reason to carry the guns that way. When I put the Cobra and Agent back there (aluminum frame), they literally disappear. I can't feel anything at all, not even when sitting down. I can still draw from them (left hand draw needs some practice). Reholster is tricky but if I were to really have to draw the gun, reholstering is going to be the least of my concern.

Yes, yes, back injury and all that but I'm not a cop. I'm not doing parkour all over the joint either. Maybe a single-gun SOB for a snubbie wouldn't be bad at all for those of us who don't anticipate in muy thai or MMA shootfighting at every street corner. I have a Galco SOB for my Colt Officer's ACP and I don't like it, but the snubbie configuration may be a more viable gun choice.

BTW, I scratched the holsters a bit while doing some "ninja rolls". Dammit!!! But I gotta see if things would stay intact under duress. I didn't do the "ninja rolls" with the Face/Off holsters though.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Paladin for P228 worn on the hip (3 o'clock position).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

P228 holster & mag pouch worn at 4 o'clock position. Okay, maybe 3:30 and not quite 4 o'clock.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Colt snubbie worn at forward position.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Colt snubbie worn at the hip (3 o'clock) position.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Face/Off. Ol' What's-His-Name ain't got nuthin' on me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Shadyscott69

Shadyscott69

Glad you like them. Let me know how that mag holder works. If you aren't happy with it I will send you our normal design or redesign the high ride to put more tension on the mag. You have the prototype! :supergrin:

[​IMG]

8. sappy13

sappy13

i really like the look of those. im gona have to check them out for a my new g19.

9. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Hi Scott,

I already PMed you but the prototype high ride mag pouch definitely is on the loose side. The fully loaded mag would fall out fairly easy under duress.

10. Shadyscott69

Shadyscott69

I PM'd you back. As I wrote in the PM, it isn't hard to make a mag carrier that works, it is just hard to make one that is pretty and works. This is our normal design.

[​IMG]

The retention is fully adjustable. We actually have a butt load of these being used in IDPA and USPSA production. You want me to send you one of these?

11. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

Man that's some nice gear!

12. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Scott,

I hope that your stickers are as high quality as your leathers because I got'em stuck on my SCUBA tanks and I'm goin' deep next weekend.

13. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Very nice! I got my 1911 Paladin yesterday, it's a very nice holster! I'm now considering another Paladin for my Beretta.

14. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I have another set ordered for Beretta 92FS.

15. NeverMore1701

Very cool. I think I need a brown set, my current setup is all cordovan with black shark.

16. larson1122

larson1122

Wow those look great!

17. NeverMore1701

On a somewhat unrelated note... Seth, have you made any Paladins for the P238? I kinda want one for some reason.

18. Shadyscott69

Shadyscott69

:rofl: I don't have a clue.

19. Shadyscott69

Shadyscott69

Where are the pics, Luke?

20. Shadyscott69

Shadyscott69

They still don't make a mold. Let me check and see if I can borrow a gun from someone.