Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally got a chance to use my Auto Prime XR today as I finally got around to load some pesky SP 45ACP.

I was ready not to like the design. I like simple and this thing looked far more complicated than the older design.

First the oblivious. The tray is square and there is a little corral that lines the primers up before they enter the priming system. It took me a while to get used to snapping/sliding on the tray cover.

Replacing the shell holder is more cumbersome as you have to remove the handle apparatus to lower the tray enough to place the shell holder. No big deal but a bit different.

The unit has a little elevator that brings up a primer off the tray and separates it from all the other primers. I guess this is so if one goes off the whole tray doesn't get lit up. My first though upon seeing this was that there would be primers all over the place as it didn't look like after the primer hit the elevator that it would stay in place to then be delivered on the next squeeze.

I was pleasantly surprised. This thing works really well. Much better leverage with the new handle and a far smoother experience. My inital thoughts on the elevator mechanism were wrong. Primers were elevated off the tray and stayed in place until the next squeeze when it was seated.

Much better system than the old one. Will most likely purchase another one so I can have one set up for SP and another for LP.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
This is my first hand priming tool, so here's my take (compared to the press mounted version).

It's definitely faster than the Ram Prime. I can do a couple hundred cases in an hour.

I do find that a two-thumb approach works best as some cases are tighter than others, so a good firm seat takes some leverage.

The elevator doodad works pretty well but several times a primer will jump out and I have to go searching on the floor. Don't jostle this thing!

I don't trust it to orient the primer upright in the ram. 99% of the time it seats them properly, but I did have a couple seated upside down, so now I have a look before sliding the case in the holder. They were all upright in the tray before I closed the cover.

Bottom line, it's worth the money. Could use more leverage though, especially with the 30-06 brass I primed.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is my first hand priming tool, so here's my take (compared to the press mounted version).

It's definitely faster than the Ram Prime. I can do a couple hundred cases in an hour.

I do find that a two-thumb approach works best as some cases are tighter than others, so a good firm seat takes some leverage.

The elevator doodad works pretty well but several times a primer will jump out and I have to go searching on the floor. Don't jostle this thing!

I don't trust it to orient the primer upright in the ram. 99% of the time it seats them properly, but I did have a couple seated upside down, so now I have a look before sliding the case in the holder. They were all upright in the tray before I closed the cover.

Bottom line, it's worth the money. Could use more leverage though, especially with the 30-06 brass I primed.
I found snapping the cover on will sometimes flip a primer too. I need to try it with LP's to get a real good deal. Largest case I prime is 308 so that would be a good test.

Good Cards game today eh?

·
Registered
14,520 Posts
THe trick is to jostle it when the handle is squeezed (ie ram has seater the primer). That keeps the primers flowing into the area for the ram to pick them up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts