close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

REVIEW: Brommeland Max Con V for G26

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by beforeobamabans, Feb 6, 2010.

1. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

I needed a new IWB for my G26 which I intend to become my new EDC. I have tried a variety of holsters in the past from makers such as DeSantis, SideGuardHolsters, Crossbreed and High Noon. However, I had never ventured into the world of the super-premium, $100+ custom builders. Since I intend for this combination to be my EDC for a long time to come, I determined to spend whatever it took to get the best possible holster for my G26. After investigating several brands, I was lead to Brommeland based on good experiences by other GT members. It turns out the owner and leathersmith, Gary Brommeland, is a GT member.

We struck up a PM conversation where Gary patiently answered all my questions about his product and how it compares to some of his premium contemporaries. It was clear from this exchange that Gary knows his business and that he takes tremendous pride in his product which he still hand crafts himself. If you read through http://www.brommelandgunleather.com/products.htm, you will find that the themes of Gary's work are: use the best materials available, apply state-of-the-art craftsmanship, assemble innovative designs aimed at maximum concealment with superior functionality. I am happy to report that my Max Con V fulfills all of these objectives.

I don't know what Mr. Brommeland's normal leadtime is, but I think I caught a big break. Gary told me via PM to call him if I was ready to place my order because he was cutting leather for a batch of Glock orders the next day and he would include mine thereby eliminating the leadtime and getting me a holster within 30 days. Now mind you, this was the Sunday after Christmas which tells you something about Gary's work ethic. Gary makes two "grades" of this holster: the Service Grade and Presentation Grade. You can read the details of the differences on his website but essentially PG gets you an extra $30 worth of labor put into the boning process. I decided to get his best effort and ordered the PG, right-handed, 1.5" loops in black, the only color available.

Throughout this entire process, the customer service provided directly by Mr. Brommeland was very professional and in much greater depth and detail than expected. I'm sure he is a very busy man who would no doubt rather be working on holsters than teaching me about leather and holster design. This was definitely value added!

The holster arrived on my doorstep, as promised, on January 25. My initial reaction was, this is one beautiful holster! I remember another GT member describing it as looking like the leather was "poured onto the gun". As you examine the smooth glossy finish, the detailed boning, the brass one-way snaps and the exquisite edge treatment that makes two plies of leather look like one solid piece, you know you are holding something special. I'm sure my cell phone pics don't do it justice.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next step: break-in. Brommeland provides very good directions on break-in that start with wrapping your gun in two layers of wax paper, inserting the gun, then letting it sit overnight. The next day, you are instructed to do several draws with the wax paper still on the gun, then finally, more draws without the wax paper. This break-in procedure works like a charm. The gun was drawing like a champ with firm retention after this short procedure.

Next step--let's finally try this baby on! One nice advantage to the slick finish and slim profile of this holster is that you can slide it under your belt without loosening it. This makes it much easier to put on than other IWBs. Brommeland advises a two week break-in and I would suggest that any new customer be sure to use at least this length of time before passing judgment on comfort. In all honesty, I initially struggled trying to find the best spot to wear this holster. The unique "tail fin" which adds some desirable functionality (see website for details) makes the Max Con V a little different from your average holster in the fit department.

View from front. Note the slender profile and curvature in the tail fin. Also, if you can see it in these pics, note the gorgeous edge detailing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The curvature molded into the tail fin makes it want to find a specific place on your anatomy as it wants to wrap around the top of your gluteous. Gary describes the sweet spot as "in the hollow above the kidney and below the ribcage" and advises that this will be between 4:00-5:00. There is a good picture of this location on his website. It took me a little while to find the optimum spot but, for me, that ended up being at 4:15. In this position, the holster and gun are hugging my side tightly. The exaggerated cant (24 degrees instead of the typical 15 degrees) places the grip in perfect position for draw from this slightly rearward position. Again, I'll state how important the break-in period is in order to get comfortable. I wore it about 40 hours before I was completely comfortable, including a 14 hour day where I completely forgot I was wearing it. I noticed a big difference between a cold holster (about 60 degrees in my safe) and one warmed to body temperature an hour or so after wearing.

The G26 in this holster conceals superbly. I'm a golfer, so I'm fond of wearing golf shirts covered by a windshirt in three seasons. If you're not familiar with windshirts, they are pretty thin and easy to print through. This combo is completely and confidently concealed with this type of cover. The rig is very slender. So with the gun up tight against my side, it is virtually undetectable underneath any light overgarment. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm confident it will conceal easily under a T-shirt in warmer weather.

In summary, I couldn't be happier with the quality and functionality of the Max Con V. It is truly a shame that no one but me will ever see it. The individual attention I received from the owner and maker is as welcome as it is unusual in this day and age. While Brommeland gets a premium for his work, it is important to recognize that there is value here. He claims to have personally made approximately 20,000 holsters. The product Gary is putting out today testifies to such experience. I am pleased to offer my strongest recommendation for Brommeland Gunleather. My G26 has found a permanent home.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  2. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

Nice write-up! Gary does amazing work. That odd looking "tail" adds more comfort and stability than you can imagine.

3. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

Thanks. The tail is clearly a unique design of Gary's. If you're new to his holsters, it takes a little getting used to because you've never worn anything like it. I'm glad to see that it works for you too.

Here is how the website describes it:
    "This holster is VERY comfortable, especially for extended wear. It’s flat, broad profile works like a snowshoe, spreading the weight across a large enough area to prevent the weapon from “digging” into the body. Each and every curve serves a particular function, avoiding nerve “pressure points” and making it very anatomically compatible with the muscle groups of the hip and thigh area. The result is a holster that feels like it looks - like there is nothing there at all."

4. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

Very nice review! I'll go check out the website. Do they make a tuckable holster? That one doesn't appear to be of the tuckable variety. Due to where I live (S.Florida) and how I dress for work every day, I need a tuckable holster for most days of the week.

5. up1911fan

up1911fan

6. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

Thanks 1911fan. This holster would look great wrapped around an Ed Brown custom.

7. Officer's Match

Officer's Match S.R.D. v

Very true. My Kobra Carry is quite comfy in this one (even though its for a full govt. model) when the Springfield Customshop and the Delta Elite are in the safe:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I agree about the amazing quality of the edges.

8. dakrat

dakrat

very nice review. thanks for sharing. when I was looking for one, the wait was aweful long and the ones in the store are around $200+ for a presentation grade. so I went with this one for $80 bucks and for about a week :)
    [​IMG]

9. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Outstanding review!
    I'm glad the Brommeland worked out for you. Nice tip on the
    4:15 location. Gary is an outstanding person and very "down to earth"
    His attention to detail is greater than those "seven month wait" holster manufacturers.

10. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

Man, I'm just going to have to get a 1911. I love the look of that gun in this holster!

11. Officer's Match

Officer's Match S.R.D. v

Looks great! What is it?

12. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

I notice the holsters for the full size do not have the tail and are open.

13. dakrat

dakrat

Desbiens gunleather

14. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

It's a blatant copy.

15. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

beforeobamabans,

You have convinced me to give the Max-Con V another shot.
    Getting one for my G19,.....I'll try the 4:30 holster position and see how it goes.
    More to follow. :supergrin:

16. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

I'll be interested to hear what kind of leadtime you are quoted.

Post Script to my review:

When I wrote this review, I had been wearing the holster with my 1.25" Beltman because I didn't have a 1.5". I ordered a 1.5" horse about the same time I ordered the holster but it took 46 days to get it. LOL, when I told Gary B. that he about had a fit and told me in no uncertain terms to never wear his holster with an undersized belt. This was no doubt contributing to my difficulty finding the 'sweet spot'. Well, the new belt has arrived. The holster is really locked into position now, completely secure and stays right where you want it. It never occurred to me that the quarter inch wider belt would be that big of a deal, but it is. Live and learn.

17. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

The BIG gun shop in this area carries these but they never have any G19 ones in stock. They run about $140 in store.

18. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

I found a gently used one.

Belts make a HUGE differance! Loove my Looper Leater, Beltman and Wilderness!

19. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

You don't like to wait, do you? Let us know how it works with your G19. Does it still have the tail fin like mine?

20. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

A like new Service Grade for $100 shipped?
    How could I go wrong?

Yes,....it has the tail fin, pics and review early in the week