close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Returning a HDD to Seagate or Maxtor

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by sig232_guy, Feb 19, 2006.

1. sig232_guy

sig232_guy

I have a 160 GB SATA hard drive go bad on me, that is under warranty with Seagate.

I have nothing illegal on the drive, but tons of personal information. I have scans of my bank statements, financial records, receipts, and pay check stubs on there.

Do I have any assurances they are discrete with personal information? For example, verifing it's bad and then destroy it? Or do they browse throgh the files trying to recover data?

Have there evr been cases of ID theft from such a return?

It seems like a big risk for a $100 drive, but nobody ever plans for their drive to go bad and delete that information.

2. Brass Nazi

Brass Nazi NO BRASS FOR U!

Is you r drive completley dead? Severl utilities, Symantec GDISK comes to mind, can do a goverment level format that is susposed to ensure that the data can not be recovered. But, I have heard that there are utilities that may still be able to recover the data. A hard drive can be "analyzed" in a labratory to recover data as long as the hard drive is still intact. The problem is that data is stored as a charge. The polarity of the charge determines the polarity of the data. When you overwrite the data with a new charge there is a residual charge that prevents the new charge from reaching it's potential. This is hard to put into words but is really quite simple. If you have a 1 stored at a charge level of 100%. The data was erased/changed to a 0. The drive will not be at 0% it may be at 0.001% Even though this is a miniscule charge, it is still there and can be retrieved in a labratory envioroment. I do notn think that a company would try to harm one of it's customers in any way. I work for a company that makes SBCs. When a SBC is returned for failure analysis we sometimes see what would be considered confidential data (business records and such). When I see this type of stuf I just dismiss it. It is not important for me to do my job. It is just not a proffesional thing to do to be snooping through peoples stuff. It would be like a mechanic going through your personal belongings that you left i your car.

3. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Shoot holes through the platters before you send it back.

4. njl

njl

I think that'll void the warranty.

5. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Just tell 'em it was that way when you got it. ;f