close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

retrieving photos from old computer

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by rfb45colt, Jan 23, 2010.

1. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker

First, let me say that I'm pretty much computer illiterate, and need some help.

I have some important photos stored in the memory of my old, Windows 95, computer, that I'd very much like to "retrieve" and have prints made (the photos are of my dog, which passed away yesterday). It doesn't have a CD burner... the CD drive doesn't work at all... one of the reasons we replaced it. It only has the capability to download to those obsolete discs). My current computer, Compaq Presario, does have CD burn capabilities and runs on Windows XP Home. I also have a IBM Think Pad laptop operating on XP Business.

My daughter suggested hooking the old computer up to my DSL connection and e-mailing them to her. Then after putting this newer computer back on the DSL modem, she'd e-mail them back to me. Once I have them in THIS computer, I'm home free. Problem is, I'm not sure if that older Windows 95 will work on my DSL connection (which I did not have when using that old computer... I was still on dial-up back then).

I don't have a clue as to how to set up a home "network" and transfer data from one directly to another. Is there an easy way for a computer imbecile like myself to do this, or should I try to find someone local who knows what they're doing?

2. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

If you put the computer on your network the emailing back and forth is just a waste of time since you can just copy them to the other computer.

You have a few options. Can turn the computer back on and network it and copy it that way. But it sounds like you'll have to be walked through on doing that. And this is dependent on the older computer having a network card in it. Short of that you'd have to stick a card in it or use a USB wireless adapter (although USB was iffy on Windows 95).

Another option is, depending on the age of the newer computer, you can take the drive out of the old one and stick it in the newer one and slave it (will appear as a second hard disk). This might not be doable if the newer computer uses a SATA connection for the drives as opposed to IDE.

Third option is to take the drive out of the older computer, get yourself an enclosure with an IDE or PATA connection for $20 to $40 and stick the drive into that and plug it into a USB port. When done you can format the drive and use it as a drive for backups or something.

3. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker

Problem solved. A friend has a computer with both a 3.5 floppy drive and a CD burner. I loaded all my pictures onto floppies, and he put them on CDs for me. :cool:

4. MavsX

MavsX The Dude Abides

oh man. must be some low res. pics if you can fit them on floppies!

i'm glad you got everything sorted out okay.

5. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

USB port on computer ? .... Thumbdrive memory stick ?

6. MavsX

MavsX The Dude Abides

that's actually what i was thinking...who knows

7. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

Forgot about those, but USB was iffy on Windows 95. I don't think they finally got the kinks worked out until Windows 98. Heck, some devices wouldn't even try to (or let you) install the driver if it saw you were on 95.

8. Linux3

Linux3

Forget it. USB didn't work on Windows till 98SE.
    At work some color scientists have a system with Win98. It has a densitometer connected via a very old scsi card and some custom software. The users would scan film and then process the files and burn them out to CD.
    The CD died and they really, really needed to get their images out right now. Major corporation, takes a week and a half to get the paperwork through to buy a new drive. If a new one would work with such an old system.

I booted the system with a Ubuntu disk and mounted the c: drive.
    The USB worked fine with Ubuntu so I just wrote the images out to a flash drive.

I was kind of proud of the fix.

9. MavsX

MavsX The Dude Abides

nice job man. those live cd's are awesome. I use gparted alot. It's pretty damn cool.

10. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

Close, Win95 OSR2 came with USB support, said so right on the install disk. It also had FAT32 and DMA which were huge reasons to upgrade.

11. Linux3

Linux3