Retrieving Brass

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by DonD, Feb 18, 2020.

1. DonD

DonD

I have a brand new Ruger SR1911 in 10mm. I like the gun and am certainly happy I bought it.

As factory 10mm is absurdly expensive compared to say 9mm, I will be reloading and have the first test batch ready to try this coming Monday.

The downside is that regardless if the ammo is mild Winchester like I shot Thursday, or hot Underwood, the gun flings the brass quite a ways away.

Range is usually littered with brass as well as junk steel 7.62x39 cases, making finding your stuff difficult. At a glance, 10mm can "hide" among the 9mm.

Anyone have an innovative way to collect the brass? I certainly don't want some jerry rigged monstrosity hanging off the right side of the gun. Thanks, Don

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    Valmet likes this.
  2. Snoopy47

Snoopy47

Target and Bulls Eye shooters have nets they stand on the right side of the gun.

Now, you have to be religiously consistent with your shooting position, which is fine for bulls eye.

3. DonD

DonD

Do you have a source for these nets you can point me to? The idea of a net was one I'd thought of but sourcing the parts might be a PITA. Right now, a picnic table cloth with the felt side up is my option but it's not optimal. Thanks, Don

Edited to add that I did see some options most of which mounted on a Picatinny rail or similar, one was free standing. Don

4. ak103k

ak103k

I move around to much when I shoot, so tarps, nets, ect, just dont work.

I do have a couple of brass catchers for my AR's that work well and you dont really even notice them on the gun while you shoot. Havent seen anything like that for handguns though.

I always mark the base of my ammo with an odd color marker stripe. Old habit from my rifle match shooting days and easily done. I can always tell what brass was mine, at a glace, as long as I can see the base.

The thing I used to do at a couple of indoor ranges, was to pick up "everything" near me, and sort through it at home. I shoot a number of calibers, and Im always scrounging brass that I might be able to use, and not necessarily the ammo Im shooting in the moment. Free brass is free brass. :)

Except for maybe a new caliber I didnt have before, I havent paid for any new or once fired brass for a long time now.

And as much as I rotate through old, worn-out old brass I shoot and load on a weekly basis,
    constantly picking up anything and everything I see on the ground, has kept me pretty well supplied across the board.

The only brass I dont scrounge, is rifle brass I dont know the history of.

Ross-in-Pa likes this.
  5. DonD

DonD

Perhaps a Magic Marker spot would help with ID'ing what is mine.

I don't understand being relucatant to pick up rifle brass but not pistol. Same issue applies. I have no knowledge of what the handgun brass has gone through, incompetent handloading, overcharge pressure wise etc. I very rarely pick up anything. Each to his/her own. Don

6. ak103k

ak103k

Rifle brass has a limited life and needs to be tracked by lots.

If I know its really once fired (you can usually tell by looking at the primers, but not always) I dont have a problem with it, but usually when rifle brass is left or discarded, and you know its been reloaded, its there for a reason.

Pistol brass can normally be shot to failure, and thats a good number of reloads.

orangejeep06 and FullClip like this.
  7. hardluk1

hardluk1

When I visit a outdoor range I collect all brass left behind . Over time even 22lr brass adds up and sells well for scrap . I'm not a stand in one place kind of shooter and I tried the net trap thing but find when shooting at multiple target or moving a nets worthless . I do use a firearm mounted collector on my AR .

I bought a brass collecting roller , it is far from the cheapest but after buying trying and then returning a Caldwell model to midway usa I ordered a Brass Mower model that picks up 22lr and up and used it for about 9 years . I also have a shell sorter kit since I load for 6 cartridges . Random unknown brass goes into a scrap bucket to be sold yearly . These paid for them self purdy quickly .

Pistol brass - You will learn to read your the brass for wear too . I've collect some range brass that has been reloaded so many times the brand name is hard to read . to the . Scrap bucket . Some that look good , like once fired and my fill a need for you down the road or a friend .

8. Snoopy47

Snoopy47

9. Snoopy47

Snoopy47

Funny you mention that. You don't want a BRASS catcher from a GUN STORE

What you want is a WALNUT picker from a gardening store. It's the EXACT same thing with a different sticker on it, and priced as such.

Valmet, ak103k and FullClip like this.
  10. ak103k

ak103k

How well do those things work in mowed (fairly close)grass?

11. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

There are a number of products on the market designed to stripe brass, generally via magic markers. If you're not shooting a ton of volume in one place, but the problem is more about being able to differentiate your brass from a distance after shooting with others in several positions, something like this might be helpful.

It's not going to physically pick up the brass for you, but striped cases are pretty easy to see.

View: https://youtu.be/GRBLJ84f9zQ

12. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

Excellent idea- I know what I’m buying this weekend.

13. hardluk1

hardluk1

snoppy47 Walnut picker !!?? Maybe but I find them far to space between the ribs large and the basket to round but I sure that's were the idea came from . I found the Brass Mower works fine but in my back yard range that on a mower grass back yard You do have to collect brass that's sort lay'n in the same directions as the ribs in the " mower " so some times "mowing " again 90* to the first pass collects what you missed the first time that you never saw too . At the range the 22lr and larger version may collect some gravel too but not a big deal to me when I misses few brass .
    http://www.brassmower.com/

14. ak103k

ak103k

I mostly shoot on a mowed grass range, and walk two, 90 degree grids when Im done. I know how many rounds I shot, and just keep count as I pick them up. Doesnt take very long, and I usually end up with more than I came with. Sometimes, a lot more.

Once summer rolls around, it becomes a little more difficult, especially if they dont cut the grass every week, but they are pretty good about that.

I told them Id throw $100 into a "greens/tees" mower fund, and do the cutting too, but they just look at me like Im crazy. :p

15. edellson

edellson

I have found it easier just to sweep up all floor brass near me and separate later.

16. DonD

DonD

I'm sure the brass retriever with the watermellon shaped bundle of ribs would would work very well if your brass is the only thing on the ground but with all the junk "brass" like steel case 7.62x39 and tons of .223/5.56mm lying around as well as 9mm, .357, .38 SPL and 45ACP I'd just be cleaning the range for the owner.

I appreciate all the ideas, seems to me that a magic marker would be a good idea to catch your eye with. Thanks, Don

17. phonejack

phonejack

I’ve watched an old man at my range lay a tarp on the concrete floor beside him. The brass didn’t bounce when it hit the tarp. When he got thru he picked up the corners and funneled the brass into a bucket he had brought with him.

18. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Bullseye shooters use these:
    [​IMG]

But bullseye shooters also have their gun in the same spot and very still for every shot. Obviously won't work if you are moving around.

19. Truth&Balance

Truth&Balance

If there is room for it a small tarp or blanket on the ground.

20. hardluk1

hardluk1

dond You can be some what selective with what a brass mower picks up but that is on YOU ..

But you do have to option of staying more flexible by bending over and collecting brass the old fashioned way ! Maybe try the tarp thing .

FullClip likes this.