close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Retirement isn't a right

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by devildog2067, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

I am trying to remember a saying that goes something like this – “A young man should not be concerned with an old man’s troubles otherwise the old man will suck the youth out of him.”

I do not agree with it but the way our SS pyramid scheme is set up the old suck the financial life out of the young.

SS started out as a 1% income tax retirement supplement FDR did not approve of, and became a monster.

Now we have the right to free medical treatment; doctors as slaves. It goes on and on.

2. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

3. Detectorist

Detectorist

Lots of hypocrites on here. How many of you actually think you are 'paying' your own way in taxes?

I can guarantee that only the top 5%(give or take) of wage earners pay their own way.

4. Ragnar

Ragnar

I enlisted in 1982. My contract doesn't say I'll get free medical for life. Do you have one that does?

5. arclight610

arclight610

I 100% agree with your entire post. All of these things that people have come to take for granted are relatively new concepts.

6. Shinytop

Shinytop

I did not say it was in a contract.

7. Ragnar

Ragnar

Then point it out in federal law. The recruiter doesn't count.

8. Averageman

Averageman

Well I would agree with you, but I do pay taxes, my Military retirement gets kicked in the nuts with taxes.
    Working in the defence industry I bust my keister to keep cost down as low as I can as it helps you and keeps me employed.
    While the 5% were going to school I was running patrols on the German border and going off to every global hot spot you asked me to.
    Where were those guys when we needed some "heavy lifting"?
    So I may not pay as much in Tax as you do, but if not for me and millions like me where would the 5% be?

9. fwm

fwm

I am in the group of those that has payed more into SS than I will ever get back, so, yes, I feel I deserve it.

10. Dukeboy01

Dukeboy01 Pretty Ladies!

True that. Lot of complaining about all the "deadbeats" and lazy, greedy old folks on Social Security, yet the vast majority will still want their fair share when they get old, wrinkly, and gross. They still want their mommys and daddys to get their fair share now so that they don't have to put off buying a new jet ski to pay for their parents' medications.

Here's a link to a poll from last year's budget showdown (11/2011) in which 76% of self- identified Tea Party enthusiasts said that cuts to Social Security and Medicare should be off the table.

http://maristpoll.marist.edu/wp-con...ment_Cuts to Social Security and Medicare.htm

I'm going to go look for a newer poll, but I doubt the numbers have moved that much.

We are not a serious people.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  11. Averageman

Averageman

I think this is going sideways a bit, but..
    You sell a Man a bill of goods and he puts his butt on the line for you, everything you said when you asked him to re-up is an implied contract.

12. Shinytop

Shinytop

Actually when the case went to court many were awarded that which was promised. I believe the man spearheading the case was a LTC Day, Air Force type. But the court did specify a retirement or an entry date, I forget which. All others were left with Tricare.

When I entered the military we were told we would have free medical care and I know it was in lesson plans for retirement for many years. You can pull your contract all day, it does not change that.

13. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

Who’s the hypocrite? We are talking about SS not income tax.

It is the Government pretending it is a separate tax for retirement. Maybe they need to merge it into the income tax or call it a welfare or SSI tax.

14. Shinytop

Shinytop

True that unless it is the government reneging on the spoken contract. They will just say the person did have the right ...

15. Averageman

Averageman

Other than putting the elderly and infirm out on the ice flow and the tribe walking away from them fixing Social Security would seem to be a good idea.
    What would you suggest at this point as an alternative?

16. Detectorist

Detectorist

US Military are the exception, of course.

17. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

And that is the evil of it.

Everyone has friends and relatives on SS and no one wants them to suffer so we are stuck with it until it collapses and it will.

Same with free healthcare; you will be paying taxes for the healthcare of 3 other people and then you will have to pay cash directly to a doctor/hospital to get proper care for yourself.

18. SpoiledBySig

SpoiledBySig Millennium Member

True. Social Security was never meant for sole solid retirement (it still isn't). Social Security was meant to supplement one's retirement income. Many people live on Social Security itself and it was never meant to be that way.

I have been retired from a city police department since 2004 and I receive a decent retirement from the city after 20 years of police service. It's not much for the way I live and that's why I began working at another police agency since 2005. I know and realize that even though the city honored a contract...if that city goes broke, then there's a likely chance my retirement payments could disappear (don't like it, but that's the way things work). Nothing is, "Rock Solid". In the meantime, during all my work years and even now I have invested in a 401K retirement plans.

Retirement is great...but it sure isn't a right. Just one man's opinion.

19. Detectorist

Detectorist

You can get free care at any VA medical facility.

20. Restless28

Restless28

Why are so many people who waive the freedom
    and liberty flag so concerned with another man's retirement?