Rethinking the Snubbie

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Out West, Nov 5, 2019.

1. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Some people say that a G26 is too big for pocket carry. Others can do it.

The secret is to cut a small hole in the bottom of your pocket so the mag pokes through along side your leg, but still easily concealed under summer shorts and a t--shirt :)

John_AZ likes this.
  2. fredj338

fredj338

Well exactly. All those that tote a 5 shot think they know what there fight will be. The carry for convenience, not for a fight, IMHO. Toss it in a pocket, from which most have never practiced, to go to the grocery but think the should "gun up" when traveling late at night into some unknown. I don't see the rational is all. Either you feel you need a gun or you don't. The half way crowd always leaves me thinking they must have a crystal ball or such.
    I get it, it's a measured response. I know guys that tote full size pistols with 2 spare mags & a long gun in the trunk. That is probably the extreme. More power to anyone's choice, just not mine.

Terry G likes this.

3. fredj338

fredj338

But so many feel 5 is enough? You are way over gunned.:cheers:

4. OttoLoader

OttoLoader

Actually the only place I am under gunned is in no carry places such as California. Either as a Santa Cruz County resident (no issue county) or as a visitor. Because I cannot legally carry.

Some folk just cannot accept the fact that as a law abiding conceal carrier, there are places that it is not feaseable to carry a larger handgun even such as a Glock 26.

Say summer in very hot and humid weather or others.

Also it is prudent to carry a full size handgun in your automobile if you travel cross country on the interstate or other locations .

Funny though in my experience the only time I had any problems on a public road was in the summer of 99 visiting Bodie State Park in California.

Rural area 50 miles from town.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  5. The Hawk

The Hawk

I started in law enforcement carrying a revolver (.357). Our dept. switched to .40 Glocks several years later. Now that I am retired, I find myself carrying my S&W .38 air weight with a speed strip for reloading. While that may not be enough in some cases, I feel that it will do. I still have my .40 Glock with a couple extra mags for home defense.

rayzer007, fastbolt, Out West and 2 others like this.
  6. alank2

alank2

Everyone will wish they had the full size platform with 20 rounds if thing go bad, but one will have what one has. Given that, it depends on what you are willing to carry. If you are willing to carry that full size around day in and day out, great, if not then it is all a bunch of trade offs for capability vs. convenience. I'm not sure that trade off has any hard edges where one point is good and other is not good. 5 rounds is 5 more rounds than 0 rounds. Carry the most than you find workable, but carry something.

7. Mister X

Mister X

In a ranged gunfight(unlikely for civilians), I’d want to be carrying something like a Glock 17. For a very close or contact defense scenario(likely for civilians) involving unarmed attackers, attackers armed with contact weapons(knives, bludgeons) or even with a firearm, I’d want a snub, maybe even two.

pairof44sp and E.Bar like this.
  8. John Watson

John Watson

The ugly green LCR 38 is in my pocket most of the time with two speed strips in the other pocket. Quit carrying the LCP 380 when I got the revolver. 20191108_162650.jpg

mikey357, kahrcarrier, RVER and 4 others like this.
  9. hannstv

hannstv

Actually old Jack used a Colt.

mikey357 likes this.
  10. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

I've never been comfortable with my skill level with a snub. 5 rounds is debateable as to whether or not that is enough but combined with the fact that I shoot semi-autos so much better, snubs are out for me. The 365 solves both the capacity and shootability questions in a form factor roughly the same, if not smaller.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    1smoothredneck and fredj338 like this.
  11. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Yeah and he's very lucky they were A) so close, and B) did not fight back or Goetz would have been in serious trouble.

Goetz said, "If I had more bullets, I would have shot 'em all again and again. My problem was I ran out of bullets."

12. alank2

alank2

One of the reasons I wanted a snub again is the simplicity. I trust the mechanism and if I have to drive through states that don't support CCL, I know I can easily unload it by swinging the cylinder open and dropping out the rounds. The same in reverse, I can easily load it by dropping the rounds in without having to actuate the slide. I also like that I can dry fire it, see the firing pin extend, release the cylinder and know that the hammer is locked out of place with the rebound slide. For a trip and places where you can't afford a ND or slamfire I think the revo has some advantages.

mikey357 and ithaca_deerslayer like this.
  13. fredj338

fredj338

Always better lucky than good.

14. fredj338

fredj338

I cant even follow your thought process. Loading & unloading anything is just a simple process. Open cyl, insert rds & close, place mag, run the slide, same thing, sane amount of time. Unload is the same. Sure if your are an idiot & forget to unchamber after dropping the mag, you probably shouldnt carry any gun.
    I have never had a ND or slam fire I 100s of 1000s of rds so that doesnt register with me either. Could it happen, sure, why we follow safety precautions. Just not a serious reason to preger revo over semi imo.

glock1097 likes this.
  15. CAMSDADDY

CAMSDADDY

The only difference I could see would the revolver round will not experience set back from being loaded and unloaded multiple times.

16. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

A lot of experienced shooters overlook this. They are Navy Seals or at least Walmart Isle 6 operators, so there's no question of their safe gun handling ability.

But for some others, there are a few too many accidental/negligent discharges related to the operation of a semi-auto.

When I (and many others) teach gun safety, I emphasize to remove the source of ammunition (the magazine), then clear the chamber.

Lots of people get that sequence wrong on a semi-auto. Even people who should know better. Maybe because tired or distracted, they sometimes clear the chamber then remove the magazine. Which sets up a potential BANG if the trigger is pulled for whatever reason.

Whereas with a swing out cylinder revolver, it is simpler to open the cylinder and see if the gun is empty.

JMag and alank2 like this.
  17. cumquat

cumquat

What is the recoil like out of the LCR 38 sp with Underwood 150 gr full wadcutters?

18. alank2

alank2

There are places where having a slam fire or having to operate a slide is more risk than I want to take. A hotel room comes to mind. When traveling, having to unload your pistol before you get into a state that would be very unforgiving of an ND by the side of the road while you try to load/unload a pistol in your trunk without others seeing what you are doing.

19. R9S19

R9S19

I’ve been carrying this thing all day. Sometimes the advantage of how light it is makes a difference. It’s either that, my Shield 9mm, or my G19 Gen 4. The Glock gets 99% of my carry time.
    02D1A6E3-3953-435B-9EE5-4817D5E72EA3.jpeg

kahrcarrier likes this.
  20. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

I agree with fredj, I don't even understand any of this.

First, since when do pistols slam fire? That's not even possible with most pistols (probably basically all modern pistols).

Second, most states that prohibit carrying a loaded firearm probably prohibit having even an unloaded firearm. But let's say a state prohibits carrying loaded. I can load a mag far faster than I can load a revolver. You think you can "drop rounds in" faster than inserting a mag and racking the slide?

Third, I trust all of my pistols. If I didn't I wouldn't own them. But more importantly I trust my ability with them more than any revolver with their heavy trigger and considerable recoil.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019