Rethinking the Snubbie

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Out West, Nov 5, 2019.

1. fredj338

fredj338

So then ya kinda do feel under gunned??:duel:

2. fredj338

fredj338

Cute, but with no opposing thumbs, coyote wins that one.:cheers:
    The avg person toting a snub never shoots it. So it really is a good feeling thing, like a rabbits foot. For the guy/gal that routinely runs their snub @ speed, from their pocket or other method of choice, they might be fine. As long as they don't have to reload or need that 6th shot to win their fight. I am sure FB is good to go.

ithaca_deerslayer likes this.

3. Wizzz

Wizzz

I used to be into short barreled revolvers until they started to lock up on me. Semis are just as reliable if maintained adequately. Semis are just as small with higher capacity.

I enjoy my revolvers but I rather have a semiautomatic for defensive reasons.

TheDreadnought likes this.
  4. fastbolt

fastbolt

That might easily be said about the "average" person who lawfully carries any handgun. ;)

There was briefly a time when I used to stop to consider whether my 3913 with its 8rd mag was a better option than my CS9 with its 7rd mag ... because of the extra round in each mag ... and whether both of those 9's were better options than my CS45 and 4513TSW with their 6rd mags. Then, there were my G26 & SW999c with their 10rd mags, or my G27 with its 9rd mags ... etc. The merry-go-round spun on.

I finally decided that the 5-shot snub was still the same as it ever was when I carried a 6-shot revolver on and off-duty, or my Commander (7+1 back then). It held 1-3 rounds less than my larger weapons, and required more of me in order to effectively shoot it.

Now, the only "hi-cap" pistol I presently own only uses 12rd mags, and my M&P 45FS uses 10rd mags. Sure, I acquired some factory plus mags for my G27 (stamped with the LE/Gov language from the days of the fed ban), and a G19 mag for my G26 (back when I could buy them with my peace officer exemption). I just seldom ever carried them, and haven't for a long time.

Now, I do regret not having ordered a late-production 6906 back when they were still available, as I really liked the issued ones I carried, and the extra 4 rounds (over the 3913) was an extra cushion against when reloading might be needed. I really liked that little 3.5" compact 3rd gen model. (Which is why I bought a 4013TSW when they were released, and hoped they'd eventually offer a 6906TSW.)

It's still about risk assessment, as well as risk mitigation in the form or practice and training.

Being able to put those first 1-3 rounds where they need to go is just as important whether you're carrying a gun loaded with 5-6 rounds, or one loaded with 16-18 rounds.

Some folks still seem to look for quantity (capacity) to make up for inattention to quality (skillset and practice).

Now, if I were going back to working uniform patrol I'd not consider wearing one of my 5-shot J's as a primary duty weapon. A secondary? Sure. You can save your life with 5 rounds. It's not like that's changed. ;)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    mikey357, n2g, Mtnfolk75 and 3 others like this.
  5. JimmyCat

JimmyCat

Not really for my everyday routine. I think breaking down in the middle of the night on a dark highway could present much different circumstances compared to running errands in the area I live in. I don't think relying on one gun for all possible situations is realistic. I doubt you only have 1 gun and it covers every scenario.

glock1097 and Out West like this.
  6. 686 AR15 G17Fan

686 AR15 G17Fan

Some people might keep coming at you but from what I've seen the overwhelming majority of people that get shot "they are going to do everything in their power to GET THE HELL AWAY FROM YOU"

Rellik and JimmyCat like this.
  7. fredj338

fredj338

I don't look at carrying a gun that way. If I feel I need a gun to go anywhere, then one place isn't likely safer than the next or necessarily more dangerous than the next. After all if I know it is dangerous I just shouldn't go there right.
    Its what I mean about rabbits foot. So you aren't worried about some whack job at the local gas station with a machete but worried you might be attacked by roaming bandits on the road IF you breakdown? When I decided to ccw I made that commitment to train with & practice with & carry something that I can win my fight with, one knife attacker or two thugs with AR15. Yes there are plenty of guns that can handle that broad swath of events by just carrying a spare mag.
    The oft used "1st rule is carry any gun" really isn't telling the whole story. If you really cant fight with it, just carrying it isn't likely to solve most of the potential attacks. I think far too many think you shoot the bad guy once & fight is over, or just show then the gun & fight never starts. There are far too many instances where that just hasn't proven to be true.

8. RVER

RVER

I think that many people have their winter / summer gun selection backwards... Winter is when the "hammerless" Snub rules because you can easily carry one in your coat pocket and have it gripped and pointed at a threat in a very low profile manner vs attempting to draw a larger gun from under layers of clothing... Summer is when a Glock 26 sized Semi carried IWB under a T shirt makes sense, although, the Snub also works then too.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Joe H and ithaca_deerslayer like this.
  9. fredj338

fredj338

Well I can fit a G26 in a coat pocket pretty easily. I know it will fire at least once, if not more from that pocket. I likely wouldn't walk around with my hand in my pocket on a gun all day, but to each his own.

10. collim1

collim1

Nothing wrong with carrying a snubby. Just because another gun holds more or weighs less or whatever.

I try to carry more most days, but I have relied on a five shot revolver for discreet carry for the last 15 years. I can carry it in anything. And like you said, sometimes the shape of the revolver is worth a lot more than the size or weight or capacity of another gun. The j frame just has smooth rounded lines that don’t print in an obvious gun shape.

11. OttoLoader

OttoLoader

Snub j frames fill a role, when it is not feasable to conceal anything larger.

There are times that I cannot conceal a G26 but can conceal a j frame.

As with any firearm if you depend on it you need to be able to have the necessary skill.

12. alank2

alank2

Pocket carry is my go to plan. I sold my 442 a long time ago and recently picked up another one because I missed it so much. I picked up a Desantis Nemesis for it, but the J-frame version is a bit wider/than I like. My Nemesis for PM9 is narrower. I may try to cut it a bit skinnier and sew it up where it gets cut. What I really want is another Kramer pocket holster like I used to have. My pocket carry plan could be 442, PM9, or G26 depending.

13. Pluto57

Pluto57

That's why I sometimes carry a Colt Agent or Detective Special - so I have that all important, fight winning sixth shot.

14. fredj338

fredj338

Or 7 or 8, oops

15. WT

WT Millennium Member

Appropriately applied, the snubby will work well.

New York City's premier civilian gunfighter, Bernie Goetz, took down 4 armed miscreants with 4 shots from his S&W Model 60 snubby … at bad breath range.

16. JimmyCat

JimmyCat

I carry my 442 in an Uncle Mikes #4. Not really very bulky and stays in my jeans pocket when I draw. First one I bought lasted about 10yrs+......recently bought a new one but could have continued to use the old one. Not bad for a $10 pocket holster.

17. Slackinoff

Slackinoff Bathed in lavender and gasoline

I went back to a jframe because of how convenient it is to carry. Also, I love the "look". Jframes are just badass.

20191108_111625.jpg

rayzer007, JimmyCat, Out West and 5 others like this.
  18. Biggy1

Biggy1

43X for me, I am not going to lose the fight or my life because I do not have enough bullets

fredj338 and ithaca_deerslayer like this.
  19. Pluto57

Pluto57

or 13 or 14 or 20 or 52.

Out West and ithaca_deerslayer like this.
  20. John_AZ

John_AZ