Rethinking the Snubbie

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Out West, Nov 5, 2019.

1. JimmyCat

JimmyCat

My 442 drops right into the pocket of my jeans and I never feel under gunned. Although, if I'm on a road trip I'll still have my 442 in my pocket but a 1911 in my counsel.
    DSCF1725.JPG

nursetim, Joe H, Slackinoff and 3 others like this.
  2. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

Whoa. That's some hard truth right there.

kahrcarrier, techiej, Terry G and 2 others like this.

3. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Difference between a rabbit's foot and a .38 snubby:
    -- rabbit's foot is what is leftover after being killed by a coyote
    -- .38 snubby is what kills the coyote.

If rabbits carried .38 snubbies, there'd be fewer coyotes.

mikey357, hannstv, Mtnfolk75 and 8 others like this.
  4. nursetim

nursetim

Pat Rogers (Rest In Peace) advocated carrying a full size, multi-round firearm, citing skells travel in packs (Maybe its a new york thing.) I’m going with Pat on this. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

fredj338 likes this.
  5. jbaav

jbaav

Lots of good choices out there for personal protection. For me a 442 in a pocket holster works the best on most days. I sometimes carry a 26 or original Walther PPS. Love all 3 of those guns. I bought an LCP II but can’t get confidence enough in it for carry. I agree with the guy above that said the only thing I need smaller than a 26 is the j-frame.

glock1097 and ithaca_deerslayer like this.
  6. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

Well here's the thing. . . you don't want to shoot somebody and have them still willing and able to come after you.

Once you've shot somebody, you've now altered that situation from a "they are threatening you and might be willing to kill you" to "they are going to do everything in their power to kill you if its the last thing they do."

That's the absolute worst time to be out of ammo. Always make sure you bring enough to finish things out - without reloading.

ithaca_deerslayer and fredj338 like this.
  7. GlockerBill

GlockerBill

great easy effective guns. but i just did not enjoy shooting my 438 as my hand would start shaking from the recoil after a couple of cylinders. Sold it and have not looked back.

Ted Smith likes this.
  8. JK-linux

JK-linux

I carried a 442 or 640 a lot in the past. Seems like once I got my hands on a G43 I didn't so much anymore. However, I do carry the 640 from time to time, usually when I'm in a hurry and just want to throw something in a pocket. It's great to have the option, and I love my wheel guns - probably more than my pistols.

mmcbeat and ithaca_deerslayer like this.
  9. SK2344

SK2344

I don't think to carry a Snub Nose Revolver is going as you say backwards but that is just my opinion. Like you, my first issue carry weapon was a S&W model 10 and I carried that weapon for 10 years with 2 speed loaders with confidence. After switching to the semi autos, I carried a Glock 19 with 2 spare mags as my duty weapon until I retired but having said this, I still love the Revolvers and I now carry a S&W model 638 in my daily rotation, along with my G 43 and Ruger LCP II. I carry these guns with confidence for self defense and I will be looking to purchase another Revolver in the near future!

ithaca_deerslayer and Terry G like this.
  10. MedicineBow

MedicineBow Formerly TFLWYO

No more J frames for me. I don't like shooting them and I don't shoot them well. My snubbie replacement is a Glock 42 with Ameriglo Agent sights and Lehigh Xtreme Penetrators. I view it as being at least as effective as a J frame loaded with wadcutters, accurate (including at distance), and FUN to shoot a lot. Loaded with 7 rounds, it weighs 16.2 ounces, or 17.8 in an Alabama pocket holster. I usually carry something larger as a primary, but I can make-do in a pinch with the 42. Here is a minimalist pocket dump without the 2 spare magazines.

IMG-0072.jpg

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    Slackinoff and ithaca_deerslayer like this.
  11. Critch

Critch

I know this discussion is more along the lines of J Frame Smiths, but I quite often carry a 3 inch GP-100. I carry it in a Bianchi Cyclone holster, generally with 38+Ps or 125 grain 357 Magnum. When I bought the gun it had those terrible looking hogue grips on it, I bought some nice Altamont's, but they're also too big, so I may invest in some of the Altamont compact grips.

I don't think I ever step out of the house thinking, "Do I have enough rounds on me." I'm not undergunned with the Ruger. If Glock made a revolver, I think it would look like a GP-100. I've nver been good at speed loading a revolver,so I practice..

I have lusted in my heart after some of those S&W 66s with the 2.75 inch barrel...boy they're nice, but it's hard to justify them when I own the Ruger.

Along with new grips I have considered bobbing the hammer on the Ruger...

12. pike bishop

pike bishop finishes it...

past week or so; switch out between it & pm9 for most part...[​IMG]

13. PatinAz

PatinAz

If you ever want to part with that 66, I'm just down the road near Tucson.

John_AZ likes this.
  14. Terry G

Terry G

I read about a week ago two experienced shooters who were so concerned about the size of their diminutive single stack 9MM's they used a MICROMETER to prove a point. Are you guy's for real? Choosing a carry gun because of a 1/8 th inch difference in height or width? I carry a CZ P-01 and a CZ 97B. OWB custom holsters conceal them enough for my needs. If I absolutely have to carry something smaller, an LCP in a pocket holster, but I feel like my zippers down the whole time.

glock1097 and fredj338 like this.
  15. Bradley T

Bradley T

Thanks for posting. I'm ordering one of those Lobo's.

Did have a j-frame stop one time; Was rapid recharging with speed loader and went to re-latch the cylinder and it wouldn't shut. One cartridge was oversized at the bullet end and wouldn't fully chamber. Only "jam" I ever had.

16. teeuu

teeuu Silver Member

I affectionately call my snubbies (J-frame & Colt cobra) "Old man's guns".
    post.jpg

17. DocPoison

DocPoison

4F986653-20E3-4918-AD10-932A2AA3ECD9.jpeg Colt cobra, currently serving as my truck gun. I would carry it if I could find a better grip for it.

18. fastbolt

fastbolt

My 5-shot snubs have always served a role for me, even when I was becoming heavily invested in double stack and single stack compact and subcompact pistols. My first several snubs were steel framed snubs because ... well, steel.

It wasn't until I'd ordered my first 642-1 Airweight on a whim that I realized I'd been missing out on a viable off-duty option. Now I own a pair of 642-1's, a pair of M&P 340's and a somewhat unique (limited production run) 37-2DAO.

While I became heavily invested in some compact and subcompact 9's, .40's and .45's for several years, the diminutive 5-shot snub was still an attraction option when I needed something smaller and lighter than a belt gun. I invested quite a lot of range time shooting them, unlike some of my fellow firearms instructors who owned and carried them, but didn't bring them to the range very much.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My J's remain one of my common retirement choices when I'm wearing pants with pockets large enough to accommodate one and I don't feel like wearing a belt gun.

Sure, my CS9, 3913, G26/27 or one of my several other smallish pistols make great choices for belt guns, and I've made quite a bit of effort to wear them out over the years when working the range (and someone else was footing the ammo bill ;) ). The diminutive 5-shot snub still serves me well, though.

As far as them being a rabbit's foot? Well, having watched my fair share of both cops and private shooters come through range quals over the years I served as an instructor, I'd not rule out that a lot folks have seemed to treat their concealed handguns more as lucky charms than "working" guns. Lots of excuses for why they had to "warm up" before they could start getting good hits in some course-of-fire, or why couldn't find the time to practice with their guns between having to show up for range quals. Lucky charms ... or talismans.

Some folks like to argue that they're better "prepared" to face an unexpected dynamic and chaotic, life threatening situation due to the specific gear they select to own and carry. Gear choice can only take you so far. You've still got to be able to safely, smoothly, accurately and effectively use it.

It's not a rabbits foot lucky charm or a talisman to ward off evil ... no matter whether it's full-sized or very small, holds 18rds or 5rds before having to reload.

19. First shot

First shot

Op, you might be nuts but if you are, so am I...been carrying my 5 shot 38 j-frame more and more lately... Pretty sure my G26 feels abandoned...as I get older, the “you never know” factor seems to be diminishing like a lot of other things....lol...

20. fastbolt

fastbolt

Was it on the 2 bearing surfaces of the yoke?

One of our guys who carried a 340PD found his cylinder seemed to seize up and stop freely spinning during a qual course-of-fire. Instead of pointing it out to the instructor running the course, he said he turned the cylinder by hand as he pulled the trigger. Why? Because the trigger became too stiff to pull. :faint:

He brought it back to me after he was done with the course (since I was one of the couple of S&W revolver armorers). I checked it and found the trigger was incredibly stiff and the cylinder wouldn't spin, let alone freely. I removed the cylinder and yoke and found that his yoke was bone dry and had collected some nasty, dry fouling. I wiped off the fouling and put a couple drops of lube on the yoke's bearing surfaces. It spun like a top and the trigger was back to normal. I told him to go back out to the firing line and shoot the snub out on the course some more, just to confirm normal functioning to himself.

Now, he said that he carried that 340PD as a secondary and off-duty weapon for a few years, but he'd never thought to ask one of the armorers how to periodically clean and lube the yoke. I showed him how to do it and suggested he might check the cylinder's ability to spin freely now and again. ;)

FWIW, in my own snubs I've noticed that the steel yokes seem to retain lube better over time than the alloy yokes, which seem to become "drier" sooner with carry and range use.

Whenever one of my cylinders starts to seem like it doesn't spin as freely, I remove the cylinder and yoke, wipe off the yoke and reapply a small drop of lube to both "bearing" surfaces of the yoke. Naturally, in the aluminum and Scandium aluminum frames I take special care to make sure I don't over tighten the yoke steel screws in the aluminum frames.