close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rethinking my Glocks

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by gatorhugger, Apr 6, 2010.

1. gatorhugger

gatorhugger

This would be almost a troll thread, except it's done from experience.
    I used to think Glocks were the perfect pistol. If ever a gun was better designed for ease of use, and lack of maintenance, and reliability it would be my G19.
    I am rethinking that. Since my primary goal with pistols is reliability I would have to discount striker pistols in general. I have seen too many gunked up firing pin channels. I have seen limpwristing. I have seen cracked frames.
    Yes, this will come as a surprise but PLASTIC doesn't age well. If it's dropped and it's old it tends to crack. Seen it.

If I had ONE PISTOL for self defense, I am now leaning towards the Ruger P series or Smith 3rd generations, or Sigs. They are all metal, don't limp wrist, don't misfire, have exposed hammers, and in single action are as easy to shoot as a glock.
    Yes I think either a Ruger p89 or it's smaller scaled down brother, the P93 would be my ultimate gun if given one. Maybe a Smith 5906, 3913, or 6906.
    I think I just went full circle back to metal guns. They work, don't degrade, don't limp wrist and the aluminum alloy frames are not much heavier than a Nylon one.
    I still love my Glock 19. But I don't think it's the ultimate self defense gun anymore.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  2. chrisw

chrisw

My p89 has been awesome and I recommend them to people all the time that say, "maybe I should get a handgun for the house..." and don't have a very high budget. I have tried in every way possible to get my p89 to mess up in some way shape or form and it can't be done. Such a solid piece. I will buy more of them if I ever see a steal of a deal on one.

3. Markasaurus

Markasaurus

Some of the people here would regard that as down right blasphemy but i understand it. I have an older ruger p85, its a hunk of metal alright, never had a misfire in 13 years. However if you would have only one pistol i think i'd consider a beretta 92 or a sig, the rugers are less expensive and pretty reliable but not particularly accurate, the beretta would be much more accurate i think.

4. dhoomonyou

dhoomonyou

tagged
    this should be fun.

5. mikey777

mikey777

6. 17RTF2

17RTF2

what about H&K? they are extremely reliable

7. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

I hear you gatorhugger. I've only owned one Glock, and I'm not thrilled. I never owned an unreliable automatic pistol until my G20 - but I admit I may have just never bought any of the bad ones. Flamers can accuse me of limp wristing if they want to, (I have not been) but at least with (almost) every other gun out there, you CAN limp wrist, and it doesn't matter.

8. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

Can't argue with any of that. :supergrin:

9. PaulMason

PaulMason

I thought it was: Tagged, you're it.

10. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

P89 is a the Sherman tank of the gun world.
    Personally I would go P226 in 9mm,...an older one no Exeter model, but a REAL Sig Sauer.

11. PaulMason

PaulMason

So, what feedback are you looking for?

I think it would be great if you got some of those guns and posted some reviews.

12. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

There are plenty of choices for any kind of shooting you wish to do.

:cool:

13. drew4691

drew4691

I have a PM9 and have no problems. I like that little sucker ;)

14. capecodcowboy

capecodcowboy

15. glock19_fan

glock19_fan ... --- ...

16. Brent10mm

Brent10mm

pretty much sums it up....
    Glock... the ak-47 of the pistol world. :cool:

No handgun is perfect. all give up one thing for something else.

like your ruger 89, great gun, tank. actually built for the 10mm round. but a boat anchor, good luck packing that around as a CC. and accuracy, well, I shot one of those ruger 9's, and I'd need a couple mags to hit a beer can at a good distance, might have been me, I was young, and was new to the pistol game, but I didnt care for it.

H&K would be the better choice for end all pistol.
    or a S&W revolver, my 329PD 44 mag is very nice....

glock does everything exceptionally well, about as close to perfect as you can get in a true defensive handgun. ... hence...
    [​IMG]

17. GAFinch

GAFinch

I know where you're coming from. Just bought a CZ 75B and a 3rd gen Smith is going to be my next handgun purchase.

When I took the CZ out last weekend I limp wristed it a few times when I started getting tired. It still cycled fine, just ejected the shells straight back on my head.

18. gatorhugger

gatorhugger

Feedback I am looking for? none really. Just had a thought to share. Is this forum just for people looking for feedback or advice?
    BTW I own all the guns I mentioned. As well as the Glocks.

My point was I always put the Rugers and Smiths BEHIND the glocks.
    I saved my nicest gun case for my Glock. I ooohed and aahed in my head whenever the Glock came out to play.
    Now, not so much. I think I like the steel guns better. They never jam, they don't crack, the little bit of extra weight prevents limp wristing and Helps control recoil.
    So I was merely making a statement. Not seeking feedback but comments are welcome.:wavey:

19. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

20. .45Super-Man

.45Super-Man

You have to remember that plastic, from the beginning, was looked at as a low cost ALTERNATIVE to steel. Look at the difference in profit margins between an all steel pistol versus one with a polymer frame. If I'm a manufacturer, I WANT you to believe that polymer is the ultimate when I'm charging you just as much for plastic as steel! That said, the only poly pistols I have are my Steyrs.