Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a tangential follow up to the carjacking thread that I started a few days ago, it got me to thinking about this sort of situation and which firearm might be the most efficient in this type of situation. Here in the looney-land of Lori Lightweight and Jussie Smollet's favorite DA, where so much as exposing a weapon could be charged with brandishing I was thinking about something that could be a better defense in one of these lighting fast situations and perhaps in winter clothing a Glock would be too slow. Thinking out loud, a small pocket sized revolver seems like a possible solution.

As I watch the videos of carjackings I can see that this all goes down there is no time to think, let alone respond until the perp is in your face. And in Woke-ville you can't draw prematurely lest you be considered the "provocateur". I'd always thought that were I ever attacked I'd have time to see my assailant coming. I'm not thinking that any longer. So I was thinking, are there any advantages to a small, revolver to be carried in a pocket which could be fired through ta jacket pocket in a fast, close quarters encounter where there wasn't time to draw and possibly use the gun as a deterrent?

Any thoughts on pocket carry and/or which revolver (if any) I should be thinking about?

·
M&P
6,276 Posts
No way I’d carry a 5/6/7 shot revolver when there’s so many options that are thinner, nearly as light and carry double to triple the capacity with a quicker reload capability. Pocket carry would be ok, but maybe take it out while in the car.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No way I’d carry a 5/6/7 shot revolver when there’s so many options that are thinner, nearly as light and carry double to triple the capacity with a quicker reload capability. Pocket carry would be ok, but maybe take it out while in the car.
That's one thought. As I'm thinking about this a few years back I was buddies with one of our local cops who on days off had a "belt pack" (remember those?) with a quick access pocket. While I'm not going to go with a belt pack, I was wondering if there were backpacks that had quick access pockets so wouldn't have to have my pistol holstered under winter clothing?

I was just thinking that having a pistol that didn't have a slide would allow faster response without revealing a firearm at all. If a perp has a gun out in my face I'm certainly not going to out-draw him, but I might be able to surprise him with a defense he didn't see coming.

Any other thoughts?

·
Lost in transit
Glock 26
6,721 Posts

How many shots have you fired in self defense to make you come to that conclusion?

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
The gun I carry the most is the LCR with 38 Full Wadcutter... so lite I often forget its there
38 WC provides excellent penetration and easy accurate hits due to lots of practice
No snag, wonderful DA trigger, I love them

If 5 round capacity gets your panties in a bunch...
Carry a second one in your opposite pocket
Also helps prevent walking in circles

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Kinda like...this? 😎

Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

Model 38 in nickel, circa 1972.

But a 638, 642, 442, etc. would work just as well imo. I use this one occasionally for late night dog walks doing exactly what you're contemplating. Can easily fire right through a pocket.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
That’s sexy. My lcrx is not.

·
Registered
9,229 Posts
The gun I carry the most is the LCR with 38 Full Wadcutter... so lite I often forget its there
38 WC provides excellent penetration and easy accurate hits due to lots of practice

Its definitely a great option if you want light, revolver and a good trigger.

But man, do I hate shooting mine. I’ll take a hot to nuclear .357, 10mm, .44 mag any day over +P in my LCR for practice and range time. Even weak standard pressure are unpleasant IMO.

But as a jacket pocket option, very good. I use mine primarily for deep winter days when I need to have my good parka zipped up (usually -10 and lower) and can’t get to my real carry gun reasonably fast.

OP, decent option in a jacket pocket. Slow, especially seated as a pants pocket option. Think of how limited you’ll be with range of motion in a jacket pocket as well in a car, especially if approached from the passenger side. I like my carry gun at about 1-2 o’clock, easy to reach even belted in and the shirt covers it nicely while seated (though I live in a free state so I move my shirt/jacket clear when I belt i for ease of access).

Reactions: mj9mm

·
Registered
9,229 Posts
Revolvers aren't sexy, but they sure go bang every time.
I always feel like I’m alone in having a cylinder jam up tight in the field. No tap rack bang is gonna clear that.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I was in 2 circumstances where I had my 442 inside a winter jacket, on target, and ready to fire. It would have been a very unexpected shock (hydra type) to the target. As a matter of fact, that capability was one of the reasons I bought it.
I still usually use the shoulder rig for driving situations though.

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
I used to carry a G19 year around, and had to dress accordingly. I moved to Texas, with the heat and light clothing in summer I started pocket carrying a no lock S&W 442. I got used to it and now carry it year around. For pocket carry I insist on a stiff holster that has good retention and covers the trigger. I feel well armed with Underwood Wadcutters. And I carry a couple of speed strips.
Tool Gas Auto part Font Bicycle part

·
Registered
89,066 Posts
As a tangential follow up to the carjacking thread that I started a few days ago, it got me to thinking about this sort of situation and which firearm might be the most efficient in this type of situation. Here in the looney-land of Lori Lightweight and Jussie Smollet's favorite DA, where so much as exposing a weapon could be charged with brandishing I was thinking about something that could be a better defense in one of these lighting fast situations and perhaps in winter clothing a Glock would be too slow. Thinking out loud, a small pocket sized revolver seems like a possible solution.

As I watch the videos of carjackings I can see that this all goes down there is no time to think, let alone respond until the perp is in your face. And in Woke-ville you can't draw prematurely lest you be considered the "provocateur". I'd always thought that were I ever attacked I'd have time to see my assailant coming. I'm not thinking that any longer. So I was thinking, are there any advantages to a small, revolver to be carried in a pocket which could be fired through ta jacket pocket in a fast, close quarters encounter where there wasn't time to draw and possibly use the gun as a deterrent?

Any thoughts on pocket carry and/or which revolver (if any) I should be thinking about?
I'd get a S&W 442/642 .38spl.

·
Registered
13,359 Posts
well dang... my j frame is an exposed trigger model637. i bought it just because some years ago. i have ankle carried it and IWB, never really thought about pocket, as shooting from the pocket. i suppose i should have thought ahead and looked around for a shrouded version. but hey, you guys shooting from the pocket will probably start your jacket on fire 😂 🤣 😂... i just carry any little gun i got in my coat pocket, it's a pretty simple action to slide it out into action...

·
Registered
6,187 Posts

The New York reload is a time-honored option.

·
NRA Life Member
5,974 Posts
I prefer the S&W 637 that has the hammer. I carry mine daily in an Uncle Mikes pocket holster. I like having the single action option available. Everyone will tell you that the hammer snags but I’ve found that’s a problem in theory but not practice. But if the alleged snag factor bothers you, get the 642. All of these are great revolvers.

·
NRA Life Member
5,435 Posts
I'm the full-on Renegade...

S&W 640-1 Pro, Night Sights, rocking a Desantis Clip Grip - The grip has a wing for the right-handed folks that holds the pistol on your sweatpants or belted jeans nicely. Not very easy to draw when seat belted but easy when out shopping and quick trips to the store. It took a bit to adjust - have had it slide down my pants leg once and adjusted that going forward! (LOL) It is a solid pistol that soaks up recoil of the .38 +P 125GrHP's.

It also fits well in cargo pants and jacket pockets - and it's better to replace a jacket than have the police tell my wife to come to the morgue to identify me... I haven't really figured out how to shoot from that lower 'Cargo" pocket just yet, but I keep tryin... 🤣

I carry 2 ea 6 round strips just in case the first 5 don't work effectively.

Being a BOOMER, I like the idea that "Press to Flesh" won't take a slide out of battery... 😏

On the road for long distance trips the G27 or G23 are riding along as the additional mags n ammo and target engagement are a bit enhanced as I compete with these tools a couple times per year.

Hmmm... I'm thinking I'll have to shoot a match now just to see how long it takes to reload that 5 shot badass pistol... 😎

1 - 20 of 178 Posts