Home > Political & Other Important Issues > Political Issues > Retail Chains Abandon Manhattan: ‘It’s Unsustainable’

Retail Chains Abandon Manhattan: ‘It’s Unsustainable’

1. "Retail Chains Abandon Manhattan: ‘It’s Unsustainable’

Some national chains, both retail and restaurants, are closing outlets in New York City, which are struggling more than their branches elsewhere.

For years, Bryant Park Grill & Cafe in Midtown Manhattan has been one of the country’s top-grossing restaurants, the star property in Ark Restaurants’ portfolio of 20 restaurants across the United States.

But what propelled it to the top has vanished.

The tourists are gone, the office towers surrounding it are largely empty and the restaurant’s 1,000-seat dining room is closed. Instead, dinner is cooked and served on its patio, and the scaled-down restaurant brings in about $12,000 a day — an 85 percent plunge in revenue, its chief executive said.

Five months into the pandemic, the drastic turn of events at businesses like Bryant Park Grill & Cafe that are part of national chains shows how the economic damage in New York has in many cases been far worse than elsewhere in the country.

In the heart of Manhattan, national chains including J.C. Penney, Kate Spade, Subway and Le Pain Quotidien have shuttered branches for good. Many other large brands, like Victoria’s Secret and the Gap, have kept their high-profile locations closed in Manhattan, while reopening in other states.

Michael Weinstein, the chief executive of Ark Restaurants, who owns Bryant Park Grill & Cafe and 19 other restaurants, said he will never open another restaurant in New York.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/11/nyregion/nyc-economy-chain-stores.html "

Cough....rioting....cough.....

2. This thrills the Communists. Once they take over, they’ll take over Ark Rest.

3. Mayor Bill can purchase the restaurant and turn it into a cafeteria for the homeless that are staying at the nearby 5-star hotels.

4. Bill De Blasio is applying that Venezuela magic on his fair city. sunnies.gif

5. We are witnessing the death of New York City. Watch closely. This is a once in a generation event.

6. New York City and Manhattan. The Detroit and Chicago of the East Coast.

7. Surprised that the story didn’t mention about so many of the wealthy New Yorkers have fled the city to ride out the virus. Surely that did not help matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Sadly in doing so they may stay away and infest wherever the go with a much worse disease than ChicomFluV19.

9. It did. Thing is, they may have left until COVID is gone, but... COVID will never be gone and they will also come to realize, as NYC spirals down the drain, that there is no reason to ever go back.

10. Downtown Chicago will be next, after this past weekend.

11. It will take two generations to turn around NYC. The question is in what decade to the want to start.

12. It's not the rioting that's killing NYC, it's DeBlowsguys and Cortez that are killing NYC.

Chicago and L.A. are not far behind either.

Lightfoot has already been begging retailers not to leave but the events of this weekend sure aren't going to help and it's not just going to be downtown that gets abandoned.

13. The Dems have a new business model to fill the empty buildings.
    [​IMG]

14. No tears or sympathy from me. The democRATs of NY deserve everything that has happened. They voted in the America hating democRATs so now they have to live with what they bring to the city.

Now lets see how they vote in Nov. Will they vote in the same democRATs? Some how I think they will.

15. There will be repeats in other cities in case you miss the NYC debacle. But you are right in that NYC is the biggest and has been ripe for disaster for a long time.

16. Use new york and seattle and la and portland and Minneapolis for missile testing

17. Chicago allready is just a backstop. From shootings

18. Remember the old Movie "Escape from New York"? That's what Manhattan will look like in a few years.

19. GOOD they all should SHUT DOWN and MOVE, see how the city likes the revenue/tax hit it will suffer

20. Decline of Western Civilization. Anything that was worthwhile in that big town is going to be gone. Just millions of poor people.

21. What's going on in Chicago this weekend?

22. It sounds like the 420,000 that have already left have fled to suitably liberal places. The Hamptons, Connecticut, etc.

23. I was born in NYC in 1975. I moved to the Midwest when I was three but from what my mom told me about NYC in the seventies it was not a nice place. Crime, blight, etc.

Looks like it’s coming full circle.

Glad mom had the sense and the means to get us outta there!

24. in other news, citizens from NY are fleeing to other states with sanity...and plan to vote democrat once settled...rinse and repeat

25. they're making $12k a day eating food on the patio?? wow life is good who knew

26. My sister-in-law is one of 5 higher ups in a major corporation located in Manhattan. All 5 have relocated to various areas around the country and have no plans to return to NYC, ever. They have learned that they can function well via the internet and have no need to pay $15,000/mo to live in "Crime City East!"

She and her husband are living in the mountains of Montana.

27. How does she vote?

28. The restaurant i work at in eastern Kentucky would go out of business just doing $12000 a day. For a restaurant that size id imagine there is no way to keep afloat without loans.

29. Not sure and I don't know her very well, as she has always been away on business, living in the east.

From what I can tell, she's pretty conservative and her husband was Special Forces, an avid gun guy. They both hunt and fish a lot and love living free. He and I have had many gun/political conversations and I know he is conservative and loves Trump. He saw and loved my reloading setup!

My wife's family is a mixed bunch. Some very conservative and some very liberal, not in the antifa type, but rather in the older school democrat sense.

My wife, when I first met her about 15 years ago, tended to be more like the above described liberal mindset, but after hanging out with me, has had her eyes opened and is now a staunch conservative, albeit, quietly. (she's a yoga instructor with a lot of touchy, feely, libs, and she needs to keep it toned down.)

Her epiphany came after the Michael Brown incident, learning how the media spun stories (CNN) to tarnish the police.

30. Quad Cities? Which one? I'm in Dport. :)

31. I applaud their leaving...THAT is how you get your voices heard...vote with your wallets

32. I wonder what their rent and fixed overhead costs are in their location...

33. Arg, I forgot to write the word "past" in there. I'll edit it.

Though, I'm sure there'll be something awful happening there this weekend as well.

34. Much like Seattle, I have in laws who live in NYC and I do like them, so I am a little sympathetic.

But they do support this nonsense so only a little.

35. They will blame Trump

36. The more people that leave NYC the better. Maybe those of us that live in upstate NY might just have a chance to flip this state to red. Maybe, just maybe, we wont have to live under the dictatorship of communist democRAT voters for once.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

37. Maybe they fear cuomo might put them all in nursing homes, so they packed up and left.

[​IMG]

38. [​IMG]

39. I have a client who owns a shop in NYC. I am encouraging her to close it, and save herself the trouble. She's almost there.

40. If you don't mind me asking (and it's okay if it's not my business), did she relocate and escape to become a transplanted NYC progressive liberal, or as a conservative who realized she could get out and relax?

EDITED: Please excuse me for having posted the above without having made further to see your Post #29. I withdraw the question. :)

41. As much as I hate what de Blasio and his henchmen are doing in NYC, it’s unfortunate to see one of our most prominent cities, one of the most famous cities in the world, going down the tubes.

Manhattan was once an exciting place to do business. With Wall Street, fine restaurants and hotels and theaters, it was always an adventure to visit the city. Now, it’s a city on the verge of serious decline; how far it will drop no one knows. A new mayor is desperately needed.

The turmoil in NYC will have ripple effects throughout the world of business and high finance unless something changes very soon. It will be interesting to watch, but it may be sad to see.

42. It's just not NYC...

It's Chicago, Seattle, Portland, Detroit, Baltimore, take your pick. Urban blight. Who wants to live in a cesspool and moreover, attempt to raise children and a family in such an environment. You can't even walk down the street without getting robbed, stepping on a syringe, or see homeless people begging everywhere.

And zero, zip, nada, federal dollars should be given to these lefty liberal sh--holes to rebuild or for whatever garbage lie they will tell to get money to line their pockets and give away. You broke it, you fix it. Until people start electing the right people to deal with these issues... history will continue to repeat itself.

43. All run by democRATS... hmmmmmmmmm, what could go wrong :cheers:
    If people cant see these democRATS for what they have done, well then they should have their voting rights taken away. DemocRAT voters ARE the problem. Thats why these places are burning.

44. It can, and will, come back. But, they'll need different leadership, or at least a different leadership style, to do that.

45. damn, I am glad I am old, heading out..........

46. bq-5ca76942723e5.jpg

47. 1973-74 junior and senior year of high school my buddies and I would drink beer on the roof of a 12 story building overlooking the Lower East Side aka Alphabet City, Thompkins Square.

We used to be able to walk around there as 8 and 9 year olds to go to the library or the playgrounds. 1972 the fires and the gunfights started. We would just watch the different police and fire operations going on all night. It was ...unbelievable, and it only got worse until Guliani became Mayor.

48. Whenever I see one of those things I wonder what it will look like in 60 years, thinking of the old Navy vets I knew with the faded blob tattoos on arms no longer muscular.

It'll just be dropping loose skin everywhere, and can't be sanitary.

49. C'mon, man. That guy's not planning to make it another 60 years...

50. In March things were ok. Within 4 months of Democrats being Democrats, the city is a ****ing ghost town. I've seen videos and no one is around. Storefronts are boarded up. It looks like something from an apocalyptic movie, but it's just life under Democrat rule.

California chased all the big companies out and let those wonderful Democrats spread out among the red states. I said they were intentionally doing that. Now we have NYC and a lot of other parts of NY doing the same thing. They'll flee Chicago next. It's no longer a guess if they are intentionally doing this any longer.