Resume writing services

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by volky, Jul 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. volky

volky NRA Member Millennium Member

There's plenty of them out there with prices to match. I need to get a new one that's up to speed. Which one has anyone used with success? How about turnaround times?

Just a standard one in the technical services field.

2. RPK Clone

RPK Clone

Dont they have free forms on the internet where you just plug in your info and it spits it out? Maybe I'm wrong.
    Either way, I'm following this thread because I need to do one also.

3. volky

volky NRA Member Millennium Member

Yeah, I found plenty of free ones, you still need the proper buzzwords and wording. That's where I'm lacking. Also, I don't want to get passed over because it didn't catch someone's attention.

In this case, it may be worth exactly what you paid for it.

RPK Clone likes this.
  4. Rabid Rabbit

Rabid Rabbit

Writing services are for generic resumes which worked until computers came along making editing easy. Now you should edit each resume for each job nobody outside your industry knows the buzz words like you. the best advice that I received was to write for each resume and write to hit their hot points, you have between 11 to 17 seconds to make the first cut. the guy that told me this watched and timed the entire process and several companies.

Bud0505 and Biggsly like this.
  5. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

You should know the "hot points" to make.
    Do your own unless there is a service around that does them for your field.

Rotn1 likes this.
  6. racerford

racerford

In almost all the big companies, they are first screened by computer. Then some get read by humans. So a perfect resume for the computer screen could easily fail the human reading and the converse is true.

There are sites out that that compare your resume against the job description and tell you how well you match.

www.jobscan.co is one of them.

blackjack likes this.
  7. blackjack

blackjack

LinkedIn does the comparison automatically if you've loaded your profile. Click on the featured job and it will give you a match percentage. This is part of the basic, no-charge website. It's not a deep dive into a resume or the more esoteric buzzwords but it's a good reality check, IMO.

Best advice given in the thread so far is to have a solid, basic resume that you can tweak to match the job announcement's knowledge, skills, and abilities. The same applies to the cover letter. I just did this a couple of days ago for an interesting job. I'm not really actively searching but the LinkedIn match was very close so I thought I'd jump into the mix to see what happens.

8. Rotn1

Rotn1

Get a book or use a website that shows you different lay-outs and styles.
    Write it yourself.
    No one knows you and your skills better than you.

9. Biggsly

Biggsly Good looking deplorable

I agree with a lot of what the others said. Just have a pretty solid resume and make little changes for the company that you are wanting to work for. My company works work wide. We are huge. I know that when people just send their resume to the website, it is checked for buzz words and then is looked at by recruiters. The best thing you can do is skip this process. Find someone that works in one of the offices and get your resume to them. I look at them every week. When people call and ask about working here, I tell them to send their resume to me, or even better, bring it in. I don't look for buzz words. I read it and look for who I think is a good match. When I interview I look at the big picture.
    1. Personality
    2. Is this person going to fit in with the people here, or clash
    3. Are they willing to listen and learn?
    4. Are they going to stick around, or just passing through?

Anyone can learn a skill and task, if everyone likes them and they are dependable and care about the job.

I don't care if you are the most skilled person on the planet, if you don't want to learn, or if you clash with the employees, it is not going to work.

KWalrad likes this.
  10. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846

You can write your own much easier. The format is on the net. All you have to do is tell the truth with a little exaggeration, but don't lie! Remember under hobbies do not mention anything that could be considered violent, racist, or political. Be sure to clean up your facebook page.

11. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

For whatever it's worth...
    When I'm on a search committee, I look for a cover letter to tell me how a person's resume fits the job and company applied for.

Without effectively doing that, I'm not likely to read the resume with much interest.