Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently bought an older G21 police trade-in because the price was right. I already own a few g21's but that's besides the point. :supergrin: Anyway, I sent the slide off to be refinished because frankly...I just can't stand the sight of an ugly, mistreated weapon. Now that the metal is being taken care of, I need to find a way to fix up the frame. While it's not in the saddest shape imaginable their is much more to be desired. Some parts of the plastic are shiny from being handled excessively. In addition their are some light scratches and gouges on it throughout.

Do you think some light sandpaper and a rit-dye job would really make a big difference?

What's your suggestion?

EDIT 2/8: Frame Project Complete

Procedure:

First I completely detail stripped the frame and gave it a deep cleaning with Q-tips and gun solvent. Based on the amount of filth extracted from the weapon, evidence suggests this was the first time this poor thing was ever properly cared for. After it's bath, I began sanding the scratches and other impurities down with 300 grit automotive sandpaper. The first phase of sanding took about 40 minutes, and left the gun looking grey and dull...but smooth and cleaner. Then I took 400 grain sandpaper and buffed away the abrasions left from the previous sanding. This phase really started to give me hope that this project would turn out the way I had intended it to. The sandings left the frame smooth to the touch, but I was careful as to not damage the structural integrity of the piece. Then I took out my dremel and lightly buffed over some spots to smooth them out even more, but not enough to create an overly smooth polished look.

Finally the frame was ready for paint...or in this case dye, standard flat black Rit Dye. I heated a pot of water to 185 degrees and prepared a throw-away plastic bowl in the sink. After emptying the contents of the rit packet into the bowl, I gave the frame a quick rinse and then dumped the heated water into the dying bowl. After about 2 hours I removed the frame from the dye with a dental pick and washed it clean. I towel dried the frame before using a blow dryer to make sure it was completely dry. After some oil, I reassembled the frame and was shocked by how it turned out.

Here are some pictures, I'm sorry in advance for the crappy Iphone photo's that don't do it the justice.

Update 2/24: Totally Finished

·
Frisky!
35,968 Posts
Cat can do it.
:wavey:

·
Registered
137 Posts
I would try taking the scratches off with a Scotch Brite type pad then sand blast the frame. Then spray it with Silicone spray to restore the luster.
I would just shoot it till the cows come home:supergrin:. Please post pictures when you are done.

·
Mediocre Member
2,244 Posts
You could trade it in with Glock for a new frame. :dunno:

I like my guns used :supergrin:. Don't worry, it'll still work. I'd just use sand paper if the area is too smooth.

Have you seen what they did to a G21 for a torture test?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh wow I didn't know I could just swap it out with glock for a new frame. I bet the waiting period on something like that is pretty extensive though.

Those torture test pictures are one of the reasons I go to church, geesh. Hahah.

And I know, it shoots like a dream and I'm satisfied with its performance. I'm just one of those guys who likes to have nice things and keep them nice. For example, if someone key'd my car, I know it would still be mechanically sound but cosmetic flaws really grind my teeth.

·
Mediocre Member
2,244 Posts
Oh wow I didn't know I could just swap it out with glock for a new frame. I bet the waiting period on something like that is pretty extensive though.
All I know. It's around $150 last I called asking if I could trade my 2000 made G21 frame for a SF frame. They take the old frame and send a new one with a different number coding, which I forget now exactly what it is.

Glockmeister once had G21 and G21SF receivers, but I haven't seen them on their website lately.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh I see...well I wasn't looking to spend all that much money, maybe some sand paper and rit dye will just have to work.

Regardless I'll post pictures of its final restoration.

·
Mediocre Member
2,244 Posts
When Glock does that is the serial number the same? Do they keep a record of this service?
I thought they put an extra letter on the serial number. I Googled it and only found that they'll send another frame and it'll be mismatched serial numbers.

·
FAHRENHEIT
7,261 Posts
I wouldn't bother much with the frame unless really atrocious.......... BUT; it is your gun.

Post some pics when you get it more pleasing to your eye. :wavey:

·
Registered
294 Posts
I had the same scenario with a G19 and the frame was very shiney in spots. I used fine steel wool to dull the shine and to remove several nicks and scratches. I also blasted the slide with silica sand from Lowes and did a stove top park job on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
uuuuhhh.....

just go shoot it? wear ain't fatal. I have a g-21 that was made in 91, and it has thousands or rounds, and thousands of miles on it. Its not pretty, shows the wear, but has been cared for.

if it functions reliably, i say do not fool with it cosmetically. make it fit you, but glocks aren't meant to be pretty.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had the same scenario with a G19 and the frame was very shiney in spots. I used fine steel wool to dull the shine and to remove several nicks and scratches. I also blasted the slide with silica sand from Lowes and did a stove top park job on it.
Wow that's an outstanding restoration! Ill add steal wool to my grocery list for tomorrow. After I buff out the impurities I'll soak it in jet black rit dye overnight to even out the areas that have tarnished grey. I'll make sure to take before and after pictures and post them.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Tagged:popcorn:

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update: Frame is currently sanded fully cleaned. Just near boiled a pot of water to about 185 degrees and put the disassembled frame into the mix with flat black rit dye. I just finished cleaning all the internals...It's clear no one ever gave a damn about this gun. Slide will arrive at the re-finisher's tomorrow.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's on the first post! I'll edit that post and put up progress pictures as it comes along.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts