close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Restaurant quality Lobstertail... Anyone?

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Mild Bill, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Millennium Member

My brother just called me asking how to do it, consistently good, at home...
    He's new to cooking, but he's really getting into it...
    All the things he's always gone out for, he's trying to do himself...
    He calls all the time, and I give him the step by step / do's and don'ts for all kinds of things---
    but I've never prepared/cooked lobster...

I told him I'd look into it...

Heat, knifework, timing, seasoning...

I don't believe he currently has a grill...

:beer:

2. rhikdavis

rhikdavis U.S. Veteran

3. JPinAZ

JPinAZ

4. jawjaboy

jawjaboy Casual lead ho

Sorry I can't help you Bill, but I have a brief tale(true). When I was a lad, I spent the summer with my brother in Key West back in the early 60's. Learned to snorkel. At summer's end I brought back home 40 pounds of tails from those critters that are native to the area, forgot the term. All my Mother did was bake(broil) them. I remember them being GOOD, although a little chewy, probably due to overcooking. Hey we were use to south GA food! With 40 pounds, we ate lobster for weeks and weeks...no charge!

5. MB-G26

MB-G26 Non-existent STUPID GURL Lifetime Member

Been eons since I had that....

I've made small lobster tails at home - in the distant and far-off past. I think I did them by boiling one time, and under the broiler another.

Here's some foodnetwork links to lobster prep:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_15891,00.html (even if the amount/size he's making differ from the recipe, this one decently outlines the steps and he could adjust accordingly for any difference in size/amount. Explains how to make drawn butter, too.)

And another:

[​IMG]

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_25147,00.html (boiled lobsters)

6. Romadoc

Romadoc

Alton Brown turned me off lobster when he said it was first cousin to the cockroach. UGH!

7. EdTracker

EdTracker GTDS Lifetime Member

yeah but it is a real big roach!

it does have a bit of a yuck factor when you think of it that way. All crustacians are the same way though so it is a bit of a sweeping generalization.

ignorance is bliss

8. Garweh

Garweh CLM

If you are only dealing with the tail, an easy and tasty way to prepare it is to poach or braise it in butter. Remove the meat from the tail. If you want the meat to remain flat, insert a skewer the length of the tail. Melt enough butter to submerge the tail in at least half way. Basically you are going to braise the tail in melted butter over low heat, turn the tail over so that the whole tail is cooked. When finish serve it with the butter used for poaching. Very tender, sweet and delicious.