Rest in Pieces SigSauer

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by WayaX, Mar 10, 2010.

1. WayaX

WayaX Lifetime Member

So I have one Sig 556, and it is a very well built rifle with robust internals, very reliable, and decently accurate (2MOA). When Sig came out with the $300 rebate on new Sig 556's, I thought I'd buy another one to keep it company.

My new rifle was pretty much junk. It had the hump in the receiver, there was already wear on the bolt carrier where it rubbed. The bolt carrier itself was shaped differently to exacerbate the problem. On top of all that, the rail on the inside of the upper receiver was coming un-welded from the stamped sheet metal. The first problem may affect the rifles accuracy. The second problem will affect the accuracy AND may make the rifle unsafe to shoot.

So, I sent the rifle back to Sig with a detailed letter and pictures of the problem.

Today, the rifle arrived back at my door with the following letter:

"The rail and bolt carrier are within factory specifications. The new upper design does not include a weld at the front of the rail."

So that's it. I'm done with SigSauer for good now. The once proud German firearms company has been sold off and it's bastard child offspring that was subsequently purchased and dropped from Swiss Arms is ruining it's good name. I will keep my old Sig 556 because of it's proven record. I will keep my German made Sigs, but this new rifle is going. There will never again be a new Sig pistol added to my collection.

/rant

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  2. oldnoob

oldnoob

Sorry to hear that buddy.

3. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

Sig was a great manufacturer but yeah, it's definitely going downhill.

4. bac1023

bac1023

5. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

Pics???? I'd like to see that debacle.

6. WayaX

WayaX Lifetime Member

I'm attempting to find the letter that I sent to them so I can upload it. It has all the pictures in it.

7. mesteve2

mesteve2

Sig = junk

last four pistols crap

Glocks for me.

Until the Boberg in 10 mm gets into production.

:embarassed:

8. WayaX

WayaX Lifetime Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The pictures had to be scaled down a lot to be uploaded on GT. I hope they give some idea of the issues.

9. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

I realize Sig has made many great guns, but I've never wanted one, and am glad I haven't bought a recent one. They seem to be following in Colt's footsteps. Great company going down the tubes in quality.

10. hardeyes

hardeyes

Hello;

I will never buy another sig, It's like they are running away from their own products.

Then the other impression I get from them, Is like they are trying to Okie-Doke the customer into believing all their different excuses.

Someone over there needs to 'man-up' and take care of the problems going on with their guns.

Twice is enough for me, too.

hardeyes

11. gearjammer351

gearjammer351 EnemyOfTheState

I bought an early 556 and haven't had any issues. I've also owned a few of their pistols and not had any trouble. Actually they were very good quality, but they were older models (most were W. German made).

I was thinking of getting a different version of the 556 in the future, so I'll keep my eye on this issue. A couple of years ago I wanted to try the piston-driven platform (like everyone else!), and when I bought my 556 I waffled between it and an XCR; if QC/build quality problems are becoming common from SigArms, the XCR may be my next rifle purchase.

You should post on the 556 forum, and look there to see if others are finding this as well.

12. WayaX

WayaX Lifetime Member

If I come across German Sigs at a good price, I'll snatch them up. However, SigSauer is the old Schweizerische Industrie Gesellschaft in name only. They're not even the same company past 2000.

13. WayaX

WayaX Lifetime Member

I've posted on Sigforum and Sigarms556.com. And I like you have old Sig pistols and an old 556. They're all great.

14. jamison92

jamison92

I agree. I had five SIG loved them all but had o sell them a couple years back when I had some financial trouble. I did have one of the first run GSR's loved the gun as well as my 226, 229, 220, 239. I look at the new GSR and just buy picking them up I could tell the quality was not the same. I still have six of the German made 226 mags three still in the wrapper for when I replace the 226 I had to let go of. Sad is all I can say. I just hope Glock doesn't make the same mistake.:crying:

15. gearjammer351

gearjammer351 EnemyOfTheState

Slightly OT, but is it still Sig Sauer? or is it SigArms or is it SigSauerArms, or is it SigFarms, SIG, Sauer, Sig USA, Sig please buy our pistols even the ones that look like gay Frenchmen would be embarrased to own them.

Seriously. I wish they would decide what to call the company already,

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  16. chuckman

chuckman

My SIG 1911 came from Exeter. I had to contact their CS and had a horrible experience. Great gun, no problem, but I won't buy a 'new' SIG any longer. I did buy a German P220 Match and a German P226, and they are simply awesome (even though I traded the 220 Match).

17. Palouse

Palouse The Resistance Lifetime Member

I bought a 556 the year they came out. I sold it and am now regretting it.

18. WayaX

WayaX Lifetime Member

I would regret it, too. I would especially regret it if it had Swiss Internals.