Responses down during china virus?

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by Tvov, May 6, 2020.

1. Tvov

Tvov

My department does very limited medical response - only serious / code calls, and/or if the ambulance squad needs us for manpower / lift assist / general help.

So... with this quarantine / shutdown, our call volume has dropped dramatically. During a "usual" week, every day after about 3pm until 6pm I would half expect either an automatic fire alarm due to people coming home and starting to cook, or a car accident from people returning home from work.

We are going days now between calls. We usually average 500 calls a year (small town volunteer department), looks like that will be down substantially this year. Our ambulance department, which is separate from the FD, is full time paid. They go to over 2,000 calls a year, I don't know how their calls are up or down during all this, but I know they are tired of constantly putting on and off PPE, and disinfecting the ambulances.

So, have your non-medical calls lessened? For that matter, what about medical response? More or less?

2. WT

WT Millennium Member

I spoke with the local Chief. Suburban area. Business is down. The initial panic has subsided. The local hospital is not diverting.

Last edited: May 12, 2020

3. medic2258

medic2258

Our BS calls are down. No one wants to go to the hospital for leg pain or a toothache right now because they are scared of catching the rona. However our OD"s are banging right along.

4. Quickling

Quickling

My agency is down about 10-15% or so, and like noted by others our BS calls have tanked.

What scares me is that I am doing half of the chest pains and difficulty breathing calls that I normally do. Those are folks I prefer go earlier than later in their distress.

5. seagravedriver

seagravedriver

We have been way down since this started. Though we are again ramping up. I even got skunked two weeks ago, and that hasn't happened to me in years. We are approaching 5000 so far this year.