close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Response from Trinity University

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by bennwj, Mar 30, 2010.

1. bennwj

bennwj Command Sergeant Major (retired) Silver Member

Yeah, I know there is a thread for this, but I thought some would find the response I got from Trinity University interesting.

This is in response to the Muslim student being upset that her diploma from Trinity University had the phrase, "In the Year of our Lord" on it.

Thanks Mr. Bennett. This is a multi-faceted issue, to be sure. Of course as a student who will graduate soon, transferring is not an option for her. Researching diploma wording is not something most prospective students do, so this certainly wasn’t on her mind when she enrolled. And probably her education here has allowed her to develop a voice she hadn’t had before. In any case, I appreciate your interest in the issue. The important thing for our students is to feel the freedom and support to engage in difficult dialogs. To squelch that would not serve our educational mission. Best wishes.

Mr. David M. Tuttle
    Interim Vice President for Student Affairs/Dean of Students - Trinity University
    One Trinity Place, #40
    San Antonio, TX 78212-7200
    Staffed office: 210-999-8843, Direct line: 210-999-8844, Fax: 210-999-8885
    Northrup Hall, Suite 118
    dtuttle@trinity.edu
    Dean of Students Blog: http://trinitydean.blogspot.com/

2. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

3. silentpoet

silentpoet

So much for standing firm in your faith. I may be a screw up and not the best example, but I do stand firm.

4. raven11

raven11

thanks for writing the letter bennwj, i bet it was a better read then the thread we had on the subject

5. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

Considering how much contempt Muslim's have for the whole "trinity" concept, I still can't believe the student enrolled in a school named after it in the first place. She still has to tell people she graduated from "Trinity" right? And the even if they take the words "in the year of our lord" off of it, the year is still the number from the Christian calender, unless she wants them to change it to the year number on the Muslim calender, and I doubt if that is going to happen.

The whole thing just stinks of a rabble-rouser, and not someone with a valid complaint.

6. dac1204

dac1204

So what they are saying is do not worry about they will bend over backwards for this "student" and give her what she wants. Real good way to stand tuff on issues. Well I can only hope that there business will suffer if they choose to go that route. I would not send my kids there, if I had any.

7. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Translated... "We shall bend to the will of Allah!"

8. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

If you went to a University founded by an Islamic sect and told them you didn't want to have a reference to Allah or the Koran on your diploma they would take you out in the public square and behead you...