close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Resolution for publications...

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by PDogSniper, Nov 29, 2004.

1. PDogSniper

PDogSniper

I have an opportunity to take some pics that may be published in a gun rag and I'm at a loss as to what res to use...

I'm using a Sony F-707 Cyber-shot 5 mp camera. It's range is from 2560x1920, 2560(3:2) to 640x480.

In all my home pics I've just shot the highest res I can and printed them as that and they've come out great. But I don't know how or what the publishers are going to expect or how they'll reprint them.

Should I down size the res to like 1280x960 or keep it high and let them size the pics...?

The thought of having a pic published is new to me and quite frankly, kinda got's me scared $#!+less... Any other time I've taken pics it's been a no pressure deal but this is a opportunity of a life time...

2. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

You really need to ask the publisher. Anything you read here will be just a guess.

3. Nicky D

Nicky D CLM

I can not speak from experience but I believe they may prefer the highest resolution possible. They may even prefer TIF format. But like it was said check with the publisher.

4. RBR

RBR

I would shoot at the highest resolution possible with no compression. Adding pixels generally doesn't work well. Surely they'd have someone/software there that can down-size them if needed. But you might ask to be sure.

5. Guest

Ditto on the shoot in high resolution. Also, if you are capable, shoot in a RAW format. I've sent in submissions ranging from 150dpi at 4x6 to 300dpi double truck so best thing to do is ask the publisher.

6. Aaron S

Aaron S

Are you sure they will accept a digital file? If so, I would make it the highest resolution possible.

7. PDogSniper

PDogSniper

Photo's have been accepted. I believe they will come out in Jan in two publications...

Thing is, this is my first shot at this. The photos I did are going to be free gratius (sp?). There's a couple of blunders but not to serious. I'm just getting my feet wet... I'd be tickled to get my name credited but that isn't done too much in gun rags...

It's pretty bizzare. A person can take 30+ pics of a subject and only choose one, two or three pics from all of those. And even then, there's going to be a glitch in there somewheres....

8. JennYe

JennYe

Exactly correct. Pros typically shoot 100 or more shots for every one published. Shots of models can be even higher.

One must be his own toughest critic. If the shot does not have instant impact, do not use it unless it is of a technical or illustrative nature.

9. T. Harless

T. Harless

I provide clients 300 dpi Tiff files larger than I know they'll ever use them.
    A rule of thumb, for printed publication, is the DPI is twice the line screen of the press. Newspapers, for example, are typically 85 line screen. So anything above 150 dpi is wasted. Glossy mags on the other hand would go to 150 line screen so you send them 300dpi files. I often shoot in camera RAW format but I would never send that file to a client. Todd

10. heat762

heat762 Infidel Member

I'm shocked to find someone here that knows something!!!!!

Kudos

11. T. Harless

T. Harless

12. spober

spober

so what format did you send???????????????????????????????????????
    or is this a bs

13. PDogSniper

PDogSniper

No bs. I sent them in as a jpg at a res of 1280x960 (IIRC). Pictures got printed but (and this is the reason I've never followed up) due to a F***up, I didn't get credit for them. Worse yet, credit went to another person. I was P!$$ed...!:(

14. kato4moto

kato4moto

I don't mind the no-credit deal. Having the credit go to someone else happens to me rarely so it doesn't bother me too much.

But what really iks me is not getting paid. :soap:

ETA: BTW, most of the publications I submit stuff to accept JPG files no problem. With my D2H body, the resolution is something like 2464 x 1632. I'm new to this digital stuff so I'm trying to keep it pretty simple. Only one client so far has requested RAW in addition to JPGs.

15. T. Harless

T. Harless

I'm over the photo credit thing. As long as the name is right on the check.

16. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Well, it's been a while since I did it for a living, but I don't remember having credits mixed up ever. It must be a new trend. Then again, looking at how sloppy the general standards are these days at the print media, this is no surprise, I suppose.