close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Residents Fumed Over Weekend Alcohol, Firearm Ban

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ERASER, Feb 8, 2010.

1. ERASER

ERASER Nyuk,Nyuk,Nyuk!

http://www.wxii12.com/news/22487153/detail.html

Residents Fumed Over Weekend Alcohol, Firearm Ban
    King State Of Emergency Lifted Monday

POSTED: 5:18 pm EST February 6, 2010
    UPDATED: 6:21 pm EST February 8, 2010

Bookmark and Share
    KING, N.C. --
    Residents in King were fumed over the weekend after a state of emergency declaration restricted the sale of alcohol and the carrying of firearms in vehicles.

King Police Chief Paula May said she’s received hundreds of threats related to the restrictions, which banned driving from 12 a.m. Sunday to 5 a.m.

The state of emergency for King was declared by members of the City Council after Stokes County authorities also declared a state of emergency.

Under North Carolina law, May said, when a state of emergency is put into place that includes a ban on driving, the sale of alcohol and carrying of firearms in vehicles is also banned.

“I think there’s been some misinterpretation that I personally have declared martial law and taken away people’s right to bear arms and that’s erroneous,” May told WXII reporter Jermont Terry. “By law, statue 14-288.7 automatically went into effect. And that law which goes into effect when there’s a state of emergency prohibits the transportation, purchase sale and possession of firearms other than on one's own premises.”

The news of the ban created a firestorm of criticism.

“This is absolutely the craziest thing I have ever heard. So far fetched that I am speechless!” one post on WXII12.com read.

“This has to be the most ridiculous event of the century!!!!! This is the ultimate denial of liberties for the most asinine reason...bad weather!!!” another poster wrote.

May said officers did pull people over who were in violation of the curfew driving ban, but no tickets were issued.

[King Police Chief Paula May]
    King Police Chief Paula May More

“We did find some people on the streets,” May said. “We didn’t take any enforcement actions. We spoke to the people driving and helped them to get to where they needed to be.”

May wouldn’t give details on the types of threats other than to say they had been phoned, faxed and e-mailed.

“We have to take them all serious and we’ll investigate to the best of our ability and determine the source of those threats,” she said.

The state of emergency was lifted Monday morning.

2. eXistenZ

eXistenZ Play it.

Stuck at home AND I can't drink?!?! Lame...

3. ERASER

ERASER Nyuk,Nyuk,Nyuk!

She's not taking away their 2nd Amendment rights!

Wait........what?? Oh, maybe she is..............but just a little bit?

4. fyrecrotch

fyrecrotch

:tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil:Watch the video near the end... the "we don't know the mental state of that person" part... :cool:

5. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

How did it not disenfranchise people? The "State of Emergency" voids the Second Amendment. A "State of Emergency" was declared because it SNOWED.

Katrina Vu

[​IMG]

6. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

She is hiding behind she did not declare the "State of Emergency". BUT, her officers DID harass citizens on her watch. She can't have it both ways. IF she supposedly does know that the "State of Emergency" disenfranchises citizens UNCONSTITUTIONALLY, then leave the citizens alone.

7. Tailhunter

Tailhunter Glockman

Why are people so surprised that there are idiots in politics in NC?

8. Tailhunter

Tailhunter Glockman

2 snow flakes and they close the schools ... why is this so surprising. :steamed:

9. ctaggart

ctaggart

State of emergency was declared so the state could obtain federal assistance. Stock up on booze next time.

10. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

And just forget your Second Amendment rights.

11. ctaggart

ctaggart

Yeah...that law doesn't apply to me, soooo. I'll keep on carrying.

12. silentpoet

silentpoet

I do think that law will be changed at the next legislative session. And I expect some politicians to lose their jobs over it which is always a good thing.

13. PipesandGOP

PipesandGOP

Unfortunately I'd say you're a little overly optimistic. State congressional seats in NC rarely change hands and nobody will give 2 craps about this. What they will care about is their state congressman/senator coming to this or that function or how they "got" their area a new library. The history of NC politics won't change over this. While most people in NC probably have a gun in the house, the people that would really get up in arms (no pun intended) over this are in the minority. Most would probably go along with the argument that in a state of emergency you don't need people out in the streets with guns because that opens it up to armed looting/robbery/chaos and takes away needed order from the situation.
    And I especially hope people won't blame the city/county officials over this decision yet I think it will be easy to do after reading the way the article is written. The second the chief told them that the rest of the article should have been about how they contacted their state elected officials- not copies of posts from their website.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  14. Gallium

Gallium CLM

What does Milli Vanilli have to do with school closings? :headscratch:

15. PipesandGOP

PipesandGOP

zzzzzziiiing!

16. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

Oh, another one.

Is it Sunshine Patriot Day and no one told me?!?!?

"I got mine. Screw you guys."

17. PBCounty

PBCounty

This crap gets pulled around here from time to time following a hurricane. No sales of booze, beer and guns, curfews, etc. I never liked the fact that a mayor or county comissioner can wave a wand and it is so with no question. In the past, even well after we were up and running again the curfews remained in place - rumored to be because the mayor (Frankel for the locals) liked it that way.

18. g300d

g300d

You'd hate to be in the Philippines about now...6 months before and a month after the national elections there's a ban on carrying firearms, knives, and basically anything that can be called a weapon. All existing carry permits are suspended. Of course govt officials are allowed to designate two bodyguards and themselves for exemption to this ban...while everyone else can basically FOAD. And it didn't even snow!

19. RioKid

RioKid

Why was a state of emergcency declared if, in fact, it did not snow enough to create a state of emergency?

Why was there a driving curfew imposed? Is it not possible that some people still need to get from point A to point B even during a state of emergency? Did all industries, hospitals, restaurants, motels, etc; close down?

Is there typically a lot of looting during a severe snow storm/blizzard? If mass looting does begin during said snow storm/blizzard could I, as a possible victim of looting, possibly need my gun as I am driving all alone on my way to work at the ER?

This whole story sounds like an attempt to create a "police state" and it backfired on Chief May.

20. KDawg0007

KDawg0007

Snow is a big deal out here. The localities are never prepared for it. They do not know how to deal with it effectively. Any accumulation and the whole area shuts down. People here can't drive in rain let alone some snow and ice.