close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Resetting Trigger Bar on Gen 4 after Field Strip?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by nternal, Feb 27, 2012.

Tags:
  1. nternal

nternal

Man, this is so annoying! I'm a new to guns and, after researching, decided on the Glock 17 for it's sterling reputation for dependability. I just assumed that the latest generation would be best and now I find that may not be the case at all. I bought mine early this month so I'm assuming/hoping I got the reworked (lighter) recoil spring. Then, on top of having to worry about that issue (because I didn't know any better) I was watching a Glock booth review at the 2011 Shot Show and find that Glock is claiming that, when reassembling a G17, one needs to reset the the trigger bar. DAMN!:steamed:
    There is absolutely nothing in the manual about this so what gives? Does one need to reset the trigger bar or not?
    (I certainly havn't been doing this and have cleaned the gun 3 times and put 850 rounds through it in the last 3 weeks.)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  2. texit

texit

Can anyone provide a valid answer to this?

3. A'boy

A'boy fulla hateraid

I have a G4 19 and I have had to do that a few times to get the slide back on but not every time(I just did it now to see and it didn't have to be reset)

4. cciman

cciman

What's the gripe?

What do YOU mean by "resetting the trigger bar"?

The immediate answer I would have is NO, you do not need to do anything to the trigger bar before putting the slide back on.

Apparently in 850 rounds you have not had a problem.

5. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

You should take the Glock and trade it. The only useful thing I have ever learned at Glock Talk is that Glocks suck for new shooters.

6. GRT45

GRT45 Transform & Win

Below are some posts and a video that will help. It's a simple matter of properly positioning the firing pin prior to reassembly. It is not necessary to reset the trigger.

7. tonyparson

tonyparson

I've never had to rest the trigger to put my slide back on my Gen 4 G19..

8. Made in Austria

Made in Austria

The trigger will reset if you pull the slide back too far when removing the slide. Remember, only 1-2mm are needed to remove the slide. If the trigger resets, you pulled it back too far, then you have to do this: Push down the rear part/cross like looking part of the trigger bar till it clicks or, you hold the slide with the muzzle downward and push in the firing pin safety block so that the firing pin can fall down so that the tip of the firing pin is sticking out of the breach face/firing pin hole, then release the firing pin safety block. Either technique will allow you to put the slide back on, IF you pulled the slide back too far. Not every Glock requires this to put the slide back on, only some do, especially gen4's.

Just don't pull the slide back too far when removing the slide!

I hope that makes sense.

9. The_man

The_man

Good video it's just kinda dark.

10. nternal

nternal

I haven't had a problem reassembling my Glock... maybe because I naturally point it down when releasing the slide and also because I follow the manual instructions and pull the trigger before hand. This is the first I've heard of this issue which came up when a Glock rep was showing how to reassemble the 4th gen G17 during a Nutnfancy interview during the 2011 shot show. I guess a more appropriate question might be: "Is it possible to force the slide if the trigger needs to be reset and isn't"?

11. bentbiker

bentbiker

Some guns when they are new have a sticky FP safety plunger and the slide doesn't want to go on because the tab on the trigger bar can't easily depress the plunger when coming at it from this direction. If yours doesn't stick, you need to do nothing.

If you have a gun that tends to hang, don't pull the trigger forward (what you are calling reset); that puts unnecessary stress on the cruciform and trigger mechanism housing. I know what the Marine said, but don't listen. With the slide removed, just depress the FP safety while the muzzle is facing downward. When you release the safety, it grips the FP and holds it loosely in the forward position (sticking through the breech face). This holds the plunger in the depressed position and should allow reassembly without putting stress on the cruciform or the trigger mechanism housing.

12. nternal

nternal

Actually I didn't say "trigger reset"... I said trigger Bar reset (which is an internal tab accessible on the gun action when it's disassembled).

13. Bradd D

Bradd D

I've owned a couple dozen Glocks and I've never had to worry about the position of the firing pin when reassembling a gun.

14. nternal

nternal

Trigger "Bar" is the right terminology and word used by the Glock rep but I might be describing the position as part of the "action" incorrectly. It's in the bottom part of the gun (as opposed to the slide). If you look in the Glock 17 manual on page 35 you will find an "exploded" drawing of the gun. It's part #26. The Glock rep claimed it needed to be "reset" before reassembly.

15. Bradd D

Bradd D

I believe that rep is incorrect.

16. bentbiker

bentbiker

Part #26 is the "Trigger with Trigger Bar." All the metal is the bar. It doesn't matter whether you pull the trigger forward or whether you push the tab on the trigger bar forward -- it achieves the same end. The trigger safety is forced to hold the bar forward against the full tension of the trigger spring. Then when you push the slide on, the lug on the firing pin contacts the cruciform while it is resting on the upper level of the drop safety and can't move downward. Thus, the cruciform and trigger housing must absorb all the stress as the FP lug forces it down and then snaps over the end of the sear. The man is repeating what he was told, but he was given bad information. Tech reps at Glock have admitted that this is not the best way to solve the problem, but not everyone has gotten the word. Regardless, you don't need to do either if your slide goes on easily; it is just a solution for those with a reassembly problem -- it serves no other purpose.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  17. nternal

nternal

So back to my question. I'm green enough that if the slide didn't go back on easily I might have been tempted to forced it (I don't recall doing this but I'm on info overload right now). Would it be this be possible or would the slide just not go back on.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  18. Bradd D

Bradd D

Glock reps have been giving out bad info for years.

19. nternal

nternal

Oh well, I'm probably worried about nothing. It looks like, having bought my gun this month, I have the latest spring as well. I'm just a little paranoid I guess because this gun is really growing on me. Like I said, with 850 rounds in the last 3 weeks (after never having fired shot before), I'm having a lot of fun with this classic masterpiece of a gun.

20. Bradd D

Bradd D

What will happen with a Glock sometimes is that the trigger bar will catch inside the slide if you aren't running the slide back on fairly straight. If it hangs up, just bring the slide a little towards you and it will go right on.