close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rescue Divers

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by DTD2, Sep 7, 2006.

1. DTD2

DTD2 vote or die

Are any of you? :yodasmiley:

I need new training ideas for our dive team. Am open to suggestions...

2. akulahawk

akulahawk

Perhaps you could contact Sacramento's DART. They're at dartsac.org and I'm sure someone will be happy to help you out. I am not a member, but their divers are quite good. If they can't help you directly, they will probably know of some other folks in the public safety / rescue diver community that can help.

I'd rather not be...
    :drowning:

3. DTD2

DTD2 vote or die

Thanks for the link.

4. tully_mars

tully_mars SAR Tech

5. DTD2

DTD2 vote or die

We are DRI certified, along with PADI and we with dive DUI fundimentals. However training has become mundane as of late. Just looking for ideas to liven it up. We can't flip cars in the lake all the time. Or have ice year round. You can only do so many search pattern revolutions.

Just looking for new ways to get em wet.:supergrin:

6. tully_mars

tully_mars SAR Tech

Ohhh, I see said the blind man. Or should that be the blackwater diver.

We now use sidescan sonar quite a bit in our searches, for training we will go out and scan the rivers looking for objects and then when we see someting interesting we will dive for it. Usually executing some type of search pattern depending on what we find. So far we have found two sunken docks and one older wooden shrimp boat sunk in a river from a hurricane.

This helps our sonar recognition and scanning techniques as well as search work in the water.

Like you, probably, we have retrieved way too many clay pigeons in rivers to be interesting anymore.

TM

7. DPH11

DPH11

+1 for Dive Rescue Intl. :thumbsup:

They have a good group of instructors and a lot of very good information to pass along through their classes. Our team is now about 80% Dive Rescue 1 certified, and about 60% of us did Dive Rescue 2 (Light Salvage & Recovery and Current Diving) last summer. One of the best parts about Dive Rescue Intl is that they send the instructor AND all of the specialty gear needed for the class. The only thing that your dept is responsible for is gear for the divers, the dive site, and that sort of stuff. Really a very good program.