Republicans want Minnesota businesses liable for banning guns

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by TBO, Feb 22, 2020.

1. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 7th Street South, Minneapolis, MN 55454
  2. OttoLoader

OttoLoader

If that was a news article it was more of an opinion article.

Used deceptive terminology such as in the embedded link "gun safety" when actually meant gun control.
    Theme
    Critical of the rascally Republicans and as expected favorable to the "gun safteyers "(gun controllers).

But hey it is Minnesota.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020

3. JK-linux

JK-linux

I love the idea, but it ain't ever happening here in "reliably blue" MN. You'd have better luck seeing a law passed making business liable if they don't specifically disallow guns on premise.

4. Lord

Lord Senior Member

chiefjack likes this.
  5. Patchman

Patchman Florist

I like the beaver-chewing-on-your-car-tire scenario.

slamdunc and jr24 like this.
  6. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

As a gun-guy... I like the idea of being able to carry wherever I want. That said, I see this legislation and the legislation allowing people to sue gun manufacturers to be two flavors of the same thing. You are essentially blaming a business for the criminal actions of Criminals. In a private business, I have the right to not set foot inside or give them my money if they don't respect my right to carry.

That said, I think there is something to be said for the "limited liability" of these businesses. IF a business gets the liability shield from the state government associated with being an LLC or S-Corp, then that should come with restrictions on WHO or WHAT they may discriminate against. I think it would make more sense to advocate for making gun-owners a protected class (like the handicapped) that a business (with Government limited liability) cannot reject.

For sole-proprietorships (people without limited liability), the state should have zero business to tell them who they may and not do business with.