Republican Senators Lisa Murkowski (R-AK) and Susan Collins (R-MN) voted with Democrats on Sunday.

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by Rocks, Oct 25, 2020.

1. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

Collins's vote doesn't matter. Murkowski will vote to confirm tonight.

2. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

Murkowski won't

3. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

Collins got Trump's second Supreme court nominee confirmed but people on here still want to crap on her.

4. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Murkowsky said she would vote with the left-wing on all procedural votes, but would vote yes to confirm, thereby making everybody on both sides hate her for the idiot she is.

5. marchboom

marchboom

Murkowski, Collins & Romney are trouble makers for those of us who believe in the constitution. They just want attention, I guess. They need to be replaced by more reliable people.

nursetim likes this.
  6. Pluto57

Pluto57

Good luck getting Maine to vote in a "real conservative". Anyone who replaces Collins will definitely be to the left of her and in all likelihood will have a D after his/her name.

Murkowski is another story. Alaska should be able to do better.

czsmithGT, Wayward Son and HarlDane like this.
  7. Pluto57

Pluto57

While she may be no different than a Democrat in this particular instance, she doesn't always vote against Trump. Sadly, recently, she has voted against Trump the majority of the time. A Democrat would have done even worse, tho.

Rarely would it be better for a Senate seat to be held by a Democrat rather than a left leaning Republican. Control of the Senate is critical.

czsmithGT likes this.
  8. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Doing no harm to Barrett's confirmation.

Their power exists because the GOP majority is so slim.

czsmithGT likes this.
  9. jeanderson

jeanderson Making America great again!

But what does "control of the Senate" mean if you've got several in your party that vote with the other side?

Sure I'd rather see a Republican majority. What's needed, and never seems to happen, is that RINOs like Collins and Murkowski need to be primaried! (And maybe throw Romney in there) But that never happens. And the reason it doesn't is that all the big money goes to the incumbent.

nursetim likes this.
  10. HarlDane

HarlDane

I understand Collins, she's a moderate Republican in a moderately liberal state. But I've never understood Lisa Murkowski. I always assumed Alaska was pretty conservative, am I wrong on that?

nursetim and Wayward Son like this.
  11. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

Control of the Senate means your party elects the Senate Majority leader who basically decides on everything brought to the floor to vote. Do you want Schumer in that job?

jeanderson, Grabbrass and willie_pete like this.
  12. Jon_R

Jon_R

RGB helped. Sticking around so the first female President could replace her. Didn’t work out so well.

nursetim likes this.
  13. Borg Warner

Borg Warner Free Full Clip!

Alaska is conservative and that's why she's always run as a Republican even though she isn't one. And because Alaska is a conservative state, that's why they won't vote for a Democrat to replace her, and for some reason The Republicans can't find a strong and well financed candidate to beat her in the primary.

A Republican almost beat her years ago, and at first had more votes, but she pulled some strings and launched some kind of write-in campaign and won by a narrow margin. She's part of a big entrenched political machine in Alaska started by her father, Frank Murkowski.

Hopefully the Republican party in Alaska will find a REAL Republican to run against her in the next election.

HarlDane and czsmithGT like this.
  14. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

You want to cut off your nose to spite your face. This is not the Senate of old. They already eliminated the filibuster rule for judicial nominations. If the Dems win the Senate and White House now, they will eliminate the filibuster rule for bringing legislation to the floor. They will pack the Supreme Court. They will vote to make DC and PR States to add 4 more Democrat Senators. And there is not one damn thing you or I can do to stop them. If you want 2 or more likely 4 years of that crap good luck.

15. thewitt

thewitt

Collins needs to be Primaried out in ME and replaced by a real Republican - though I think ME is too far left to make that happen. Losing the seat and risking the loss of the Senate Leadership is a tough pill to swallow though, so I hope she wins this time even though she is about as Republican as Bill Clinton...

jeanderson likes this.
  16. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Collins was challenged in the primary this year.
    She won 98.79% to 1.21%. Maybe she's Maine's only Republican.
    She's not as old as she looks or sounds, she's 67. Seems much older. :fred:

czsmithGT likes this.
  17. Fred Florist

Fred Florist

We should worry about whether Lindsey Graham is going to make it back in Jan.

czsmithGT likes this.
  18. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

Right now it isn’t looking good for Graham and a few other Republican Senators. Hopefully things will change in a week.

Fred Florist likes this.
  19. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

And you get to Chair all the Committees which decide what gets through there too.

20. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

I would volunteer, but I'd need vart to loan me his trailer so I could move all my ****. Also, I smoked weed once on May 3, 1984. And I smoked weed once on May 4, 1984. And I smoked weed once on May 5, 1984 .....