Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Right wing nut
9,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called the non-emergency number to report a 14 or 15 year old girl driving (speeding) a motorcycle through our neighborhood tonight. After dark. No lights (bike has no tags and isn't street legal). I almost hit her as she sped around me in the dark.

She does this all the time so I went to her house and spoke to her mom for the first time. Mom didn't seem to care too much. I'm tired of it and don't want her hurt and someone having to live with it so I called it in. Turns out I was the second call and an officer was already in route.

What happens next? Do you knock on the door and give a warning? I know you can't cite her if you don't see it. Is this worth calling in? Should I handle it differently?

The girl will get killed if she keeps it up. People were specifically complaining about this at the last HOA meeting.

·
Registered
44,708 Posts
Keep calling the police if it keeps happening. Do NOT talk to the girl or parents about it anymore.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Keep calling the police if it keeps happening. Do NOT talk to the girl or parents about it anymore.
This^^^^.. Sound advice...

·
Da Da
7,230 Posts
My wife had a similar run in in our old neighborhood in OKC.

She honestly though the guy was going to hit her and she jumped out of the way and landed hard on her side.

Called the PD, they responded, the driver,18, lived a few houses away, also he was the local HS Valedictorian, graduation was less then a month, full collage run waiting for him if her survived the arrest.

We cut a deal with the parents while the kid was cuffed in the cruiser. He looses his license and the car for the remainder of his time here (3 months) or we press charges.

Cop was good with it, so the kid walked. Mom was actually in tears. I actually never did see the kid again. He avoided our street like the plague.

Bad driver problem solved.

Sometime's there is nothing like a little cuff time in a cruiser to wake up an idiot.

·
Registered
33,225 Posts
Don't talk to the police! :supergrin: snitches get stitches. :animlol:

·
Right wing nut
9,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was a little leery of making contact as it was already well after dark and our neighborhood is not well lit. My wife thought it would be best to try and talk to the parents before calling the police.

The girl's house is for sale and there was no dad around, just a few teenage boys. The mom wasn't rude or confrontational, just didn't seem to care. I kinda wonder if it's a divorce situation with the house being for sale, no man, and kids a little out of control.

I never spoke to the girl. She was still riding the motorcycle when I went to her house.

I'll have to see if I can find a free police report to see if anything came of it. I don't intend to make contact again. I'll call the police first next time.

LEO's, what do you actually do in this situation? Talk to mom? Keep coming out? Am I just being a PITA for you? I'm really curious about the nuts and bolts. Do you knock and the door and say there've been some complaints?

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
If I'm not busy ill sit in the area. If I catch them, they get cited for everything I can write them for and I impound the moped or whatever.

Smaller departments are usually very good at solving "quality of life" problems while larger cities may not. It all depends.

·
Right wing nut
9,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
I was a little leery of making contact as it was already well after dark and our neighborhood is not well lit. My wife thought it would be best to try and talk to the parents before calling the police.

The girl's house is for sale and there was no dad around, just a few teenage boys. The mom wasn't rude or confrontational, just didn't seem to care. I kinda wonder if it's a divorce situation with the house being for sale, no man, and kids a little out of control.

I never spoke to the girl. She was still riding the motorcycle when I went to her house.

I'll have to see if I can find a free police report to see if anything came of it. I don't intend to make contact again. I'll call the police first next time.

LEO's, what do you actually do in this situation? Talk to mom? Keep coming out? Am I just being a PITA for you? I'm really curious about the nuts and bolts. Do you knock and the door and say there've been some complaints?
If she's under 18, it almost certainly won't show up in any sort of blotter report. I got hit by an under-18 driver last year and she got quite a few cites out of it, but doesn't show up for public consumption because of her age.

Since you called the police, you MIGHT be able to request a report, but be prepared to be told no.

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Just keep calling. If enough people call the police, they will sit someone there to catch her because they are tired of you calling in. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I've also cited someone before using the witnesses (we have a witness spot on the back of our court copy of the citation). Especially if you have multiple people calling. Put them all in and they (the witnesses) would have to testify. But I wouldn't do it with just one person as a witness unless I saw it myself.

·
Right wing nut
9,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good advice. I really hope the girl doesn't go to court. I want her and her mother to really understand and believe her behavior is dangerous. I also don't want anyone having her injury or death on their conscience.

·
Registered
33,225 Posts
You're in luck, a growing number of people in the U. S. Have no conscience. So the odds are whom so ever creams the little darling will sleep soundly.

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
You're in luck, a growing number of people in the U. S. Have no conscience. So the odds are whom so ever creams the little darling will sleep soundly.

.....so many (highly inappropriate) jokes, so little time....

·
GTDS Member #49
10,104 Posts
My son was shoveling gravel at the end of his driveway when a neighbor hauled butt past at 50 plus. Residential road with a limit of 25. Son had to jump out of the way. He calls the neighbor in for a possible REDDI. Trooper shows up at my son's house instead of the offender and proceeds to tell my son he could be arrested for having a deadly weapon since he was holding the shovel when the offender drove by. Cop then says he has to go to another call, and never goes to the offenders house down the street.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts